Author Topic: Bit of an Annoyance with Threat Detections...  (Read 8989 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Bit of an Annoyance with Threat Detections...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 04:46:35 AM »
Personally I would like to know a) how they know if you have a twitter account and how they incorporate the clickable link to your account.

im assuming through browser cookies from twitter? :-\

I don't think so as browser cookies from twitter shouldn't be accessible to third parties. Whilst it might well be possible to find out if you have a twitter account from what you have on your system. I have to say that isn't something I would have though avast would do. That is why I wanted to know how it would be possible to do it, without it being considered snooping.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 06:55:10 AM »
im guessing it works in the same way that u can share youtube videos to ur facebook simply by being logged into facebook in ur browser on ur PC even if a Facebook tab is not open, and same thing for being able to share youtube video on twitter in the same way. i dont know exactly how its done but thats what i wuld think. and i can agree that i def do not appreciate avast doing this.
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

AdrianH

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 07:35:16 AM »
This is totally wrong, it really is about time Avast stopped playing silly games like this and concentrated on providing what we paid for, a stable ,reliable security system.

5.1 is/was anything but stable and there have been far too many version releases in a short time. Despite reinstalls and repairs 5.1 regularly fails to load shields at system start or shields/firewall suddenly just stop/turn off. I have seen this on several systems and  3 of my own. I am seriously considering removing Avast (3 year,3 machine license) and finding something else to replace it as we keep seeing extra features and "bits" tacked on but an AV that is failing to secure machines.

zfactor

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 07:36:10 AM »
agreed this NEEDS to be removed and honestly s@cks. it seems with ever new version there is more advertising going on with the paid versions. if it was the free one fine and i would not complain one bit but i paid A LOT of money for all my avast lic's (i have more than 12 of them) i should not have to deal with this and i do NOT use nor do i have a twitter account so why do i have this??? this will NOT make me sign up to twitter either it honestly just kinds ticks me off. remove this please

and yes i also seem to only see it on the web shield. on a file shield alert i dont see it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:44:05 AM by zfactor »

doktornotor

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 08:00:25 AM »
Ugh; this social networking madness >:( :-X

I don't mind the advertising banner and upgrade button in the free version, but cluttering any (free or paid) version with completely pointless junk such as the "like" button or this completely sucks. This has absolutely nothing to do with AV functionality, computer protection or whatever.

Imagine having a Twitter icon in MS Office, e.g. PowerPoint that'd produce "Whoa, that was close... finished my presentation just before deadline. Microsoft Office just saved my ass from getting fired! http://www.microsoft.com"

??? :o
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:01:56 AM by doktornotor »