Author Topic: CPU Usage at abnormal levels  (Read 7130 times)

Rhythme

CPU Usage at abnormal levels
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:15:24 PM »
I realize that there are plenty of other threads like this on the forums already, but I've noticed a lot of them seem to have been handled on a case by case basis. Not wanting to attempt anything on my own without some professional advice, I'll take some precautions and ask around here first.

3 days ago, I updated my Avast antivirus to version 5.1.889. When I rebooted, I checked my Task Manager and it reported 40-60% CPU usage even with no active programs. I temporarily halted all shields with no effect, so I uninstalled Avast via the cleaner program, and reinstalled with 5.0.667, which brought the CPU usage back down to normal levels of 2-5%. I let it update the virus definitions, but not the program itself, and the CPU usage stayed low.

Today, I rebooted, and the same thing happened. High CPU usage levels of 40-60%, while no active programs were running. This leads me to suspect that the program itself is not at fault, but one of its virus definitions. I'm going to be reinstalling 5.0.667 soon, and this time I won't be letting it update anything. Until this matter is resolved, I can't afford to have my CPU running that high while I work.

Put simply, I need to know why this is happening, and how to resolve this. Thanks.

Edit: Oh dear, I forgot to put in some basic info. Here it is.

Windows XP Home SP3
E6750 @ 2.66 GHz
2 Gigs of RAM
Running Firefox ver. 3.5.5
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:17:51 PM by Rhythme »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: CPU Usage at abnormal levels
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:48:05 AM »
I realize that there are plenty of other threads like this on the forums already, but I've noticed a lot of them seem to have been handled on a case by case basis. Not wanting to attempt anything on my own without some professional advice, I'll take some precautions and ask around here first.

3 days ago, I updated my Avast antivirus to version 5.1.889. When I rebooted, I checked my Task Manager and it reported 40-60% CPU usage even with no active programs. I temporarily halted all shields with no effect, so I uninstalled Avast via the cleaner program, and reinstalled with 5.0.667, which brought the CPU usage back down to normal levels of 2-5%. I let it update the virus definitions, but not the program itself, and the CPU usage stayed low.

Today, I rebooted, and the same thing happened. High CPU usage levels of 40-60%, while no active programs were running. This leads me to suspect that the program itself is not at fault, but one of its virus definitions. I'm going to be reinstalling 5.0.667 soon, and this time I won't be letting it update anything. Until this matter is resolved, I can't afford to have my CPU running that high while I work.

Put simply, I need to know why this is happening, and how to resolve this. Thanks.

Edit: Oh dear, I forgot to put in some basic info. Here it is.

Windows XP Home SP3
E6750 @ 2.66 GHz
2 Gigs of RAM
Running Firefox ver. 3.5.5

Hello Rhythme: How long does it run at 40-60%. What other security software do you have installed  ie: Firewall, Anti Malware etc. Which version of Avast do you have installed now?
When you realizes the issue did you try a Repair of Avast? Go to Control Panel then Add and Remove Programs and choose Avast, then Change/Remove and scroll down and Click 'Repair'. When finishe reboot computer.
Sometimes there can be a file corrupted.

Rhythme

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:16:01 AM »
The first time I updated to version 5.1.889, I noticed the CPU usage at abnormal levels. I left the computer on and went to sleep, checked in the morning and it was still the same. Went to college, came back 9 hours later and checked to see the same results. So I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled the older 5.0.667 version. I let it update its Engine and Virus Definitions, but not its program, and the CPU usage was normal until I rebooted, at which point it went back to the abnormal CPU usage.

As far as I can tell, it will continue to run on a high CPU usage until the computer is turned off. I reinstalled 5.0.667, but I didn't update anything this time. The CPU levels are normal.

I'm not sure a repair of Avast will do anything that a full reinstall doesn't. And I downloaded a fresh installation file each time I reinstalled.

As for firewalls and anti malware programs, I don't have anything else on this computer. I'm behind a router firewall which is managed by my brother, and I rarely consider the windows firewall to be a useful one. Avast is the sole anti virus program running on my computer.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
The fact that you have gone back and forth between 5.0.677 and 5.1.889 may have left some remnants that can cause issues. ???

You may want to do a "CLEAN" uninstall and install of 5.1.889.

If you have had v.4.8 installed or v.5.0 or 5.1(beta) and had issues with the functioning of the version or an install of a newer version over top did not work properly, there is a possibility of File corruption. I have found this process to be extremely effective in many situations. Consider executing a ‘Clean Install’ using this format.
 I recommend you follow these instruction in the order they are presented

Please download the latest official version of Avast (5.1.889) for the product you need and save it to your HDD:   

Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe       
        Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe       
        Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe

Then please download aswClear5.exe (Clean up Utility) http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your hard drive where you can access it easily.
1. IN NORMAL MODE, Please go to Start/Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs and choose Avast and click Change/Remove, and then Uninstall from the options listed. Once the uninstall process is completed, Reboot your computer
2. When up and running, Reboot again, this time into 'SAFE MODE' and find the (aswClear5.exe) download you saved to your hard drive and run the Clean up tool. Make sure you first choose the version from the list supplied in the tool that you want to cleanup and then run the tool by choosing Uninstall; your computer will automatically reboot.
3. Once up and running in Normal Mode, if you choose too, follow the NOTE BELOW, before finally installing the latest version of Avast you saved to your hard drive.
Remember, if you have had more then one version of Avast installed on your computer, you need to choose the version in the Clean up tool that you have had installed on your system one at a time. If you have had both v.4 and v.5.0 installed, then you need to follow the ‘safe mode’ process twice; once for each version separately.

NOTE: It has also been suggested to run CCLeaner after you Reboot and before the Clean install of Avast. CCleaner is a powerful maintenance and cleaning application for the computer. The tasks that it is capable of performing make the PC work faster and in a more effective way
CCLeaner is Free and a Safe System Optimizing, Privacy and Hard Drive Cleaner> The latest FREE version can be found at: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download. Choose either download links at the bottom of the box

If you have any problems please feel free to let us know.

Rhythme

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »
That is basically what I did to uninstall Avast. I only went to 5.1.889 once, so all I did was downgrade, though that doesn't mean there's no possibility of file corruption. I'm currently having no issues at all with 5.0.667 currently, since I have not let it update at all.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 07:13:32 PM »
That is basically what I did to uninstall Avast. I only went to 5.1.889 once, so all I did was downgrade, though that doesn't mean there's no possibility of file corruption. I'm currently having no issues at all with 5.0.667 currently, since I have not let it update at all.

That's fine then. You can refer to the 'Clean Install' directions if you need
However, it is important you follow them precisely as laid out.
 Goodluck :)

Rhythme

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
I'm refering to my current situation as a temporary fix. I wouldn't like to have an unupdatable anti virus as proper protection for my computer, but I'm wondering if there has been any sort of similar issues with Avast 6...

Rhythme

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »
I now have an update to my situation.

Apparently, even a non updated version of Avast 5.0.667 starts spiking with CPU usage after a reboot. I tried repairing it, and now the CPU usage stays at 40-50% even after I uninstall and reboot. I have no clue how to fix this. Can anyone look a little deeper into my computer to find the issue?

Edit: I tried something from an older thread, where people found issues between Avast and Acronis True Image, so I uninstalled Acronis, and now the CPU levels are back to normal. I'm not going to attempt to update this until I have more information though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:29:44 PM by Rhythme »