Author Topic: Help! Avast Free Antivirus is blocking certain sites, all of the sudden.  (Read 15592 times)

Fizbin

Re: Help! Avast Free Antivirus is blocking certain sites, all of the sudden.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
But that was not my problem!  I did not have Comodo when I was having these problems with Avast.  I downloaded Comodo to see if it would pick up any viruses that Avast and Malwarebytes (which I mentioned I'm running) did not.

Please read my original post.  I do not have malware!

By the way, before installing Comodo, I uninstalled Avast (withe uninstaller program) and reinstalled it and it changed nothing...Still the same problem.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:23:43 PM by Fizbin »

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 12:29:54 PM »
When I deactivate web shield, I have no problems with ebay.
I read your post and you were turning off your web shield, which puts you at risk.  You were surfing without protection.  I realize you ran MBAM (which is not an AV), but where did Geekbuddy come from? 

I'm just trying to give you suggestions to check for malware, which you should if you do not recognize Geekbuddy and since you were surfing without AV protection, and to reinstall AV protection since it sounds like you had corrupt files.

Fizbin

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »
I've only been surfing "safe sites".  I'm not going to warez sites or anything like that. :)  Geekbudy is another component that installs with Comodo.  I left that component unchecked.  I am currently checking to see if I should have installed that, on the Comodo site.

Thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »
You are welcome.  It is up to you to use the information I suggested or not since this is your machine.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.  Thank you.  :)

Tenko

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 07:37:39 PM »
General Info how to solve conflict between CIS and Avast.

go first to CIS --> Defense+ --> Defense+ Settings --> Execution Control Settings --> exclusions --> Add --> the complete Avast folder.

High cpu usage? this will do the trick but keep in mind CIS is vulnerable to get infected.

1) CIS --> Defense+ --> Computer Security Policy --> Protected Files and Folders --> Groups --> Add --> New Group...(give this group a name, such as Avast). Now click once on "add files here" and Add then Add --> Select Fromand --> Browse... and add find the wanted folder

2) CIS --> Defense+ --> Computer Security Policy --> select Comodo Internet Securiy and press edit --> Customize --> Interprocess Memory Accesses --> Modify --> Add --> File Groups --> select the wanted group.

Webshield won't work? This will do the trick

This is one way and the first to try to see if it solves the problem.

CIS --> firewall --> Network Security Policy --> Application rules --> Add --> browse... --> the Avast exe file and as trusted program.

An other solution is to add the group file in application rule by Add --> Group files.

Regards,
              Tenko
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:41:13 AM by Tenko »

Fizbin

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 02:02:44 AM »
Good info but I never had a conflict with them...I never had them simultaniously installed for long. 

SafeSurf

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 09:04:43 AM »
Thank you Tenko for the information you posted.  ;)

@ Fizbin,

You were going to look into how you got "Geekbuddy" on your machine, and I doubt this was from CIS, and definitely not from an Avast update.  What did you find out?  I know you said in a prior post you have no malware, but I would still suggest running some scans to be sure since I don't recognize "Geekbuddy" unless someone else does in a legitimate program.  It certainly can't hurt to run another MBAM scan.

Are you getting Avast updates without problems?

Did you adjust your CIS settings as Tenko suggested to avoid conflicts?

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

Tenko

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »
Geekbuddy is optional can be chosen during installing CIS. You might be able to add it if you wish to be going to where you to uninstall programs in windows and then click on change/add or whatever is says.

I will add my previous post that might be useful.

Regards,
              Tenko

SafeSurf

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »
@ Tenko,

What exactly does Geekbuddy do and would this affect the OP from being blocked from surfing (his problem at posted here)?  I do not use CIS and I know you used to use it in the past.  Thank you.

Tenko

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
I haven't tried out Geekbuddy but it should be equal to Avast's technical support. But other comodo products uses it as well (geekbuddy that would be) so the all around pro to help people our.

If he would have taken contact with geekbuddy an employee with try various ways to investigate and solve the problem if it would be possible.

Offtopic
On my host pc I use CIS and on my WMware I use Avast with Oline Armor. Before I had CIS on my computer I had avast and very happy Avast user.

Regards,
        Valentin N

Fizbin

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »
I was very happy with Avast too (for 5 years!) and I'll still install it on other people's PC's...Comodo is too confusing...But considering the problem was so unique and unusual, I knew it would take too long for me to troubleshoot it.

Anyway, I'm glad it happened.  It gave me the opportunity to try other things.  I didn't realize how much faster my PC would be.  Disabling Window's firewall (for Comodo) was one reason for the speed increased.

Tenko

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »
you can speed up your pc by disabling unneeded services by typing services.msc in run. if you want more info what to disable in oder to tune up your pc look at http://www.blackviper.com/.

Tip: inactivate Windows firewall and Windows defender.

If you have questions please ask at comodo forums or PM me here or at Valentin N at comodo forums where I am most active.

Regards