Author Topic: Win32: Trojan-gen  (Read 22873 times)

Jeccu

Re:Win32: Trojan-gen
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2004, 11:30:36 PM »
Ok, one more thing:
The Spybot- Search & Destroy keeps finding this error, DSO Exploit, and everytime I fix it, but it always comes back.  Is there anything I can do?
Thanks!

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=7240

seabass76

Re: Win32: Trojan-gen
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 02:25:02 PM »
mmmmmmm, I just as I thought Avast was bomb proof I get this trogen !, ownly to find the ownly recommendations on the forum is another program ! has Avast no answers to this ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »
Well since you give zero information on your detection we can't say if your problem is one and the same, because this signature can detect multiple trojans and variants. Not to mention you are opening a topic that is almost 5 years old and much would have changed since this trojan-gen detection.

The avast Win32:Trojan-gen is generic signature (the -gen at the end of the malware name), so that is trying to catch multiple variants of the same type of malware and is a fine balance between detecting a new variant and detecting something valid as infected.

What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe - Or check the source file using notepad C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Warning.log
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:14:44 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

seabass76

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 05:08:34 PM »
hi ,David R , sorry just seeing if theres life out there in Avastland , would this be of any help

c:\system volume imformation \_restore{40acd310-cabc-45a4-97c   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 05:27:20 PM »
hi ,David R , sorry just seeing if theres life out there in Avastland , would this be of any help

I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

Steps 2 and 6 should get rid of these files.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 05:41:44 PM »

I would say that this may be an old restore point now detected or something previously found as infected and dealt with being saved into system volume information folder by system restore and now detected by avast.

Remember the reason why thins are in the volume information folder is because they were deleted or moved from the system folders, etc. and a copy of it saved by system restore. If there is any element of doubt in a restore point it should be out of the volume information folder, so at some point in the future if you use system restore you could infect your system.

Personally if you have no other symptoms and have sent to file to the chest there is little to worry about. However we tend to suggest other tools to confirm that all is clean, personally I wouldn't go overboard and just use two tools MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware.

I wouldn't disable system restore unless I had a problem in removing an infected restore point as that removes ALL restore points, not just the infected one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »
If people consider Windows System Restore non reliable, what will we say in case of infection... clean restore points won't be the solution in a lot of cases...
The best things in life are free.

seabass76

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
Hi again , well I did a MBAM and superantispyware scans they did dredge up a lot of stuff for sure but it did'ent do it for the 'win32 trojan gen'.
              Also did a AVASTROOTKIT scan ,came up clean ,so turned off system restore ,rescaned with AVAST 4.8 ,came up clean ! SO it would appear job done ?   

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 07:25:39 PM »
Now that your clean, create a fresh restore point.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

seabass76

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 09:39:28 PM »
Hi , Yes I will bob..... I will ! ,I am so clean thanks to all you Guys , MANY THANKS !!!!  YOUR MY GEEKIE HERO'S  :)