Author Topic: Buffer Overrun Detection PLEASE HELP!  (Read 5073 times)

MystikTK

Buffer Overrun Detection PLEASE HELP!
« on: September 07, 2004, 08:42:02 AM »
Version: 4.1.418
VPS: 0436-4
768 DDR RAM, AMD Athlon XP 1800+, Cable connection

My problem is that whenever I try to scan several certain video files with Avast, I get the error Buffer Overflow Protection in the Program Explorer.exe. All of my other manual scans work fine.

Do you have any suggestions as to what might cause this and any solutions to it?

Thanks.

EDIT: I realized that I can select a limited number of the video files and the scan works fine, however if I select them all, I still get the Buffer Overflow error that tells me something along the lines of Explorer.exe not being able to maintain its internal state (sorry, but the error only stays up for a few seconds until I have to restart so I can't give you more details). This error message points to ashquick.exe as the AppName and ntdll as the ModName.

In Event Viewer, I get the following message:

Faulting application ashquick.exe, version 4.1.415.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.1217, fault address 0x00033905.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 08:59:16 AM by MystikTK »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Buffer Overrun Detection PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 09:59:49 AM »
How many files are there? How "long" are the full path names?
Does it make difference if these are the video files, or is the problem just in the number of files?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

MystikTK

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 09:53:13 PM »
There's about 35.  The full path is C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXXXXXX\Desktop\XXXXX\XXXXX\XXXXXXXXXXXX.avi (or .mpg or .wmv, there's several formats).

Obviously, the X's are folder and file names.

I tested by running a manual quick scan on a comparable number of files (MP3's, to be exact) with a comparable total size and it worked fine. So I figure the problem is video files.

EDIT: I see tons of 00000003 errors is the log. Here's a couple of examples of what they look like.

Scan of "XXXXX\Desktop\XXXX\XXXXX\XXXXX\XXXXX.mpeg" "C:\Documents" area failed with 00000003 error (function avfilesScanReal failed).

Scan of "Settings\XXXXX" area failed with 00000003 error (function avfilesScanReal failed).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 10:06:14 PM by MystikTK »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 11:17:07 PM »
Must be a problem with spaces in path names then. Are these log entries really related to the shell extension scanner? (the right click scanner in Explorer)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

MystikTK

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 01:19:42 AM »
What do you mean by the spaces in the path names?

Also, I'm sure it's related to the shell scanner. That's what the error message points to (ashQuick.exe) and the log files confirm it. Also, it only happens when I select the files, right click and select scan. If I right click on the folder and hit scan, it works fine.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 11:06:33 AM »
Can you post (or sent me as a private message, doesn't matter) the exact names of the files that are causing the problems, including their full paths? It doesn't have to be all of them, two or three should be enough.

Thanks!

MystikTK

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 11:30:21 PM »
Sorry, man, I got frustrated and deleted them all. LOL.

On the bright side, no more crashes. ;D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 10:03:37 AM »
How about the avast! log - could you restore some of the file pathes from there and send them to me? Thanks!