Author Topic: Can't scan with Avast  (Read 15791 times)

megaman04

Can't scan with Avast
« on: September 09, 2004, 04:15:40 AM »
I need some help with getting Avast to scan again. When I double click on the Avast icon, a memory test starts, but afterwards the Avast rectagular box doesn't appear to enable me to right click on the box to start my scan. A window popped up from MSN titled "Install On Demand" (Internet Explorer) with this message, "To display language characters correctly, you need to download and install the following components: Pan-European Text Display Support." But I didn't download it. Do I need to do this inorder for the Avast rectangular box to appear? I don't know what to do. Do I do some kind of an Avast update? Before when I got connected online, a message from Avast would appear indicating the latest update has been successfully installed. Now, it doesn't do that anymore ever since the above problem occurred. I right clicked on the blue Avast spinning icon ball located on the task bar and selected "updating" and clicked on AVS Update, then it started to update, but I cancelled it. But then it keeps coming up wanting to install every time I click on the Avast icon on the desktop. I don't know what's happening, but could use some advice. Thanks for your expertise.

Megaman

techie101

Re:Can't scan with Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 06:18:15 AM »
Megaman,

Right clicking on the icon will allow you a manual update.
Let Avast finish the update!

Next, let's go into Internet Explorer Toos/Internet Options/Advanced.....
Scroll down to the Browsing category and see if the box for Install on demand (IE) is checked.  If it is, then uncheck it.  If it is not...then check the box. (Box is normally checked by default)

Next, go into Start/Programs/Settings/Control Panel/Add-Remove.....
Highlight Avast.  You will be given the option to Repair.
Click repair and let Avast fix any errors it finds in its' startup files.

Reboot and check the system again.

What is happening is the computer senses that it "needs" additional files to continue.  This is not always necessary.

If system and Avast now work properly, go back and make sure the Install on Demand box is checked.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 06:19:42 AM by Techie101 »

megaman04

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 04:17:02 PM »
Thank you Techie101, I'll implement your solutions. Also, I'll keep my topic placement to one forum. I figured the likelyhood of receiving good advice would increase if I posted my problem in two forums. I'll keep it to one. Thanks for your advice. If for some reason I can't get Avast to scan again, I'll send another post here. Thanks again.

Megaman

techie101

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 04:23:07 PM »
mega...

It is not necessary to "increase" the odds of a reply by posting in more than one area of the forum.

As you can see, we watch them all.  ;)

Nice of you to join us.

megaman04

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 06:24:46 PM »
To Techie101,

I followed your instructions, but the Avast scan rectangle box doesn't appear. So I'm not able to right-click on the box to select where to scan and to start the scan. The only thing that appears is the "avast!-simple user interface" window. This window has been appearing ever since avast was installed. I haven't clicked on the option to not have it appear. But that elusive avast rectangle box hasn't appeared yet. So I'm stuck again; don't know what to do next. Any more advice? There's an "avast! on-access scanner" option located in the revolving avast icon. Do I use that? The message from IE, "To display language characters correctly, you need to download and install the following components: Pan-European Text Display Support," doesn't appear anymore. So I'm not able to download the "Pan" component. Yesterday it appeared 2 or 3 times when the problem first surfaced, but not anymore. So I probably missed the opportunity to fix part of the problem.

Thanks....Megaman

« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 06:29:53 PM by megaman04 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 04:46:58 AM »
The Avast scan rectangle box doesn't appear.

What happens if you run C:\Program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe ?

So I'm not able to right-click on the box to select where to scan and to start the scan.

Where, on the Simple User Interface (skin) or on the Splash Screen?
Can you use the special key of 'context menu' in your keybord (right side of the space bar)

The only thing that appears is the "avast!-simple user interface" window. This window has been appearing ever since avast was installed.  I haven't clicked on the option to not have it appear.

Again, what do you mean? The Simple User Interface or the 'Introdutory Help'?

There's an "avast! on-access scanner" option located in the revolving avast icon. Do I use that?

These are the settings of the providers I suppose...

The message from IE, "To display language characters correctly, you need to download and install the following components: Pan-European Text Display Support," doesn't appear anymore. So I'm not able to download the "Pan" component. Yesterday it appeared 2 or 3 times when the problem first surfaced, but not anymore. So I probably missed the opportunity to fix part of the problem.

No, you do not lose anything... I don't think the problem is related to avast really...
What is the language of your setup.exe file (the file you download to install avast)?
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 06:06:58 AM »
mega,

At the moment, I don't have any further help to offer, but to follow Technicals suggestions.

The reason you are not getting the Pan download request is because you unchecked the "Install on demand" option in IE (At least I think you did....I mentioned it in my post, but the last step was to go back after reboot and "check" the Install on demand option.

Did you do this?

megaman04

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 04:13:04 PM »

I don't know what you mean. I just click on the the avast icon on the desktop to try to get to the scan mode.

When I click on the avast icon on the desktop, avast goes thru a memory test, then the "simple user interface" window (it's a how-to instructional window) appears and usually a rectangle box appears right above it. That box allows me to choose what to scan and how thorough I want it to scan etc...But the rectangle box doesn't appear anymore.

