Author Topic: Shut down avast entirely/self-defense module?  (Read 7504 times)

TheHYPO

Shut down avast entirely/self-defense module?
« on: March 07, 2011, 02:35:17 PM »
I am having issues installing windows live messenger in that it claims something is running that is preventing the installation. MS KB article suggests basically doing a limited startup that shuts down all non-MS software (safe mode doesn't work because the windows installer for Live won't run properly in safe mode; I tried). I've got everything shut down but avast won't go. I've been to Settings/troubleshooting and when I uncheck the self-defense checkbox and click ok, it is still checked when I return to settings. I'm not sure Avast is what is causing the issue, but I know antivirus software has the reputation at least of often being interfering software, so I'd like to rule it out if I can. The realtime protection is already off, so it's not that.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Shut down avast entirely/self-defense module?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »
Didn't you stop the avast! service?

Daris

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »
Did you try Right clicking on the Avast ball on the task bar, where Avast turns....Also Did you ever install and then Uninstall Messenger before?.....If it's been on your computer before, than the installer recognizes it as installed....You would have to completely clean your registry of Messenger, where there are no registry keys left at all, and than it should install...Luck and update us if you need any help with this...

TheHYPO

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:03:23 AM »
I attempted to stop Avast. Avast doesn't let me uncheck it in msconfig - I assume this is because of the self-defense. Again, I've stopped real-time protection via the interface, but I can't kill the program. It remains running (just not protecting). I haveno idea if Avast is the conflict, but I'd LIKE to kill it and try the install to rule avast out.

norel

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:36:39 AM »
When you try to disable the self-defense module, do you get a confirmation message? You should get a pop-up asking if you want to continue. Click Yes if you want to disable. If you're not seeing that message, something's wrong.

If you do get the self-defense module disabled, you'll be able to stop the automatic startup in msconfig. You'll also have to temporarily disable the Avast services (run services.msc to access the Services Configuration Utility).

Offline kyuuketsuki_kurai

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:40:01 PM »
It may be worth noting that avast! didn't effect my Windows Live Messenger install in the slightest.
Alienware 17, Windows 10, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 8GB RAM, Avast 19.2, Chrome 72.0 64-bit

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 08:58:53 PM »
It seems to be that even after you uncheck the self-defense box that you need to kill the Avast processes that are running in order to shut down Avast.  If you are running Windows 7 you can use the "Start Task Manager to kill the Avast processes after you have disabled the Self-Protection.

You should then be able to install WLM.

After it is installed you should then be able to just start Avast from the Windows program list or a Desktop shortcut.

After it is restarted the self-defense mode should be re-enabled.

If it is not then just check it.

norel

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:09:51 PM »
I've installed tons of software without any interference from Avast, but one time I did have a problem installing Microsoft Word and had to kill Avast, so it can happen.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 12:03:04 AM »
I've installed tons of software without any interference from Avast, but one time I did have a problem installing Microsoft Word and had to kill Avast, so it can happen.
It shouldn't. Something get wrong (with Office or avast at that time).
The best things in life are free.

TheHYPO

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:28:16 AM »
Whether it should or it shouldn't, virtually every single piece of software installed on any computer is capable of interfering with another process. It may generally not happen, but if something is interfering, anything could be the culprit. I see no reason not to test if I can.

Given what was said about a confirmation message, I tried again. Today the checkbox is succeeding. Not sure why it failed before. Perhaps a process wasn't running that needed to be for that to function. I'll test out avast-less WinLive install and see how it goes.

Thanks.