Author Topic: Windows Explorer in Windows 7  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Windows Explorer in Windows 7
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:16:01 AM »
I hate it, really. I've got very used to Windows XP Explorer (it has flaws, but the 7 is just terrible). Now I'm looking for a replacement/alternative. I've tried Total Commander but it's too overwhelming for me. I'd like to get a file manager that would be as close to WinXP one as possible (but maybe even better, if possible). I'm prepared to pay for it too, just to get rid of the Windows 7 Explorer! Thank you for the suggestions in advance! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Windows Explorer in Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »
Mine looks verys similar to xp

cinchez

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
I think instead of having a file manager, it would be better if you just change themes.. :)

Maybe a classic 98 windows theme would do^^

-AnimeLover^^

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »
Same here.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:31:03 PM »

There's no real directory tree in the left field. That's the first thing I don't like. And I don't like having locked system folders neither. I need a better file manager, more like the XP one (in terms of functionality, not just looks) - anyone? :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »

I don't know what your version of Windows Explorer for XP looks like, but it is nothing like mine ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »
Similar(ish)  ;D

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 05:13:02 PM »

There's no real directory tree in the left field. That's the first thing I don't like. And I don't like having locked system folders neither. I need a better file manager, more like the XP one (in terms of functionality, not just looks) - anyone? :)

Isn't the locked system folders more an issue with the security permissions set in windows 7 which is not really caused by windows explorer? As for the directory tree go to organize->layout->then check navigation pane.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:19:44 PM by Charyb »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Isn't the locked system folders more an issue with the security permissions set in windows 7 which is not really caused by windows explorer? As for the directory tree go to organize->layout->then check navigation pane.

Thank you! Navigation pane did the trick! Do you know any more tips to make the Windows Explorer 7 function & look more like the XP one?

And yes, the locked folders are an issue with the security permissions. How do I get rid of all that denied folders/files stuff? And how do I set the Windows 7 firewall so that it won't ask me every time when I open a program if I allow this program to modify my system (even if that program doesn't modify a system at all)?  ::)

Thanx! :)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »
Hm, the tree opens only if I click on the left field of Explorer. Can I somehow make the tree open by clicking in the right field too (as in XP Explorer)?

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 05:46:08 AM »

Thank you! Navigation pane did the trick! Do you know any more tips to make the Windows Explorer 7 function & look more like the XP one?

And yes, the locked folders are an issue with the security permissions. How do I get rid of all that denied folders/files stuff? And how do I set the Windows 7 firewall so that it won't ask me every time when I open a program if I allow this program to modify my system (even if that program doesn't modify a system at all)?  ::)

Thanx! :)

Hm, the tree opens only if I click on the left field of Explorer. Can I somehow make the tree open by clicking in the right field too (as in XP Explorer)?

Please read here to modify permissions-> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistafiles/thread/465f2b42-63dd-4486-8dd1-c870290efeed

or you can google windows 7 permissions.

Not sure if it is windows firewall asking that question. Sounds more like UAC. You could try turning off User Account Control to see if it will get you closer to your goal. Go to Actions Center to change UAC settings. It will reduce the security of your system so be careful. Though I have read somewhere that UAC can be defeated by malware.

As for the right field. Go to organize->folder and search options->general tab->go to navigation pane then tick show all folders and automatically expand current folder. see attached

Just remember, modifying permissions and turning off UAC will reduce Windows 7 built-in security features. And modifying permissions incorrectly could cause system problems. I don't recommend doing this.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:35:31 AM by Charyb »