Author Topic: Can't scan with Avast  (Read 15755 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Can't scan with Avast
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2004, 10:23:11 PM »
My problem is that the skin no longer appears, but only the simple user interface (the 5 points tutorial).

Ok, you have only the Introdutory Help and not the Simple User Interface.
The better will be uninstalling avast through Control Panel > Add/Remove programs / Boot / Install again / Boot.

Is the Avast 4 Home download free and is that the one I install?

If you did not pay for it, you are using the Home version.
If you use avast in Home and for non-commercial purposes you could download it again for free. The registration is free too. Oh, the skins too  8)
The best things in life are free.

megaman04

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2004, 06:05:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice Technical. I have a question about re-installing Avast. Do I close some programs, etc so download can be quicker? It's going to take an hour to open the file or do I save it to the computer. I tried opening the file and the during transferring of files, I get disconnected and have to get connected again. What do I do? I'm not able to reinstall Avast. Thanks...Mega...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2004, 01:42:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice Technical. I have a question about re-installing Avast. Do I close some programs, etc so download can be quicker? It's going to take an hour to open the file or do I save it to the computer. I tried opening the file and the during transferring of files, I get disconnected and have to get connected again. What do I do? I'm not able to reinstall Avast. Thanks...Mega...

I suggest you visit the 'Links' page on my signature and browse a little for 'Download Managers'. You can use Google too: FlashGet, GetRight, Download Accelerator Plus, Flesh Download, etc. are some examples.
Using a program like this you can not even accelerate your download but resume interrupted downloads.
Closing Internet applications (browser, email client, etc.) could accelerate the download.

I suggest you save the setup.exe file to disk and not just 'run' it.

Nancymc128

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2004, 12:40:51 AM »
Hi, techie 101

I am not Mega.........I am Nancymc128 who was corresponding with you regarding Avast blocking AIM.  After getting AIM installed I asked whether it would be blocked again after restarting Avast.  I did not see that you replied to me until just today, as I never received a notification.  

I am so helpless I didn't know how to find you except reply to this quote you sent to Mega.

I started fooling around with Avast today after reading what you sent, even though AIM was working just fine.  I have trouble telling whether Avast is really on and can't figure out what I am reading after right-clicking the A ball.  I am sure, though, that it was fine as I was receiving the audio notices that Avast had been updated.

Now I am at the point where I think I permanently put it on P2P shield and feel I should be on the Standard shield.  When I right-click on the A, I have the option to "stop provider", but not to "start provider". It doesn't give me an option for the standard shield.

If I left-click on the A, the P2P shield window comes up.  Is the virus protection still running?  How can I tell for sure.  Help!!  I appreciate your patience and will make sure I check to be notified of your reply, as it took quite awhile to find you again today.

techie101

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »
Nancy,

Not to tie up this thread, if you click on my "signature" (techie101 in blue) anywhere in the forum, it will bring up a profile screen.  At the botton is "Send ....private message".

or in any of my posts, on the left side under the small avatar (picture), you will see a green flag.  If you run your cursor over it, it will say Instant Message.  Clicking on it will take you an instant message screen.

I will send you some information the same way.
To retrieve it, sign on the forum as you did and look at the far right top of the screen for Messages.  Clicking on the blue link will take you to the messages screen.

Later,  ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 05:23:03 PM by Techie101 »

megaman04

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2004, 07:37:39 PM »

I suggest you visit the 'Links' page on my signature and browse a little for 'Download Managers'. You can use Google too: FlashGet, GetRight, Download Accelerator Plus, Flesh Download, etc. are some examples.
Using a program like this you can not even accelerate your download but resume interrupted downloads.
Closing Internet applications (browser, email client, etc.) could accelerate the download.

I suggest you save the setup.exe file to disk and not just 'run' it.

Thanks Technical for your advice. I did save the setup.exe file to the hard drive and reinstalled avast. I don't know anything about "down load manager," but I'll check it out. Also, thanks to Techie101 for the advice. I'm glad to have downloaded avast successfully. I noticed when I put the mouse arrow on the rotating avast icon ball, this message comes up, "avast on-access scanner, 5 providers total, 4 running." What's that all about? Should the 5th one be running also? I'm curious about that. One other thing, how do I download microsoft IE free upgrades? I was advised to do that by another person when I was working on getting rid of a trojan virus. Thanks...

Mega...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 07:43:53 PM by megaman04 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2004, 09:32:55 PM »
I don't know anything about "down load manager," but I'll check it out.

You can use Google or, if you want, browse the 'Links' page on my signature.

"avast on-access scanner, 5 providers total, 4 running." What's that all about? Should the 5th one be running also? I'm curious about that.

The last one should be the Outlook/Exchange plugin for MS Outlook (not the Express).
When you open it, you will see it active. If MS Outlook is closed, never mind, the plugin is not necessary at that time so, only 4 in 5 possible.

One other thing, how do I download microsoft IE free upgrades?

Try browsing the Download Center of Microsoft and search for the product IE  ;)