Author Topic: Scheduled scans starting repeatedly, cannot be stopped  (Read 7535 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Scheduled scans starting repeatedly, cannot be stopped
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »
As reported e.g. in this thread, there's a problem with scheduled scans which appeared just recently. The scans start automatically even when they shouldn't (at the particular moment), and they cannot be stopped - once the task is manually stopped, it starts immediately again.

I believe that the problem occurs only for monthly scans, scheduled for the first day of the month between 0:00 and 1:00.
In that case, the scheduled task is started immediately (and as soon as the scheduling window is closed), and when the task has finished or has been stopped, another instance is started right away.
The problem started yesterday (29.3.), it's also happening today and it will also happen tomorrow.
After that (i.e. since April 1st), it should stop.

As a temporary workaround, I suggest either to disable the scheduling of the particular task, or to change the scheduled time outside the 0:00-1:00 range.
To stop a running task (and prevent it from being restarted), it should be enough to [temporarily] change the system date a few days ahead (to an April date), or a few days back (before March 28th) - then it should be possible to stop the task normally.

area51

Re: Scheduled scans starting repeatedly, cannot be stopped
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
daily is working fine just as you noted.
that is [why] daily is the best :D

chris2925

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »
The only scheduling I have is for the quick scan not the full scan - there is no button on the full scan to amend the scheduling.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:11:31 PM »
I didn't say anything about the full scan here...?
It doesn't matter what scan it is.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
The only scheduling I have is for the quick scan not the full scan - there is no button on the full scan to amend the scheduling.

See my reply to this question in your other post, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74914.msg620993#msg620993.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »
As reported e.g. in this thread, there's a problem with scheduled scans which appeared just recently. The scans start automatically even when they shouldn't (at the particular moment), and they cannot be stopped - once the task is manually stopped, it starts immediately again.

I believe that the problem occurs only for monthly scans, scheduled for the first day of the month between 0:00 and 1:00.

My scan was originally set for the 1st at 00:35, so fell within that time frame.

<snip>
As a temporary workaround, I suggest either to disable the scheduling of the particular task, or to change the scheduled time outside the 0:00-1:00 range.
<snip>

Confirmed that workaround, changing the time to 01:15 stops the scan from immediately starting, thanks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 03:31:48 PM »

Scan Computer-----Scan Now--------Full Systems Scan-----Settings------Scheduling------Schedule This Scan---Schedule Type---Click on Down Arrow for choices and then complete the scheduling

Hope this helps :)

chris2925

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »
As mentioned there is no 'settings' button on the full system scan section.

I have just updated to version 6.0.1000 but there is no difference.

XavierRS

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »
You must be QUICK to get to the scheduling options. It won't show up when scan is running

Stop the scan Click the OK button to the Right (the button changes to START)
Click [more details] directly under the start button. (the scan area will expand downward)
Click the [settings] (located lower right of the expanded scan box)

A new window opens and scheduling is last option on the left.

I changed the time of my scan to 3am and so far it is working. Thanks igor for your quick work figuring it out.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
Avast! developers should completely rework scheduler and add some function like "Start scan every xx hours" and add option "when shedule fail then...run scan after 5 mins" etc...
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

area51

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 01:53:48 AM »
You must be QUICK to get to the scheduling options. It won't show up when scan is running

Stop the scan Click the OK button to the Right (the button changes to START)
Click [more details] directly under the start button. (the scan area will expand downward)
Click the [settings] (located lower right of the expanded scan box)

A new window opens and scheduling is last option on the left.

I changed the time of my scan to 3am and so far it is working. Thanks igor for your quick work figuring it out.

what about "pause"?
option 2: change the date so it wont start again, press stop, change scheduale scan to something else, then fix the date.