Author Topic: Settings for updates on mobile broadband.  (Read 3260 times)

kailash

Settings for updates on mobile broadband.
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:58:02 AM »
I recently changed from dial up to mobile broadband and I don't seem to be getting updates. Its also hard to keep track when the rest of the family don't inform me if it has happened. But now I am confused about the settings. I have fiddled around with them and forget what they were on when I was on dial up. I am wondering if I should still have the box ticked for "I only use a dial up connection" or if I should tick the box for "my computer is always connected to the internet."  And in the proxy settings I have ticked "direct connection(no proxy)." I keep switching the computer on and off and changing all these settings about but to no avail. I can update manually ok though. Any help please. First time poster.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Settings for updates on mobile broadband.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:07:32 AM »
I also use mobile broadband and the setting's i use are- proxy setting's/ auto detect use internet explorer and the two boxes in update parameters are unticked.
These are the default setting's.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:53:26 AM by craigb »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
I am moving my Lenovo netbook from my home WiFi to 3G and back, but use the same (default) settings as was sett when i insatalled the program, have not changed anything, i see the update pop-up a couple of minutes after i connect with my 3G.....and i also get the firewall pop-up that it has detected a new network
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:31:40 AM by Pondus »

kailash

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »
I've unchecked both the update parameter boxes - I thought one had to be ticked, so I'll see if that works. I wondered if it was okay to tick auto detect(use internet explorer settings) because I browse with firefox. That's why I checked direct connection(no proxy). Will that be okay?
Trouble is I have to wait for Avast to make an update to check if updates are working. That could be 12 hours away or more. It's the updates when I first connect up that I am concerned about. They of course are the most important ones.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »
I wondered if it was okay to tick auto detect(use internet explorer settings) because I browse with firefox. That's why I checked direct connection(no proxy). Will that be okay?
I use Opera / Chrome / IE8  and as i said above have not changed any settings since install, all are default....the only change i have done is sett the firewall to use public mode when on 3G

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:00:48 AM »
It's fine to leave it on auto detect(use internet explorer settings), there are several programs on your system that need ie to update anyway,eg windows updates, media player.
That why it is important to always keep ie up to date, even if you use firefox or chrome or any other browser.

kailash

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:14:12 AM »
Thanks for that. I'll set proxy back to auto detect and wait and see. I just wish I could remember what the settings were for when I was on dial up so I could see if I did something wrong.
I just did a quick manual update because when I switched on the computer fifteen minutes ago Avast did a last update attempt and no files were downloaded. Well the manual update downloaded 7 files. Is that normal for a manual update. I can't understand why the auto update wouldn't have downloaded the files. Or are they too small to bother with for an auto update. Got me wondering.

kailash

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:06:43 AM »
Working fine now on those settings. Cheers.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:49:06 AM »
Good to hear  :)