Author Topic: Does Spy Bot Search and Destroy cause any problems with Avast IS and MBAM Pro?  (Read 5121 times)

Zalynia

Hello all,

I already use Avast Internet Security and MBAM Pro.  A techie friend of mine recommended that I also add Spy Bot Search and Destroy.

Will this cause any problems with Avast IS and MBAM?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:29:53 PM by Zalynia »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Hi Zalynia :)

I am not aware of any problems, but I am curious why your friend recommends SB S&D to you. It is a very old program, and except for maybe it's immunisation function it doesn't add anything to your current setup. It's a waste of time and resources if you ask me.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Zalynia

Thanks for the help! 

As to why he recommended Spy Bot, apparently he thinks it's useful.  He told me it has very occasionally found things that the other 2 missed.  I don't have any more info than that.  But in any case, I'm glad you don't think it will create any problems.

Cheers!  :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
There have been issues with the teatimer module

In the old days of spyware SpyBot and Ad-aware was the pioneers, but SB is no longer able to handle todays malware, the only thing it is able to remove is tracking cookies and adware

Use malwarebytes and Superantispyware

Zalynia

Ok, thanks very much for the advice.  :)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Use malwarebytes and Superantispyware

+1
They're both available in free versions (on-demand scans only, no real-time protection).
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Zalynia

I already have MBAM Pro, will check out Superantimalware, thanks Mike.   :)

Zalynia

whoops!  superantispyware

SafeSurf

@ Zalynia,

If you are using MBAM Pro - resident protection, I really don't see a reason for you to also have SuperAntispyware (SAS) - on demand protection.

There have been issues/conflicts with the Teatimer (TT) portion of SB and Avast, and many users have therefore uninstalled it thereby resolving their problems.  In addition, as already mentioned, MBAM does a much better job and is more up to date.
- Uninstall Spybot S&D w/Teatimer: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html.
- How to disable Spybot-S&D (temporarily).  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html .  Even though it says temporarily, the resident parts of SpyBot Search & Destroy must be enabled manually if disabled in this manner.  TeaTimer doesn't load into memory at all when disabled.

However the decision is up to you.  Let us know if you have any further questions.  Thank you.

Zalynia

Safe, thanks for the detailed response; that's very helpful.  All the best  :)

SafeSurf

You are most welcome.  :D