Author Topic: Avast 6 "like" button and a few thoughts  (Read 14386 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast 6 "like" button and a few thoughts
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
In the next program update, there will be an option (in the program settings) that will allow the user to hide these community features (also including the twitter icon in the virus popups and a few other goodies you may not have discovered yet ;)).

Problem solved I guess?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

doktornotor

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
In the next program update, there will be an option (in the program settings) that will allow the user to hide these community features (also including the twitter icon in the virus popups and a few other goodies you may not have discovered yet ;)).

Problem solved I guess?

Great. The Community tab in settings would be a good place for this.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »
It was not really a problem, but thanks Vlk.
The ability to control is always welcome.
The best things in life are free.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 04:15:36 PM »
this is good news to me, thank you
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

spg SCOTT

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
...and a few other goodies you may not have discovered yet ;)).
Like? ;)

sded

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »
I just think the "like" button is a bit too "comodoish" for a company like Avast!   :P

LunarWolf

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »
That is nice to hear. But hide the button by default. It makes the GUI ugly. Rather than a like button, why not have a donate button like I suggested last time in the community tab. That is definitely better than a "like button" lol

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »

Problem solved I guess?

Absolutely resolved, there is nothing many users dislike than having something forced on them with no way to configure/remove it.

I think we saw that with the 'Protected by avast' boot-time notification poll topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bwob

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »
What the 'like' button does is annoy the Hell out of me after paying for AIS and evanglising it with everyone I know. I dislike the moronic facebookisation of the world and am disappointed to see the avast! people being suckered in like sheep.

I dislike it so much, in fact, I uninstalled V6 and put V5 back in where it will stay until the avast! crew yank the damn thing or have it hidden by default.

If they decide not to, I am sad to say will be shopping for another application to do the job.

bwob

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
Sorry about a point. I am still using AIS V5, as it is on 3 of my computers. One has avast! Pro, and it was the one that I did the V5 to V6 upgrade to (with the near-immdiate reversion to V5).

But I still despise turning the world into facebook...let the Americans do the experimentation on themselves.

mattburles

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 07:26:46 PM »
now if we could just hide the green upgrade button in the free version and yes i know its free and the point is to upgrade sooner or later and that is why it is there but if they dont want to hide it at least make it a different color so it blends into the GUI more. the green sticks out. id prefer if it looked like the help center and settings button.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:28:24 PM by mattburles »

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
now if we could just hide the green upgrade button in the free version and yes i know its free and the point is to upgrade sooner or later and that is why it is there but if they dont want to hide it at least make it a different color so it blends into the GUI more. the green sticks out. id prefer if it looked like the help center and settings button.

i dont really think that is necessary, ur getting a free product and its an ad for their own product so its completely justified to be there and to be made in a way so that its noticeable.
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

mattburles

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »

i dont really think that is necessary, ur getting a free product and its an ad for their own product so its completely justified to be there and to be made in a way so that its noticeable.

change it so its orange instead of green than so it fits in with the GUI?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »
I think we saw that with the 'Protected by avast' boot-time notification poll topic.
Sorry the off topic, but this message appeared only once for me.
Should it appear in each boot? ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »

Problem solved I guess?

Thanks
Vlk
Will the option be in the free version?
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).