Author Topic: Avast 6 "like" button and a few thoughts  (Read 14385 times)

williamstam

Avast 6 "like" button and a few thoughts
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:13:29 PM »
i agree with leaving it in there for the free versions... but it feels a bit like a slap to the face in the paid for version.. sugestion that in the paid for version we can hide it / it doesnt appear and is on the about page or something..

free = advertising for the paid for avast.. so its good to have the like button on it. but the paid for avast... shouldnt have it

as "cool" as the icons are (big green tick mark) it feels a bit comical.. 5.1 had the whole "professional" touch thing..

over all.. good job :D

when are the webrep plugins for opera and chrome coming :P

mokkaman

Re: Avast 6 "like" button and a few thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:50:35 PM »
and when i clicked like button, it momentarily hanged the Avast gui application.. hope they fix it soon.. and with respect to ur hint abt like button, being an Avast Internet Security user i feel happy to like avast ! its not an AD that pro users need to get rid of

doktornotor

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:29:14 PM »
free = advertising for the paid for avast..

That's what the upgrade button (top right corner) and the banner on the summary tab would be for I guess? The "like" thing is just useless social networking crap cluttering the GUI.  >:(

williamstam

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:53:14 PM »
im not sure what the free version has... just wasnt too impressed the first time it opened up and the left side had to be scrolled like 5px lol i dont see the need for the like button there.. it just feels "cheap" :/ im already spreading the word bout avast... why go and force me into it.. also.. i some how doubt anyone would be pressing that button too often.. maybe give the option on first install? or have a notice "so you been using avast for 2 weeks now.. mind sharing the word? <like btn here>" but not have it popup regularly tho.. like a 1 time deal or somehting.

if a user is really happy bout the program.. they WILL spread the news bout it.. even if they have to type the tweet / fb status themselves.. and IMO a personalised status update.. beats a generic 1 any time.. i dont trust those generic updates

kikker

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:41:15 PM »
Indeed.. I also real don't like to have this button also on the application. I did pay for it and it is up up to me post recommendations.

Having this button makes me less willing to recommend the software.

Real needs to go this button, should be a opt in option.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
I have a few words about it in the free version.  I don't like the twitter button in the threat detected box or the like button on avast! it makes the avast UI look horrible.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:03:04 AM »
An option to hide the button in the paid versions is my opinion.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=71970.msg601272#msg601272
The best things in life are free.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 03:07:09 AM »
The Upgrade button next to the settings button was fine with me but now the like button. that is going way to Far....
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Jack 1000

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 03:18:47 AM »
Where does the "Like Button" link, or connect to?

Jack

hydrogen

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 03:19:49 AM »
i agree "LIKE AVAST" green button in paid version don't belong

mokkaman

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 03:27:03 AM »
im not sure what the free version has... just wasnt too impressed the first time it opened up and the left side had to be scrolled like 5px lol i dont see the need for the like button there.. it just feels "cheap" :/ im already spreading the word bout avast... why go and force me into it.. also.. i some how doubt anyone would be pressing that button too often.. maybe give the option on first install? or have a notice "so you been using avast for 2 weeks now.. mind sharing the word? <like btn here>" but not have it popup regularly tho.. like a 1 time deal or somehting.

if a user is really happy bout the program.. they WILL spread the news bout it.. even if they have to type the tweet / fb status themselves.. and IMO a personalised status update.. beats a generic 1 any time.. i dont trust those generic updates

the scroll bar exists even in Internet security version!!

norel

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:21:10 AM »
I'm also clueless as to what the "Like Avast?" button is supposed to do. When I click it, it just says retrieving information then closes and doesn't do anything as far as I can see. I don't mind it being there but it would be nice to know what it's for.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
I think it should be an opt in/out for Free and paid versions, even if it means doing a Custom install.  And yes, we should all know what this button is for...hint, hint.

doktornotor

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »
I'm also clueless as to what the "Like Avast?" button is supposed to do. When I click it, it just says retrieving information then closes and doesn't do anything as far as I can see. I don't mind it being there but it would be nice to know what it's for.

See below:

williamstam

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
hmm didnt see that post bout it in the beta forums... cant respond there in anycase :/