Author Topic: do i have a key logger (avast 6 internet security user)  (Read 4476 times)

zzcool

do i have a key logger (avast 6 internet security user)
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:01:21 AM »
basically i am asking this as i got warned thru my myspace account that someone tryed to access my account and that my account got locked so noone could send any messages thru the account i was also told to change password by accessing my account did they mean a simple guessing game or did someone really get my password?

is it possible that i have a keylogger on my pc i use avast internet security which i bought 2 years of when i got it for the price of 1 year and i got all priority settings set to high

any help here

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: do i have a key logger (avast 6 internet security user)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:05:46 AM »
Whatever you do don't connect using any link in that email (if it were an email). This sounds like a scan/phishing, which used to actually trick you into giving your information out and then your account will be theirs.

This is a very common trick used for all sorts of accounts, including bank accounts.

If this is a legit warning by myspace they are bunch of idiots as this is a common scamming tactic and they are more likely to frighten users than to reassure.

If you connect to your myspace account in the normal way, not from any link sent or webpage display it is possible to redirect to pages that look like the read thing. If in logging on to your account in the way you normally do there is still that warning, check out the FAQs and any support/help links to see what is said (before doing anything else. There are lots of people that will try to guess user passwords, so passwords have to be strong and not names or words which a dictionary attack will easily find.

See http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=someone+tried+to+access+my+myspace+account lots of instances here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:41:09 AM »
I agree with the advice DavidR gave you. I'd like to add that it wouldn't hurt to have an expert look into it as well. You can get free and dedicated help at spywarehammer

http://www.spywarehammer.com/

zzcool

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:03:33 PM »
Whatever you do don't connect using any link in that email (if it were an email). This sounds like a scan/phishing, which used to actually trick you into giving your information out and then your account will be theirs.

This is a very common trick used for all sorts of accounts, including bank accounts.

If this is a legit warning by myspace they are bunch of idiots as this is a common scamming tactic and they are more likely to frighten users than to reassure.

If you connect to your myspace account in the normal way, not from any link sent or webpage display it is possible to redirect to pages that look like the read thing. If in logging on to your account in the way you normally do there is still that warning, check out the FAQs and any support/help links to see what is said (before doing anything else. There are lots of people that will try to guess user passwords, so passwords have to be strong and not names or words which a dictionary attack will easily find.

See http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=someone+tried+to+access+my+myspace+account lots of instances here.

this was written in swedish and appeared as soon as i logged in on my myspace account so no i never pressed a link or got emailed about it so it seems pretty legit

i did a full system scan 598,3 gb tested not a single threat/virus detected

should i worry or was it just someone who tryed to access it by guessing i use a 15 char pass with numbers and it's a made up word impossible to guess

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »
this was written in swedish and appeared as soon as i logged in on my myspace account so no i never pressed a link or got emailed about it so it seems pretty legit

You should make sure you are really logging to myspace and not a phishing site (redirected there by hosts file or whatever).