Author Topic: "Winad" virus/adware  (Read 5752 times)

fakeMacGyver

"Winad" virus/adware
« on: September 08, 2004, 03:26:52 AM »
I just discovered this on my machine; apparently, no harm done and it was easy to remove.

The question it: why wasn't this detected until I did a scan on the drive?

It was running as a backround task -- and, using msconfig, I saw that it loaded automatically at startup. Shouldn't avast! recognized this? I wonder how long it has been running....

Anybody else have this adware before?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:"Winad" virus/adware
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 03:34:06 AM »
It seems to be an adware and not a virus:

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/winad/index.phtml
http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/w/winad.asp

avast is an antivirus. For ad-aware you should work with: Ad-aware, SpyBot, SpywareBlaster, PestPatrol and so on  :-\
The best things in life are free.

fakeMacGyver

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 03:52:41 AM »
Right, I see. The 'Ad-aware' did help me clean things up. Before I used it, though, I scanned the windows area on the drive -- and a '.dll' file had a virus. That file was used by this adware & had a similar name, so I assume it was accessed frequently but not detected?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 04:23:02 AM »
Right, I see. The 'Ad-aware' did help me clean things up. Before I used it, though, I scanned the windows area on the drive -- and a '.dll' file had a virus. That file was used by this adware & had a similar name, so I assume it was accessed frequently but not detected?

Well, you'll need to wait for more experienced users...
I won't expect that all ad-aware will be detected by avast (in fact, few of them could be). It could be accessed frequently or not. Avast would detect it at the first time if it was able to (and your avast configurations set so)  ;)
The best things in life are free.