Author Topic: Blocking AIM?  (Read 10126 times)

Nancymc128

Blocking AIM?
« on: September 08, 2004, 06:41:32 AM »
    Got a new computer system.  After installing AIM, I can't get into it.  When I try, I get a message saying it is blocked.  Then that window starts blinking off and on and often freezes the computer so that I have to turn it off.   I wonder if Avast is blocking it, but can't figure out how to determine that after going into Avast and checking out various things.
     Any suggestions?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Blocking AIM?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 10:56:58 AM »
It's likely your firewall who is blocking it. Check the settings.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 06:27:43 AM »
Nancy,

Avast should not block AIM.  You need to tell us more about your system configuration.

You can shut down the Standard shield running resident to see if AIM will load.  This can be done by right clicking on the A ball and passing the cursor over "Stop Provider".  Find Standard Shield module and click on it.  It will stop the provider.  

If you are receiving an error message that AIM is being blocked, then I strongly feel that you have a firewall installed and is blocking the application exe file.

Let us know.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 06:33:08 AM by Techie101 »

Nancymc128

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 07:13:25 AM »
Sorry I am so slow in replying.  Thanks for your suggestion.  Haven't tried it yet, but will first thing tomorrow.  Hope it will help.  The only firewall I have running would be the XP one.  I don't think Avast has one, does it?  Anyway, will try and let you know.  Thanks again.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 06:35:15 PM »
Nancy,

Avast does not contain a firewall.  Windows XP blocks incoming connections only so AIM should not be affected.

Let me know what happens tomorrow.

bye :D

Nancymc128

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 09:25:11 PM »
Thank you, Techie101.  I took your suggestion and was able to load AIM just fine.  Really appreciate that.  Do I need to go back into Avast and restart the provider?  Might that block AIM again even though it is loaded?  Also, if I need to restart, how?  I did click on the option not to persist the change so it may be okay .  

Thanks again.  Sure am glad I found this forum..............Nancy

techie101

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 01:53:23 AM »
Do I need to go back into Avast and restart the provider?
Yes, you will need to right click on the A ball in the tray, look for Start Provider in the menu.  Then select Standard Shield.

Might that block AIM again even though it is loaded?
It might, so what we will do is run a simple repair utility within Avast.
Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add-Remove.
Find Avast in the menu and highlight it.
Click on Remove and you should see the option to Repair.
Click on Repair.  Avast will then scan its' files to see if any need fixing.  It is not normal for Avast to interfere with AIM and other such programs, so something is "amiss" here.
We'll fix it.  :D

Also, once you have the Standard Shield started, right click on the A ball and open up the OAP console.  Find Standard Shield on the left and click on it to open its' interface.
Have it set to Normal.  Go to the Blocker tab and make sure the box is checked to use the Default extension set.

I'm glad you decided to enter the forum.  You can get help on most anti-virus stuff here as well as problems with Avast.

Lets see how you make out with this problem for now.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 01:55:58 AM by Techie101 »

Nancymc128

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 07:07:41 AM »
     I am posting this by replying to an older message you sent me, as I am so new to the forum I have a problem trying to find the messages you send once they are off the screen.
>         Thanks for your help once again.  It helped me know that
> the anti-virus is on and working.
>         But......................I finally removed AIM from the computer.
> It was coming on at startup, which I didn't want.  I did "run", msconfig and  looked for it on the startup menu.  I found it there but when I wanted to remove it I got a message I didn't really understand, so left it.  That wasn't too horrible.
>          But I then began having trouble with the buddy list popping up when I was in a website and clicking on a link.  Then I couldn't get it off, and control, alt, delete wouldn't work so I would end up having to turn off the computer to get rid of it.  I couldn't even get into the start menu to turn it off correctly.  After this happened several times, I gave up and removed the whole thing.
>         I then reinstalled AIM and had no problem installing and made sure I didn't click for it to be on the start menu.  But the same problem persists.  That buddy list keeps popping up when I click on a link, and then I can't make it go away or do anything else, so have to turn it off manually.  Certainly never had that problem before in all the time I have had AIM.  Maybe I'm just not meant to use AIM.  I use it very seldom, just to talk to my cousin, but it is aggravating for it to act like this.
        I always appreciate your patience in this.  Let's see if I can get this sent to you correctly this time....................Nancy

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 07:12:28 AM »
Tip: Click on your own name, this will show your user info. Then almost at the bottum, of that screen choose "show last x messages from this user"

This way you can find your last posts and easily find back the threat(s) you posted in.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 01:55:02 PM by Eddy »

techie101

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 01:48:59 PM »
Nancy,

Is the AIM your using part of the AOL installation or is it an "add on" program that can be downloaded.

The "downloadable" one sometimes does not integrate with other programs.  I have not heard of the "pop up" behavior and I use the "downloadable" one for years.

There is a setting within the AIM preferences menu to "Start AIM when Windows".   This should keep it from popping up the Buddy list until you want it to appear.

If problem persists, try a Google search or send an email to AOL Support.

As an afterthought, there is a Firewall within the AOL for Direct IM connections.  IF set, it can give you difficulty.

You can find it in the Preferences on the botton of the left side panel.

Good luck.

Nancymc128

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 01:04:09 AM »

Thanks, techie.

I have downloaded AIM again to try your suggestions.  I can't find "Start AIM when Windows" in the AIM preferences.
     I found the firewall for Direct AIM Connections.  You have to have it set as far as I can tell.  Mine is on the 1st option, "Incoming, outgoing and AOL proxy server", which is their recommendation.  That could be the problem but don't know how to turn it off.
     I haven't had AIM on long enough to see if it is going to interfere again, nor have I rebooted to see whether it comes on with the start window again.  Good thing I do know how to "install and "uninstall"   :)
     Thanks.........Nancy

Nancymc128

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 01:15:26 AM »
Latest update, techie.  After sending your message, I closed IE.  When I clicked to get on again, all the AIM stuff came on, and it was impossible to get it off.  So I have once again uninstalled it so I can use the computer.  What fun............  :)

techie101

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 07:41:37 AM »
Nancy,

Right click on the little "man" icon in the tray and select Preferences.  On the left panel, go to SignOn/Off.

You will find the "Start with windows" box under the heading Sign ON.....Lines 2 and 3.

As for the Firewall, YES...it will always be ON, but you can select the "level" of security.  It is usually set on the top "button", but you can try the middle button which affects outgoing stuff.

Have you had any other "abnormalities" with your system?  The problem you are having is not characteristic of AIM.

Are you using a third party firewall?  In other words, not the one that comes with say....Windows XP.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 07:44:44 AM by Techie101 »

Nancymc128

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 01:40:46 AM »
Techie,

Thanks for this help.  I haven't re-installed AIM yet to try it, but will do it soon.
     My next question..............I downloaded the SP2 service pak and in the security panel it says that my Avast is turned off.  When I go into Avast I can't find anything that clearly says whether or not it is functioning.  There is an option to "stop on-access protection and exit".  That would make me think it is currently on.  Could this be just a mis-read by MS?  When the Secutiy Center is on it shows the 3 things that should be on, and on mine the virus protection shows it is off.  Any ideas?  I don't want to be without an anti-virus running.

Nancy

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 01:55:47 AM »
Nancy it's working. Try doing a repair of avast  add/remove function and choose repair. That should fix the recognition problem. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet