Author Topic: Network/browser bug  (Read 3427 times)

tobytigger

Network/browser bug
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »
I installed free 6.0 on Win 7 32 bit and Firefox and IE appear to go to a link but the window remains blank.  I uninstalled and reinstalled 2 times and had no problems following uninstall.  I had Norton security suite installed which I removed with the Norton uninstall tool.   I've checked all the settings and can't find anything that is enabled that would cause the network issues? 

SafeSurf

Re: Network/browser bug
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »
Did you use this Norton uninstaller tool http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN
, then reboot your machine afterwards?

Also, I'd check while in Safe Mode for remnants of Norton/Symantec under Search to see if there is anything left behind, as there often is...and this would create a conflict with trying to install a new AV.  If anything is found left over, delete and reboot.  Then do a cleaning with something like CCleaner Slim version http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds and reboot again.

What other security software are you using (firewall, trial security software, other security software)?

tobytigger

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 03:25:14 PM »
Yes I used the Norton uninstaller.  The only other "security" software could be Cisco Connect which was installed about a week ago with a new router before Avast, although there was no firewall or security settings required.   Windows firewall was turned on a few days ago.  

What do you mean by search in safe mode?  Start, search with Norton as keyword?  Thanks for the help!

PS I forgot about Norton Online Family which I just uninstalled, rebooted and now can browse.  The norton uninstaller warned that all norton products would be removed but apparently that didn't happen.   Of course I had no conflicts with Norton security suite and Norton Online Family which is a free program and works great.  I'd like to continue to use Online Family with Avast.  Any suggestions as to how to configure to make both work?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:42:08 PM by tobytigger »

tobytigger

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:56:11 PM »
After uninstalling and reinstalling Norton Online Family I was able to browse for about 5 minutes and then was blocked.  I would really like to use both programs.

bobo1

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
Hi,
You really should remove all norton products before running another antivirus on a computer as will cause both to lock. Remove with norton removal tool and use crapcleaner and do registry scan to clean out bad registry entrys and re instal avast.

Daris

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:01:54 PM »
I un installed the Web Rep, and now my games are working good...But my Sandbox is still running with no probs with games.

tobytigger

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
Norton Online family is a webblocking software - not an antivirus program.   It worked fine with Norton's Antivirus suite from comcast.

Trial and error and I now have Avast running with Online family and able to browse if I disable Avast Web shield?   Will see how long I remain connected.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 12:47:32 AM »
Trial and error and I now have Avast running with Online family and able to browse if I disable Avast Web shield?
By disabling the Avast Web Shield, you are now exposing yourself to potential malware since this is a main AV protection.  You need to decide what is more important, monitoring your kid's activity with Norton or using an antivirus (Avast). 

I looked into the limited info. available on the Online family and you also need to download another Norton product for it to run.  I can see this potentially conflicting with Avast's web shield when you are online.  You might do better having a firewall with HIPS protection where you can easily see via history log where they surfed as well as blocking web sites from being connected to your machine (Online Armor Premium for example), that does not conflict with Avast if you put both products in trusted exclusions and you will have better protection.

I realize you are concerned with where your kids are surfing, but you can educate them on responsible Internet surfing while maintaining protection for your machine as well.  We can give you more tips if you like, however I realize this is your machine and your life (with your kids).  Please let me know how I can assist you.  Thank you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 12:54:04 AM »
Yes, there's a known compatibility problem between Norton Online Safety and avast Web Shield.
I think it works OK though if you manually configure the browser to use the Web Shield proxy (localhost:12080).

Please also see here: https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=22&nav=0,66

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.