Author Topic: Having issues trying to scan folders with avast! 6...  (Read 16493 times)

Nesivos

Re: Having issues trying to scan folders with avast! 6...
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »
@Saito S

Form the drive images you linked to above it is clear that your drives are way over capacity.

Very good rule of thumb.

Limit your disk drive usage to 50% of the logical and physical drives with at least 50% free space.  Though some will say that you only need 10% - 15% of free space my experience has been 50% is a safe number.  You appear to have about 15% - 20% free, but my personal experience is that at that percentage of free disk space you are going to have some major slow downs in a number of disk intensive programs especially if the C: drive is below 20% which yours appears to be.

Also, if you are using Windows Backup and Restore to backup up the Windows Systems Image you might want to check how much disk space these files are taking.  They could be taking up a lot of unnecessary space if you have a lot of them on your hard drive.  They could also be defragmented which will make it more difficult to defgrag the rest of your hard drive if you do not have a lot of free space on that drive.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:17:32 PM by Nesivos »

Saito S

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 12:42:31 AM »
Last try:

1. Go to http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?modelno=WD1001FALS&x=15&y=11
2. Click on the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) link
3. On the next page, click on the Download button next to Diag504fCD.iso   
4. Once downloaded, burn the downloaded image using whatever suitable application, such as ImgBurn.
5. Reboot your PC, boot from the CD, run the diagnostics.

If you can't follow the above, then sorry but I really don't have the patience nor the time to explain over and over again such simple instructions like how to click on a link on a website to download a file.

There's no need to be rude.  When I clicked on the link you posted the first time, it simply gave me a "Page not found" error.  Refreshing it and trying again took me here:
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

Obviously that's not the page that it's supposed to link to, but at the time, I didn't realize I WASN'T where I was supposed to be.  I clicked on a link, it took me to a page.  Clicking on it NOW takes me to the right place (here: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?modelno=WD1001FALS&x=15&y=11).  So I don't know what happened before.  Perhaps that part of their site was down.  Whatever the case, the ONLY things on the page I was taken to the first time (besides a wall of text) were links to download Acronis True Image and the user manual for the program (which, as I mentioned, didn't work anyway). 

I appreciate the help, but there's no need for condescending sarcasm.  I said I had no experience with recovery software and tools; I never said "I'm an idiot".  I downloaded and installed three different programs as suggested by others before you even posted; obviously I know "how to click on a link on a website to download a file."  That comment in your last post is unproductive and only makes you look like an ass.

Anyway... I will try using this diagnostic tool, now that I can see where to get it.
@Saito S

Form the drive images you linked to above it is clear that your drives are way over capacity.

Very good rule of thumb.

Limit your disk drive usage to 50% of the logical and physical drives with at least 50% free space.  Though some will say that you only need 10% - 15% of free space my experience has been 50% is a safe number.  You appear to have about 15% - 20% free, but my personal experience is that at that percentage of free disk space you are going to have some major slow downs in a number of disk intensive programs especially if the C: drive is below 20% which yours appears to be.
Hmm... I don't know about all that.  I've been operating this way for some time, and haven't had any problems until now.  And the C drive is the one with less free space, proportionally, yet it's perfectly fine.  The only problems are with accessing the H drive specifically.  Plus... I know it's important not to jam a hard drive with TOO much data, but to some degree, there is only so much I can do about keeping a minimum of free space around; I have a certain amount of files that take up what they take up.  I have slacked off on making sure old files that I don't need anymore are deleted; I'm sure I can free up some space by going through and taking stock of my files, and deleting what I don't need.  But I doubt I can free up 50% of my total HDD space. 
Also, if you are using Windows Backup and Restore to backup up the Windows Systems Image you might want to check how much disk space these files are taking.  They could be taking up a lot of unnecessary space if you have a lot of them on your hard drive.  They could also be defragmented which will make it more difficult to defgrag the rest of your hard drive if you do not have a lot of free space on that drive.
I don't believe I've used such a backup option; as I said, I know very little about disk imaging and haven't ever attempted to create one. 

Nesivos

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 03:49:28 AM »
I don't know if your "H" drive is a separate drive or not or internal or external.

Nonetheless, let me elaborate.

1. Check your scans.  Select a scan.  Click on "Show More Detail"----Click on Settings--------Click on Performance.  If there is a a check mark in the lower of the two boxes this could be slowing down your scanning. 

2. Open Task Manager before you scan.  Under "Options" set it to "always stay on top".   Click on "Performance".  Start your scan and follow the memory numbers at the bottom to see how much memory, cache etc you have available as the scan goes along. See if the "Available Physical Memory" falls below 50% of "Total" Memory.  Also follow how much cache is being used.  If you "APM" is getting too low and you are using a lot of cache a disk drive that is as full of yours will slow down the scan.

3.  You can try the same thing when you run a defrag.  In addition, if you have a disk that is 75% or more full and highly fragmented that will cause problems trying to defrag the disk.  This is especially true if you have some large files, like a Windows System backup or two or even more on the hard drive.  The reason for this is your drive may not have enough un-fragmented space to place an un-fragmented file in it that the defgrag software is trying to defrag.

4. If you have an available USB port and don't mind spending the money to buy a hard drive, I would recommend that you purchase one.   Then I would go to your "C" drive and move all or a good chunk of your "Personal Data" files to the new Drive.   I would also move a chunk of your files off of "H" drive onto the new drive.  If you don't have an available USB port and don't mind spending the money to buy a HDD then I would suggest buying a USB hub in addition to the HDD.  Check out what is available on Amazon.  Great prices.  I buy all of my computer hardware accessories from them and rarely have had a problem.

SafeSurf

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 08:07:53 AM »
@ Nesivos,

The OP is unable to defrag the H drive as we have attempted this already.  The C drive has already been defragged without problems.

@ Saito S,

I do agree that you probably have too much on your H drive, and that moving as much as you can off this drive and either onto USB flash or another HDD or an external HDD or your C drive is your best option. 

You can put exe. files (plus other files) on USB flash drives, as I do this to save space, but I would also suggest that you vaccinate your USB's and machine with Panda USB Vaccine (compatible with Avast).  http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-usb-and-autorun-vaccine/ and it can be run on any drive on your machine for removable devices.  You are given the option to "vaccinate" your machine, which means to disable autorun.inf malware from infecting your machine, and you can enable it again (although I wouldn't).  Plus you can "vaccinate" any USB/flash or removable device so that it cannot infect your machine. 

Did you ever uninstall Spyboot w/TT?  If not, please do so (see my Post #12), and also run MBAM (Malwarebytes) just to be sure we are not dealing with malware; I don't think we are but I want to make sure.  Please cut and paste your MBAM log once completed.

Try moving as much as you can from your H drive to other drives or devices and see what happens (including the video you have on there). 

Also check to see how much space you are using for system restore and reset it for the minimum amount needed for your OS to speed things up. 

After you do this, run CCleaner, then reboot.  Then try to defrag both the C (first) and H drive again.  If defragging the H drive takes longer than several hours, stop it, and try the Puran Boot-time defrag: "Restart-Defrag-Restart+Disk Check" and this should only take less than an hour.  If you have problems with the boot-time scan, stop it and report back.  Thanks.