Author Topic: Avast Problem with XP  (Read 4425 times)

bored

Avast Problem with XP
« on: September 06, 2004, 01:48:40 PM »
Hi,

I've got Windows XP (Home) and recently a lot of the windows components don't work. Fotr example I can't use IE 6 to check my e-mails and Windows Media Player says it has an internal error, and the Search and Hlep and Support options don't work.

I think this started after I had a problem with Norton antivirus, so I uninstalled it and tried avast.  Avast  said that I had trojans and viruses and to delete the files it had suggested, so foolishly I did and after that nothing worked.

Do any of you have any idea how to get everything back to normal?

Thanks.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Avast Problem with XP
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 01:53:36 PM »
I recommend that you fully reinstall Windows installation.
As i can read,its pretty trashed and it would be simply too much work to get it back online. I would do the proceedure,but for me only,typing what to do over the board or MSN is a killing task.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 02:03:23 PM »
From what you told us, I agree with RejZor that a clean installation is advised to do. If you don't want that (yet?), you can try a in-place repair as explained HERE

bored

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 02:16:51 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the responses, the only problem with reinstalling everything is that I'd have to back everything up and it would take ages. I'll have a look at the link to check if it helps.

Thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 09:55:57 PM »
I think this started after I had a problem with Norton antivirus, so I uninstalled it and tried avast.

Almost every headache starts with Norton.
But, sure, each headache starts when you do not uninstall Norton properly...

Avast said that I had trojans and viruses and to delete the files it had suggested, so foolishly I did and after that nothing worked.

When a virus is found, the wise thing to do is send the file to Chest for further analysis.
You seem to have deleted a system (must have) file...  :'(

Do any of you have any idea how to get everything back to normal?

The better will be a fully reinstall like RejZor and Eddy suggested.
If you don't want, try first reinstall Windows over your last installation, I mean, repair the Windows installation. You will need to 'update' through Windows Update page.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 11:43:30 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 10:02:09 PM »
the only problem with reinstalling everything is that I'd have to back everything up and it would take ages.
creating a backup is something you should have done from the start. First time a full backup, after that (at least) incremental backups. Think about it. Now you are facing a software error, but what if it was a hardware error? eg hd defect....... You wouldn't be able to backup at all if that happens.

Why speaking about a backup AFTER something has gone wrong? A backup is ment to preserve data/applications, so you do it before something goes wrong.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 10:04:34 PM by Eddy »