Author Topic: Safe Zone and Sandbox  (Read 7144 times)

twins

Safe Zone and Sandbox
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »
What is the difference between using Safe Zone and using a browser in the Sandbox when using Banking sites? Is Safe Zone more secure? Thank you very much for a nice product(AIS).

Hermite15

Re: Safe Zone and Sandbox
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
sanboxing an application will virtualize the app + everything you may need to use with it, i.e. it will let third party applications interfere while virtualizing them as well. The SafeZone is more restrictive, it won't allow anything, except the basic plugins - flash, java - to interfere with the sandboxed browser.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:37:48 PM »
Keyloggers and screen capture is available in sandboxing and they're NOT on the SafeZone.
Also, the plugins, addons and extension of the browser could collect data while sandboxed.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:54:30 PM »
Sandbox is to keep the infection inside [the sandbox], prevent it from infecting your operating system (if the browser happens to get infected).
SafeZone is to keep the infection out [of the SafeZone] - even if your computer is already infected.

So, I would say that running the browser inside of the Sandbox when doing online banking is... kinda strange (well, unless the banking site itself is infected).

dagrev

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
Good clarification.  I was wondering about that myself.  I understood there was a difference, but didn't know what it was.

slybo

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 01:10:29 AM »
I still would like to know more. If I go to a site and it gives me a virus, once I leave sandbox or safe zone does the virus get wiped out, or what happens. Which mode sandbox or safe zone would be the best to be in if you go to a site with a virus or other malware? Which do I need to use for browsing to be the most safe?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 01:53:06 AM »
I still would like to know more. If I go to a site and it gives me a virus, once I leave sandbox or safe zone does the virus get wiped out, or what happens. Which mode sandbox or safe zone would be the best to be in if you go to a site with a virus or other malware? Which do I need to use for browsing to be the most safe?
Sandbox the browser.
The best things in life are free.

slybo

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 02:06:52 AM »
ok I will give it a try, Thanks