Author Topic: Version 6 disables my system after install & reboot [mothership]  (Read 16334 times)

zerospam

Re: Version 6 disables my system after install & reboot [mothership]
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 06:04:27 PM »
Bump. Others are still reporting this or similar problems (see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74157.0 for the most recent). What's the ETA on a fix?

doktornotor

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »
The latest is 6.0.1035 prerelease at the moment, and "Yes, I had AVG free before and it didn't uninstall properly" is not exactly avast! issue...

zerospam

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
The latest is 6.0.1035 prerelease at the moment
The release notes for that version do not reference this bug. I run a business and cannot just install stuff to see if it works. I bought Avast to have a reliable, unobtrusive virus scanner, not to put my data and time at risk by testing betas.

and "Yes, I had AVG free before and it didn't uninstall properly" is not exactly avast! issue...
And where does that quote appear in http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74157.0 ? Hint: it doesn't. Nor did the person reporting that bug indicate that AVG failed to uninstall properly. That's your inference, as is the idea that that purported problem caused the user's symptoms.

doktornotor

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 07:16:34 PM »
The release notes for that version do not reference this bug.

It can't reference a "bug" reported 3 hours ago, especially if the cause is not confirmed (and likely just a conflict with leftover crap). ::)

P.S. If you run a business then don't install prerelease stuff on production boxes, as easy as that. 

zerospam

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
The release notes for that version do not reference this bug.

It can't reference a "bug" reported 3 hours ago
Then why did you imply that it may have fixed it? Also, I originally reported the same or a very similar problem not 3 hours ago, but 3 weeks ago.

P.S. If you run a business then don't install prerelease stuff on production boxes, as easy as that.
Right. Which I why I'm still using 5.0.545. And would be using 4.8 if support had not ended for it. The fact is, I paid for this product and expect to get a quality product, not to get something that locks up my system.

Now, do you have any actual help to offer on this bug?

doktornotor

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
Then why did you imply that it may have fixed it? Also, I originally reported the same or a very similar problem not 3 hours ago, but 3 weeks ago.

I didn't imply anything. I simply said "Yes, I had AVG free before and it didn't uninstall properly" is not exactly avast! issue...  ::) Unless you try, you will never know. And linking random posts with "similar" issues won't exactly help to solve or test it either, sorry.

Right. Which I why I'm still using 5.0.545. And would be using 4.8 if support had not ended for it. The fact is, I paid for this product and expect to get a quality product, not to get something that locks up my system.

Now, do you have any actual help to offer on this bug?

Unless you are willing to debug your issue with uptodate version installed, then no, I don't have any advice than sticking with obsolete 5.0.545. Issues the cause of which is not known cannot be fixed.

zerospam

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
Bump. More users have reported the same or a very similar problem to the existing thread at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72355.0 .

doktornotor

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 10:24:37 AM »
Bump. More users have reported the same or a very similar problem to the existing thread at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72355.0 .

As already noted:

Unless you are willing to debug your issue with uptodate version installed, then no, I don't have any advice than sticking with obsolete 5.0.545. Issues the cause of which is not known cannot be fixed.

Now stop this useless bumpspam  >:(

PCouture66

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 03:29:40 AM »
Suffered the same issue last week when updating to version 6 with Zone Alarm. Lost auto-start and pc virtually froze. Had to get XP reinstalled, tried with the latest versions, same issue. Disabled Avast, everything is now fine.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 03:33:02 AM »
Hmmm... Will it happen if you uninstall ZoneAlarm? Seems one is blocking the other.
The best things in life are free.

womble

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 05:30:34 AM »
any one who got a genuine fix for this must be very lucky!
 i got the problem around a week and a half ago (its now apr 11th 2012) and NONE of the suggested foxes work. and to be honest with the amount of folk getting this "problem" avast SHOULD SURELY have sorted it themselves by now. got sick of being expected to be a tech-head, and just want it uninstalled but it wont even do me the courtesy of that either. am stuck with a program that wont uninstall or work!

had to go back to crapp AVG. dammit...
GET IT SORTED! 1000's of folk suddenly in past few months all getting SAME PROBLEM.
incidently, the same day it started to not work was the same day my pc kept restarting unexpecedly, and gets really bad sometimes with that! am guessing a virus got in when avast 6 f**ked up.., THANKS A BL**DY LOT GUYS

topiogigio

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 04:15:54 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:24:06 AM by topiogigio »