Author Topic: Speeding Up A Boot Time Scan in Version 5.1?  (Read 5816 times)

Jack 1000

Speeding Up A Boot Time Scan in Version 5.1?
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:15:19 AM »
Hey Avast,

What should I check or uncheck to speed up a boot time scan in Avast 5.1?  Regular scans take about 20 mins to a half hour.  Normally, in the rare times I have done a boot time scan, the files being scanned just fly by on the screen.  But this time it was going really slow like it was checking each one.

I ran Avast update and closed the Avast Window manually.  I also have Scan for PUP's checked.  The thing is, I had that checked before and it went really fast with the previous version before this last 5.1 update.  Any ideas?

Jack

SafeSurf

Re: Speeding Up A Boot Time Scan in Version 5.1?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:19:24 AM »
Jack, it would be helpful if you could enter your Signature in your Profile so that we have all pertaintent information so that we can help you quicker.  Thank you.

Could you please list the following either in a post or Signature:
1. What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Other security software
2. OS, RAM

Scanning for PUP's will slow down your machine. 

Have you made any changes to your machine recently?  Added new software, exe. files, etc?

You mentioned that you updated versions.  Are you using 5.1 or 6.0?

Prior to doing a boot scan, have you done a Quick scan to see if you are clean?  Most people reserve doing a boot scan when they are suspicious of something.  Is your machine acting normally?  Thank you.

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:07:05 AM »
Thanks for updating your Signature. :) Do you use a Firewall (FW)?

It appears from your scans that your machine is clean and acting fine.  So perhaps the scanning for PUPS is what slowed things down. 

I would also suggest if you don't already do this to clean your system with something like CCleaner prior to doing a boot scan (or any scan).  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – 4th option down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system, allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  This may help your scans go a little quicker.

If your problem continues, let us know.  Thanks.

Jack 1000

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »
Thanks for updating your Signature. :) Do you use a Firewall (FW)?

It appears from your scans that your machine is clean and acting fine.  So perhaps the scanning for PUPS is what slowed things down.  

I would also suggest if you don't already do this to clean your system with something like CCleaner prior to doing a boot scan (or any scan).  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – 4th option down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system, allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  This may help your scans go a little quicker.

If your problem continues, let us know.  Thanks.

Oh I have had HORRORS with CC cleaner!  It has messed up registery settings, deleted cookies when I tell it not to, changed a lot of things that I did not like.  This was before my drive reformat last August.  I will give you guys some background on my system:

I provided my system information in my signature for reference and Avast version 5.1.889.  I ran a full scan, it took the normal time.  Did a fresh reinstall of Windows XP last August.  Thanks for the info about the PUP's.  I scan for those on regular scans.  Yes totally clean with a recent Full Scan with Avast and a Full Scan with MBAM.  Computer runs very well.

I remember when I first got version 5 the Boot Scan was slow than, so it might have been just me being impatient.  It's an old system (Dell Dimension 3000) but runs great for its age.  I also have the Web of Trust plug in (WOT) and use IE 8 as my browser.

Drive was reformated and Windows was reinstalled last August.  BEFORE THE REFORMAT I had been through I think AVG on this machine and MSE.  I have had this computer since October 2004.  I think it came with a demo of Norton, but as the drive has since been reformatted, all I have for security programs is Avast and the free On Demand for MBAM.  Computer runs very well and is very clean.  Boots up in less than a minute.

Jack

PS.  Just use the built-in Windows XP Firewall.  Also have Wireless Home Networking.  ISP is Road Runner from TWC.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:15:52 AM by Jack 1000 »

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:18:03 AM »
Oh I have had HORRORS with CC cleaner!  It has messed up registery settings, deleted cookies when I tell it not to, changed a lot of things that I did not like.  This was before my drive reformat last August.
Most of us use CCleaner with great success.  You have control over what you delete in cookies, and you can tell CCleaner if you want to save certain cookies.  As for the registry cleaner, I recommend that people make a back up in Documents or on a USB stick temporarily "just in case" they need it.  Perhaps when you were doing all your cleaning up of your prior AV's, things got messed up on your machine causing all these errors.  But this is your machine, so you need to select a program that you are comfortable with.  This was a suggestion that is light on the system and easy to use. 

But you do not mention that you have a firewall.  Do you have one? 

Jack 1000

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
Oh I have had HORRORS with CC cleaner!  It has messed up registery settings, deleted cookies when I tell it not to, changed a lot of things that I did not like.  This was before my drive reformat last August.
Most of us use CCleaner with great success.  You have control over what you delete in cookies, and you can tell CCleaner if you want to save certain cookies.  As for the registry cleaner, I recommend that people make a back up in Documents or on a USB stick temporarily "just in case" they need it.  Perhaps when you were doing all your cleaning up of your prior AV's, things got messed up on your machine causing all these errors.  But this is your machine, so you need to select a program that you are comfortable with.  This was a suggestion that is light on the system and easy to use. 

But you do not mention that you have a firewall.  Do you have one? 

I just use the built in one on Windows XP.  Works fine for me.  Oh BTW, just did a Boot Time Scan, with the PUP thing turned off and we are back to normal.  Thanks!

Jack

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »
I also have the Web of Trust plug in (WOT) and use IE 8 as my browser.
Remove WOT as it is unreliable.

I have never had a problem with CCleaner.

Daris

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 05:10:38 PM »
Yes, in my case I don't keep any cookies or anything...I don't even set the CCleaner for notifications or to save backups or restore points..Been using it for over 4 years...wipe everything except free space....35 gutman passes...Also I use Eusing free reg cleaner...I find it is not agressive yet shows you the advanced or auto options depending on your comfort...between the 2 my comp seems to work fine....I have tried Glary also but I find it a little more agressive on the registry and It keeps creating temp folder whch revo always finds....I think they need an update.....Anyways just my 2 cents.

danjmilos

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »
YoKenny,

Where did you get the information that WOT is unreliable?

Dan

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:07:48 AM »
I just use the built in one [FW] on Windows XP.  Works fine for me.  Oh BTW, just did a Boot Time Scan, with the PUP thing turned off and we are back to normal.
Glad to hear the Boot time scanning issue is resolved.  :D

As for your FW, the XP FW is extremely weak and only offers 1-way protection instead of 2-way protection which puts you at risk.  I would suggest that you get a third-party FW for 2-way protection.  There are many available both free and paid.  Some that are compatible with Avast are: Avast IS (AIS), Online Armor (free or paid), Outpost (free or paid), Comodo (without the AV).  I suggest that you try an 30-day trial with one one of these at a time to see how you like it and how it "plays" with your machine and other software; just make sure you  know how to uninstall the software before you install because leaving any remnants behind will mess up installing the next one. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions.  Thanks.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »
Yes, in my case I don't keep any cookies or anything...I don't even set the CCleaner for notifications or to save backups or restore points..Been using it for over 4 years...wipe everything except free space....35 gutman passes
That is quite un-necessary unless you are afraid that there is something that the FBI wants to look at
Most of the patterns in the Gutmann method were designed for older MFM/RLL encoded disks. Relatively modern drives no longer use these older encoding techniques, making many of the patterns specified by Gutmann superfluous.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:45:43 PM »
YoKenny,

Where did you get the information that WOT is unreliable?
Just ask bob3160