Author Topic: Cannot Connect To Server - REVISITED  (Read 1694 times)

Sasnak

Cannot Connect To Server - REVISITED
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:30:24 AM »
I have read several posts on here about the "cannot connect to server" message, but do not recall seeing anything definitive in explaining how to resolve this.

Just to recap, the error message occurs when I attempt to perform a manual update.  The auto-update results in " the last attempt... was unsuccessful"

I was able to register the prog (which appears to be on a different server?) without any issues.

Presently, I have reinstalled the APP and manually added the latest VPS.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sasnak

Sasnak

Re: Cannot Connect To Server - REVISITED
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:19:57 PM »
After spending 2+ hours in chat with an Avast tech support person (who was spinning his wheels), I finally got the issuse resolved.  The resolution came from another tech who I had on the phone, this after the beforementioned tech wanted me to wipe my PC and see what happens.

It took the phone tech less than five minutes, and BAM!!!! it was fixed.

So, check this if you are having the problem that I was having -

From the Avast interface, select

Settings
Updates
Proxy Settings (there are three possible bullet settings),choose Direct connection (no proxy)
OK

Normally it is set to Auto detect (use Internet Explorer settings), but I suspect that if you are using a wireless data device like AT&T 3G it could present a problem.  This is just a guess, as I have not been able to replicate the problem.

janelte

Re: Cannot Connect To Server - REVISITED
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »
Thanks for your info. I had the same problem with updating on a 2nd computer in the house. Your solution solved my problem also.
Thanks for posting (and not wiping your PC, haha)
Janelte.