Author Topic: Setup found another antivirus on your system  (Read 5917 times)

AlecBurgess

Setup found another antivirus on your system
« on: July 14, 2003, 07:38:14 PM »
Just downloaded and trying to install the Home version. I get a message box with these contents.
Setup found another antivirus on your system.

If you decide to install this program it may conflict with tfollowing programs:

Norton Antivirus / Internet Security

Continue?

I had previously had NAV 2002 and the rest of the NSW suite, but uninstalled it all (successfully I thought). In the interim I was using AVG 6.0 (working correctly apparently) and uninstalled that in preparation for installing Avast.

Upon receiving the above, I used jv16PowerTools and located some Symantec keys (apparently to do with auto-update) and deleted those.

Next try, still got the same popup.

Used a registry search to locate all occurances of "norton antivirus" in the Registry. Found two (one a GUID-type key -deleted that) thie other has the string "norton antivirus" buried in the binary data of this key:
HKEY_USERS\{long number}\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\98
Value: ViewView2

I havent touched this one but still get the popup warning.

Presumably its OK to go ahead but I'm curious what trace I might have left of NAV-AV that might be triggering this reaction?

Regards ... Alec

AlecBurgess

Re:Setup found another antivirus on your system
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 07:41:20 PM »
sorry - Win2K SP4 if it matters - Alec

jdong

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 07:42:47 PM »
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

Follow the above Link to Symantec's RNAV tool that completely cleans out NAV.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 04:31:52 AM »
Setup found another antivirus on your system

Just downloaded and trying to install the Home version. I get a message box with these contents.
Setup found another antivirus on your system.
If you decide to install this program it may conflict with tfollowing programs: Norton Antivirus / Internet Security
Continue?

I´m used a system just with AVG 6.0 and the rest of the NSW 2003 suite (NOT NAV).
I have used a lot the jv16PowerTools (it´s a great application) but nobody can be free of NAV and Symantec keys. Symantec just corrupt your registry. Nobody could say nothing agains this!  :o

Avast continue not working well in my system. It blocks the DOS programs under XP.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 10:05:25 AM »
This message is shown to inform you that if you will continue with installation you may get in problems. Using multiple antivirus programs (especially their resident parts) may result in operating system crashes or other "nonstandard" behaviour of it.

So its up to you what antivirus you will choose to protect you but remember that more antiviruses installed does not mean better protection!!!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 11:24:56 AM »
What avast is checking is the presence of the symevent device driver. Whit driver collides with avast. As far as we know, it's part of Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security.

If you don't have such a driver (see HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SymEvent), you should have no problem running avast (of course, unless you have some other AV program instead of Norton, such as AVG6 [AVG7 is OK I believe]).

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.