Author Topic: How to sandbox my browser ?  (Read 2361 times)

zalazeel

How to sandbox my browser ?
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
Hello every one
I just don't understand "auto sandbox" feature ....
does isolate browsers automatically ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to sandbox my browser ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:48:34 PM »
No it doesn't isolate browsers.

Avast AutoSandbox info - see http://public.avast.com/mkt/20110124_Avast_Autosandbox.pdf

The full Sandbox, Process Virtualisation can be used selectively to isolate browsers, etc. but that is only in the Pro/AIS paid versions of avast.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:50:06 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

Re: How to sandbox my browser ?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:56:15 PM »
No,it does not, and I wouldn't like it if it did. It works in conjunction with the behavior shield and the heuristics detection. If it determines that an application is not whitelisted and is trying to perform actions that some malware will exhibit, it asks you if you want to run it sandboxed.

It has found one thing so far for me on the Vista machine. We have a program installed called Capturix Scanshare which lets me use the scanner from my computer even though it's connected to the Vista machine. I don't even have to have file and print sharing or anything like that turned on. Avast! asked about it, I clicked on allow and remember the answer and it's fine.

I'm not thrilled about the addition of this function and may turn it off on at least the Vista machine since it's primary user would just be confused by a popup like that. She hasn't seen or heard of a sandbox since Kindergarten and we're both 62 now.  :)