Author Topic: [ResolvedBoot-time scan ?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
[ResolvedBoot-time scan ?
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:32:45 AM »
During a full system scan an object was placed in the chest and was to be repaired. When I went to repair avast directed me to do a boot-time scan. After the Boot-time scan several Java: agents and malware: Gen were placed into the chest. Two questions: 1) How important is running a boot-time scan?
                          2) How long should a boot-time scan take?
I have a 120 GB HDD with 20% free.
Some were java:agent-Bw[Trj] Others were malware generic.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:08:51 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Boot-time scan ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:49:23 AM »
You may only have 20% of the 120gig left but avast will scan much more than this depending on the amount of archived files on your drive. Also the more archived files you have the longer it will take to scan.

see the attached example. I am storing appr. 29 gb on my C drive but Avast has tested 47 gb of data. Took 30 minutes to scan 47 gb.

The boot time scan is important for detecting and cleaning up a malware infested system before the malware is able to run, i.e. rootkits, etc. Otherwise, it may be difficult to stop these processes once they have started.

The only reason I performed the boot time scan is because I was testing Avast with different types of malware.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:10:32 AM by Charyb »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »
You may only have 20% of the 120gig left but avast will scan much more than this depending on the amount of archived files on your drive. Also the more archived files you have the longer it will take to scan.

see the attached example. I am storing appr. 29 gb on my C drive but Avast has tested 47 gb of data. Took 30 minutes to scan 47 gb.

The boot time scan is important for detecting and cleaning up a malware infested system before the malware is able to run, i.e. rootkits, etc. Otherwise, it may be difficult to stop these processes once they have started.

The only reason I performed the boot time scan is because I was testing Avast with different types of malware.
I wonder why avast did "not" catch these before the boot-time scan? From now on I will use the boot-time scan. At least the nasty things are now in "jail" where they can't do any damage. As far as scan times go I do have the persistent cache built up.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:04:29 AM »
I wonder why avast did "not" catch these before the boot-time scan?
they may have been located in a area not covered by quick/full scan with default scan settings ?

so where was they located ?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 02:52:48 AM »
I wonder why avast did "not" catch these before the boot-time scan?
they may have been located in a area not covered by quick/full scan with default scan settings ?

so where was they located ?
local app/mozilla
        local app/sunjava

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:13:30 AM »
Since you are using FF, I don't know what you have for browser add-on's, but you may want to consider looking at my signature...esp. to have NoScript since this would help you in the future.

You should also consider doing a free Secunia scan to see if your software is up to date http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ since software changes so frequently.  It is possible that your version of java needs an upgrade or another software, however there are still many security holes even after the upgrades.  :P  Many of us run this scan weekly.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 04:38:35 AM »
Since you are using FF, I don't know what you have for browser add-on's, but you may want to consider looking at my signature...esp. to have NoScript since this would help you in the future.

You should also consider doing a free Secunia scan to see if your software is up to date http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ since software changes so frequently.  It is possible that your version of java needs an upgrade or another software, however there are still many security holes even after the upgrades.  :P  Many of us run this scan weekly.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.
Thanks...I t did not know it existed. Now all my software is up to date. I also found cnet.com's Tech Tracker.
Many thanks. Nice to see you back. As you can see I upgraded to AIS. It's better than "free" and worth the extra cash.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:40:48 AM by Para-Noid »

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Boot-time scan ?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »
You're welcome.  Nice to be back.  Glad to see AIS is working fine for you.  :D