Author Topic: AV4 Home Not registered with XP SP2  (Read 12817 times)

gary.lane

AV4 Home Not registered with XP SP2
« on: September 07, 2004, 12:16:57 PM »
I know it normally is as my children's machine has XP SP2 and AVSAT is happily registered and reporting.

Onmmy machine it is not.  I guess this is to do with the fact that I (Stupidly) installed SP2 with NAV installed then afterwards uninstalled NAV and installed Avast.

However, does anyone know of a registry hack or other way of letting Windows XP SP2 become aware that AVast is installed?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:AV4 Home Not registered with XP SP2
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 01:01:33 PM »
1] Make sure NAV is completely uninstalled. Use the util/instructions on the symantec website
2] Reboot
3] Uninstall Avast using the Avast Uninstaller
4] Reboot
5] Install Avast

See if that solves the problem.

gary.lane

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 02:18:41 PM »
Unfortunately Eddy that did not do the trick.  Any other ideas?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 03:18:32 PM »
After removing Avast there is still something left in the registry. I think if you remove that and then reinstall Avast it will solve the problem. I don't know exactly where it is in the registry, but maybe one of the Alwil people can tell, or perhaps they have another idea on how to solve it.

Have a little patience and wait for others to respond to your problem, I would say.

gary.lane

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 03:25:32 PM »
In asnwer to James, I don't think this is the problem.  AVAST is working perfectly.  The only issue is that Windows Security Center doesn't think it's installed.  On another system where the firewall is switched on, we have no problem at all.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 03:40:14 PM »
I know it normally is as my children's machine has XP SP2 and AVSAT is happily registered and reporting.
I thought you had problems with the Avast registration. :-[

gary.lane

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 03:51:57 PM »
The problem is regsitering with the "Windows XP Security Center"

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 09:43:59 PM »
AVAST is working perfectly. The only issue is that Windows Security Center doesn't think it's installed.

Which version of setup.exe did you use to install avast?
Which is your avast version?

Only version 4.1.418 (or greater) will be recognized by SP2  8)
The best things in life are free.

gary.lane

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 09:54:50 PM »
The setup program (Home editionversion 4) was an old one I had from June 2004.  However, immediately after installation Avast updated itself to the most current version.

Do you think that I need to uninstall and re-install with the latest downloadable version of the software?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 11:42:24 PM »
Do you think that I need to uninstall and re-install with the latest downloadable version of the software?

It should not be necessary...
SP2 is recongnizing mine 4.1.418 normally.
Excuse me, but can you click on the 'About' dialog and see which is your version?
Other two questions:
1. Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system? Did you have in the past?
2. In which path did you install avast?

Carlospr

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 04:45:46 AM »
If XP SP2 does not recognize Avast that could be a WMI issue.

If you check the dependencies of the XP Firewall service you could receive an error message like this: WMI: not found.

To resolve this you should do the following:

1) delete all files from this folder: %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository

("%SystemRoot%" is usually "Windows")

2) restart your computer

3) go to your connections and select a connection (any one), right click and select Proprieties. Now XP won't find the informations in the Repository folder (because you deleted them) and it will rebuild them correctly.

4) check your Security Center: everything should be fine now if both antivirus and firewall are SP2 compatible.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 04:47:35 AM by Carlospr »

gary.lane

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 11:36:31 AM »
Carlospr,

I agree that the problem is more likely to be with Windows.  However, I've performed your check and WMI seems to be fine.  Windows Firewall reports it as a dependency and both WMI and WMI Driver Extensions are started as services.

I think this is the right track but I'm not quite clever enough to know what the next move is.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 01:46:17 PM »
I'm not quite clever enough to know what the next move is.

Gary, can you answer my questions..., maybe they could help  :-\

gary.lane

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 02:14:42 PM »
No other AV is installed.  As indicated in the original post, NAV was installed prior to SP2 being installed.  NAV was then uninstalled and AVAST installed.  I uninstalled NAV using Windows and the Symantec utilities with lots of rebooting before installing AVAST.

On the system where we have no problem with the registration of AVAST and XP security Center, the only difference was that NAV was uninstalled and AVAST installed before the upgarde to SP2.

AVAST was installed into the defaul folder of "Program files/Alwil Software/Avast4".  Againb, this si the same directory as on the successful installation.

Carlospr

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 02:28:29 PM »
Carlospr,

I agree that the problem is more likely to be with Windows.  However, I've performed your check and WMI seems to be fine.  Windows Firewall reports it as a dependency and both WMI and WMI Driver Extensions are started as services.

I think this is the right track but I'm not quite clever enough to know what the next move is.

Maybe you could try to rebuild your WMI informations if you didn't find any solution yet.

I did it here and it took just a few seconds.

Just make a restore point before (just in case...).