Author Topic: Avast causing OE lockups on hyperlinks and more  (Read 12864 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Eddy

  • Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • ***
  • Posts: 31094
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast causing OE lockups on hyperlinks and more
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 12:43:20 AM »
Ok, that is normal. I am getting a feeling it is Windows that screws up.

Have you already removed/reinstalled OE?
control panel > software > windows components

And run sfc?
start > cmd > sfc /scannow
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 12:43:49 AM by Eddy »


  • Guest
Re:Avast causing OE lockups on hyperlinks and more
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 01:30:25 AM »
I just ran a full system scan with Avast and also ran Adaware.  Everything is clean.

I am running the scannow and it asked for my CD and keeps saying I need to click retry for putting in dll files.   I am doing so now.

I have not uninstalled or reinstalled OE.  I didn't think that would help because I am also having problems with IE browser locking up when I do a google toolbar search.

OK scannow is done I guess....ummmm it just finished but I didn't get a report or anything of what it did.  I should turn Avast back on and see if I continue to get lockups??

Edit:  Well OE on the Add/remove windows components only changes the start menu access.  I did attempt that and had to do it again to get the menus back.  Avast is back running on the desktop and I will see if the scannow did anything (it seemed to be doing something).  Unless anyone has any other ideas I guess I will have to decide if I want to reinstall windows xp or change antivirus.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 02:04:34 AM by Elwinna »


  • Guest
Re:Avast causing OE lockups on hyperlinks and more
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 11:20:09 AM »
I had some problems with opening pages by clicking links after installing SP2. I had some DLL-files reregistered and my problems were solved. Maybe it's possible your problem is of the same kind?

Checkout this link, you can either do things manually or download an executeable that does do it for you.

Good luck!


  • Guest
Re:Avast causing OE lockups on hyperlinks and more
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2004, 04:44:45 PM »
Thanks rambolito!  Part of those instructions were run in the sfc/ scannow that Eddy suggested and it seemed like some dll files were taken off my winxp disc so I think it was doing something (hopefully something necessary!!).  I'd already re-registerd a couple of those files they recommended on the link you provided, but not all of them (missed Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll).  Since I did the scannow yesterday afternoon it hasn't locked up...fingers I am going to wait before I re-register the other dll files.  I know it won't hurt to do them but I want to be able to figure out which of the "fixes" works in case someone else has the same problem later on and is trying to fix their system.  My lockups usually occur within 24 hours.  Those dll's will be my next try if problems persist.

I have no idea why running the Avast is messing up the hyperlinks...perhaps I didn't wait long enough to get the lockups but it was off for a couple days and nothing locked.  As soon as I turned it back on the lockups started in a couple hours.  I do want to make it clear that Avast is on two other winxp sp2 computers I have with similar setups and I haven't had any lockups at all so it could be very unique to some small corruption/incompatibility on this computer.

Thanks...updates as I determine things here!!


  • Guest
Re:Avast causing OE lockups on hyperlinks and more
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2004, 07:00:40 PM »
Final update!!  (I hope)

I think we finally have the lockup problems fixed...I was trying to play a DVD a couple days ago and PowerDVD wouldn't play because of what it called "video card settings and copyprotection".  When I played it in my updated Windows Media Player my computer programs all locked up just like the problems I was having before updating to sp2.  I got to thinking it seemed like my video card was having a problem displaying the DVD so I should see about updating the drivers.  I have an Nvidia Geforce 3 and in the past it was a little iffy to keep changing drivers if the one you had was working fine.  Lately they've updated so that all the Nvidia cards can use the same driver with winxp and it seems to be very much necessary if you have installed the sp2.  I now have the newest driver and I have been trying my best to use as much resources as possible...running DVD's, video capturing and editing, making rar files, running music programs etc.  Nothing has locked up since.

My apologies for thinking Avast was somehow contributing to the lockups :-[.  I think it was a coincidence and perhaps turning off the Avast was saving just enough of the memory (albeit a small amount) to keep me surfing for a long enough time that I thought the problem was fixed by turning it off.  I am a happy camper right now with Avast dutifully  running 5/6 providers and keeping me protected!! ;D

Thanks for all the help folks!