Can you use the special key of 'context menu' in your keybord (right side of the space bar)

I don't know what is the special key "context menu." I looked on the keyboard on the rightside of the space bar and it's not there.

The simple user interface is a "help" window.

What is the language of your setup.exe file (the file you download to install avast)?

How do I find out the language of the setup.exe file? I didn't download the avast program. I'm helping a friend to fix this problem on her computer. It was her brother that installed the avast program. Should I install avast all over again?

Thanks for your advice.....Megaman
[/color]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 04:19:04 PM by megaman04 »

megaman04

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 04:21:09 PM »
mega,

At the moment, I don't have any further help to offer, but to follow Technicals suggestions.

The reason you are not getting the Pan download request is because you unchecked the "Install on demand" option in IE (At least I think you did....I mentioned it in my post, but the last step was to go back after reboot and "check" the Install on demand option.

Did you do this?

Yes, I did that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 04:24:10 PM by megaman04 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 04:56:52 AM »
I don't know what you mean. I just click on the the avast icon on the desktop to try to get to the scan mode.

Run the program: Start Menu > Run > "C:\Program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe"
What do you get from this? After it runs, you can scan what you want...  :P

When I click on the avast icon on the desktop, avast goes thru a memory test, then the "simple user interface" window (it's a how-to instructional window) appears and usually a rectangle box appears right above it. That box allows me to choose what to scan and how thorough I want it to scan etc...But the rectangle box doesn't appear anymore.

If you select an area to scan (drivers, folders) and click 'ok' then the 'retangle' will be back and you can click on the 'Play' button (a triangle like in the CD/tape players).

I don't know what is the special key "context menu." I looked on the keyboard on the rightside of the space bar and it's not there.

A key that simulates the mouse Right click.
Can you right click the skin (Simple user Interface) and reach the 'context menu'?

The simple user interface is a "help" window.

No, definetively the Simple User Interface is not he Introdutory help window...

How do I find out the language of the setup.exe file? I didn't download the avast program. I'm helping a friend to fix this problem on her computer. It was her brother that installed the avast program. Should I install avast all over again?

Well, is the interface in English or which language?

megaman04

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 04:39:05 PM »

Run the program: Start Menu > Run > "C:\Program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe"
What do you get from this? After it runs, you can scan what you want...  :P

I did the above and only the help window pops up but no rectangle box appears to enable me to start a scan. So nothing new happened.

If you select an area to scan (drivers, folders) and click 'ok' then the 'retangle' will be back and you can click on the 'Play' button (a triangle like in the CD/tape players).

I don't have an area that prompts me to choose and scan. Remember a rectangle box appeared that enabled me to commence scanning, but that box doesn't appear anymore. That's my problem. That's the only way I've been able to scan (with the rectangle box). I don't know any other way to commence scanning.

A key that simulates the mouse Right click.
Can you right click the skin (Simple user Interface) and reach the 'context menu'?

I right-clicked on the simple user interface box using the mouse, but there was no "context menu." I don't know what a "skin" is. I didn't see a skin, just a box with five points of instructions, like a tutorial.

No, definetively the Simple User Interface is not he Introdutory help window...

The window that appears after the memory test is done is called the simple user interface. It's a five point instruction on how to's, like a tutorial. It doesn't give me access to do an actual scan.

Well, is the interface in English or which language?

It's English. But how do I remove the avast program and re-install it all over again? I think that's going to solve my problem. Thanks, Megaman.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 04:48:34 PM by megaman04 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 07:53:15 PM »
You're making the things difficult because you don't believe me  :P
You are not talking about the Simple User Interface (picture bellow).
This is the Glass Plate skin. avast! could be shown in different appearances (skins). This is one of them.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 07:53:57 PM »
This is the Introdutory Help window:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 07:56:03 PM »
So, the Introdutory Help windows does not have a context menu.
The Simple User Interface does. Right click the skin or choose the left side above triangle to see it.

If you does not get these... well, go to Control Panel and uninstall avast.
Boot.
After that, try to install it again.
Luck  8)

megaman04

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 08:51:06 PM »
You're making the things difficult because you don't believe me  :P
You are not talking about the Simple User Interface (picture bellow).
This is the Glass Plate skin. avast! could be shown in different appearances (skins). This is one of them.

It's not that I don't believe you Technical. We just weren't connecting with each other on what we were explaining. We were both talking about the same thing, but my knowledge of certain terminology was limited. Thanks for showing me what a "skin" is and the Simple User Interface. I was going to try to copy and paste the tutorial to show you what I was talking about, but you already did it. My problem is that the skin no longer appears, but only the simple user interface (the 5 points tutorial). The skin that used to appear wasn't as fancy as the one you pasted. My dilemma is what to do. Since I don't have a skin I can't right-click on the skin. You mentioned to uninstall Avast, reboot, and install Avast again. I can do that, but remember I didn't install avast; someone else did it. Is the Avast 4 Home download free and is that the one I install? Also I saw on the website an area to download skins. Should I try downloading a skin and is that free? Thanks for all your help....Mega...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 09:05:58 PM by megaman04 »