Author Topic: Can't update avast free antivirus  (Read 8618 times)

Luga

Can't update avast free antivirus
« on: February 18, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »
I got a pretty big problem
I can't use avast free antivirus that i've been using, becouse it needs to update I guess.

Trying to update, it gets like 1-3% along before it stops, saying it "Last encountered error: The package is broken"

Does anyone know what to do to fix that?

I got version 5.1.889

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Can't update avast free antivirus
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »
do you have a firewall?
what AV program did you have before installing avast?

Luga

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:20:34 PM »
Well I got windows 7 firewall I suppose?

I dont think I had a diffrent AV before this one on this computer

Besides, it worked perfectly fine yesterday, it was just when I logged on today it suddenly coudnt update.

When I first booted up my PC I just got a white screen too for some reason, forcing me to re-start, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Might have to re-install maybe?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 04:37:12 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You may need to reboot after the repair.

If this doesn't work you may need to download the complete virus database, the repair function should say if that is required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »
Is this a new PC?
was it delivered with a preinstalled AV?

Luga

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You may need to reboot after the repair.

If this doesn't work you may need to download the complete virus database, the repair function should say if that is required.

I got no idea where to download the complete virus database..
Can't I just re-install it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 04:55:57 PM »
Did you try the repair first, that may be enough, we can cross other bridges as we come to them. Of course you can take the reinstall route, but generally we suggest the lessor hassle of the options.

- Avast! Manual Virus Definitions Update Download - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download ensure that you select the correct virus definitions (for avast 5, vpsupd.exe, approx 31MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Luga

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:38:08 PM »
It said error processing packages when I tried the repair options :-/

Seems the same issue that I have with updating it

Does that mean I should re-install now? Or try that Manual virus definition update thing?

EDIT: Tried the definition update, it already said I was up to date
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:27:14 PM by Luga »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
Normally it would have suggested using the full update of the database and that link is what I gave you. Personally that is the order I would go for.

Luga

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
I got the issue resolved.

I had to re-install.

Might not be the best option, but I can atleast say that is an option that works :-)

TheWhip

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 04:32:32 PM »
I had the same problem. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Fixed that problem as well as some other issues. Slow startup times and other minor things. It is not hard to do, but I did have some issues removing AVAST. It was like it was fighting itself and making start up and loading websites vey slow.