Author Topic: avast! 6: How do I remove the avast! gadget permanently?  (Read 34522 times)

dionisiog

Re: avast! 6: How do I remove the avast! gadget permanently?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »
I never installed the Beta version of Avast, have Windows 7.  I started by removing the gadget from the gadget control menu.  It disappeared.  Everytime my computer boots up,  like a spyware spider,  it's back again.  Horrible!   :'(

Hard to imagine someone could have created a more annoying bug.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »
I never installed the Beta version of Avast, have Windows 7.  I started by removing the gadget from the gadget control menu.  It disappeared.  Everytime my computer boots up,  like a spyware spider,  it's back again.  Horrible!   :'(

Well, how about reading David's reply in the beginning of the thread? The first method works.
And, if you installed the beta version, even the second method would work, the bug is fixed there.

Hard to imagine someone could have created a more annoying bug.

Erm... hard to imagine this might be hard to imagine for anyone ;)

IndigoSyncrasy

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 12:26:21 PM »
I've tried to disable the gadget by opening Avast's setup and changing. But selecting Change as an option updates Avast. Selecting Update as an option updates Avast. Uninstall uninstalls Avast. And I'm not too keen to uninstall and reinstall. That's a cop-out.
Any idea why the uninstall is weird like this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 03:54:15 PM »
The uninstall option in add remove programs doesn't uninstall avast and isn't a cop out as you would subsequently need to so a custom avast install not to install the gadget and nothing about that has been mentioned.

You are actually clicking the Change/Remove option and you should subsequently get further options, e.g. the Change element of avast (plus others).

You don't say what OS you are using or how you know Uninstall uninstalls Avast (did you even try it) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
I've tried to disable the gadget by opening Avast's setup and changing. But selecting Change as an option updates Avast. Selecting Update as an option updates Avast. Uninstall uninstalls Avast. And I'm not too keen to uninstall and reinstall. That's a cop-out.
Any idea why the uninstall is weird like this?

Try this to uninstall the Gadget

1.  Close Gadget by clicking on the "X"
2.  Right click Desktop
3.  Left click on Gadgets
4.  Right click on the Avast Gadget
5.  Click Uninstall