Author Topic: Resident Protection  (Read 3907 times)

sameer

Resident Protection
« on: September 07, 2004, 08:31:24 PM »
Actually I don't understand the function of resident scanner. Is it only to protect invasion of virus or deletes virus simulataneously?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Resident Protection
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 08:36:18 PM »
Resident in this case means "always there". So the scanner is in memory and running all the time. Which is good. How else could it alert you when something harmfull is found?

Is it only to protect invasion of virus or deletes virus simulataneously?
Basicly, neither of them. The scanner is running. With Avast, as well as many (all?) other av applications it is a on-access scanner. This means that if a file is accessed one way or another it will be scanned and the av software will alert you when something harmfull is found. When the application is giving you the alert it is up to you to decide what to do. Unless you have set it to "automaticly delete" "ignore" or whatever setting you have chosen.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 08:36:48 PM by Eddy »

sameer

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 11:44:51 AM »
My free avast home edition does not shows automatically remove or delete on the appearence of alert message. what should i do?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 11:51:41 AM »
That's correct. The home version is limited in its options, but there is something like "silent mode" (can't recall what it is named exactly) which you can set.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 01:45:27 PM »
My free avast home edition does not shows automatically remove or delete on the appearence of alert message. what should i do?

Home version, like Eddy said, can only 'Send file to Chest' on 'Silent Mode' and general (default) answer 'No'.
Professional version has a fully automated action when a virus is found.  ;)
The best things in life are free.