Author Topic: Sad too see Avast failed to detect Trojan 2 times!  (Read 17162 times)

TG

Sad too see Avast failed to detect Trojan 2 times!
« on: September 11, 2004, 04:44:33 AM »
        Till yesterday I was prasing Avast and was spreading it to everyone I know, But  last time I had a attack called wincore I was able to see the file. I scaned the file with Avast Home edition and but it said all is fine and i searched the net it was a virus/Trojan Trend Micro had a detail decription. I ignored it and formatted my System. Similarly yesterday I had a attack called ntsysmgr.exe it was due to some vernability of XP. My firewall started shouting but Avast was quite! I found the ntsysmgr.exe located in system32 folder and I scaned it with Avast!!! It said everything is fine! I checked my hosts file. I was hot by surprised the trojan had already entries to stop me from visiting the anti virus sites. I removed the entries. I checked the net for the virus information and found Norton and Trend had removal tools!
           I downloaded the Norton, scaned the entire system and it detected the ntsysmgr.exe as W32.HLLW.Gaobot virus! So now I have decided to move to Norton inspite its a paid version and slow downs my machine drastically!

atos

Re:Sad too see Avast failed to detect Trojan 2 times!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 05:19:59 AM »
Me too, I send a sample  mslti64.exe = worm Gaobot and nothing, avast not detected yet. ???

Negeltu

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 09:40:21 AM »
Nothing catches everything guys.  Other av progs miss things that Avast catches.  I definitely wouldn't base my decision of an av prog on 1 or 2 misses.  When I switched from Norton to Avast...Avast found 5 trojans that Norton missed and let live happily on my computer.  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 09:41:02 AM by Negeltu »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 09:46:41 AM »
You meantioned the vulnerability of WinXP. Try to sweep before your doors first and update the system...
Also submit the sample to Alwil team (virus at avast dot com) so they will add it to definitions. They cannot add something that they don't have the sample.
Wish you luck with "paid" Norton ;) ;D
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 11:20:37 AM »
It is an illusion to think there is a application that detects all malware. if you like(d) Avast there is no need to switch to Norton. Norton, as well as all other av aplications, don't detect everything as well.

You didn't tell us the whole story, but from what you told it looks like the main reason of the infection is the users behaviour.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 02:20:50 PM »
Wish you luck with "paid" Norton ;) ;D

Yeah, good point my friend RejZor, hahaha... "PAID" version... maybe it's suppose to be paid, but we all know how many people is paying for Norton... no one goes from best freeware antivirus to some stupid paid version, worst system hog ever... simply, there is no common sense to do that...

No matter avast didn't catch that trojan/virus, whatever, I never received any single on my computer... Like Eddy said, it's almost 95% up to user. Don't open every stupid attachment, or start executable files without checking them manually first... how hard is to right-click downloaded file and choose SCAN (Some File) from the pull down menu ? Other thing, I guess at least 70% of us is using some online virus checker... just in case if avast! wasn't so quick with antivirus definitions update, Housecall is always there and it's not interfering with avast! in any way. Great backup scanner, and first online choice.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 02:28:22 PM by Craftec »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 03:01:16 PM »
Sad to see that through your actions or rather inactions, you have left vulnerabilities un-patched when MS patched them ages ago. Many love to bash MS but at least they patched the vulnerability, you didn't patch your system. You have to take responsibility for your computer security, sh*t happens and when it does don't forget to apportion blame to all concerned.

This worm takes advantage of the following Windows vulnerabilities:

* IIS5/WEBDAV Buffer Overflow vulnerability
    * Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) vulnerability

For more information about these Windows vulnerabilities, please refer to the following Microsoft Web pages:

* Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026
    * Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-007

It also attempts to log on to systems using a list of user names and passwords. It drops a copy of itself into accessible machines.

This worm has backdoor capabilities. It executes commands sent in via Internet Relay Chat (IRC) and can be used to launch a Denial of Service (DoS) attack against specified target sites.

It terminates certain antivirus processes.

This worm runs on Windows NT, 2000, and XP.

If you leave the door open don't be surprised if you get burgled, so what happens when Norton lets you down (it has already slowed your system), ditch that and get another? There are many happy ex Norton users in these forums. Don't rush to judgement, it's your loss.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TG

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 06:59:21 PM »
       1.Thank yu guys for your reply. What is the problem with MS is if a used had to format his HDD and reinstall the XP then he needs to start over again for updates! My Update manager is on! But even before I update the system i was hit by the Trojan. My last submission of Wincore is yet pending no updated signature is available their.
        2.Honestly I hate Norton and paying too! But what is important is my data on the drive. I do know that no AV can be 100% perfect! but I atleast expect that Avast should catch the Virus 50% time when I'm hit! and 2 times i was hit and 2 times it failed!
        3. Updating windowsXP is a joke! My update manager keeps downloading and patching the system all the time! But again what if you had to format again? If you do then you have to start over again patching the system.  Good thing was I had a good firewall that alerted me!
        4. Most important thing! If the package I install is not protecting my needs and is ready to catch the things I'm not getting hit by what is the use of it? Norton sucks! It has drastically slow down my system! But I'm much secure than Avast!

TG

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 07:05:10 PM »
         Also I dont use IE nor I use Outlook and I dont open every dam attachment not I download any dam thing! I'm very careful when it comes to downloading since my data on machine is pretty important for me. The Trojs that i was hit by were XP vernabilities and they can hit anyone who's XP is not constantly patched!
       I use Firefox and Thunderbird and to all guys here using IE and Outlook trust me switch to Firefox and Thunderbird it will reduce your threat of Virus, Spam vernabilities by many many percentages!

Staind

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 07:06:54 PM »
So, you have an unpatched xp machine and you're wondering why you're getting infected?

TG

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 07:41:09 PM »
        No! Getting infection on XP is a pretty common thing! I'm wondering for Avast even when I found the exact file Avast was unable to detect it! Later i moved those 2 files to Desktop [cool.exe and ntsysmgr.exe] right clicked on them and asked Avast to scan them and still Avast was saying they are clean! no virus found! same files when installed Norton immediately were removed by Norton!

lee16

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 08:36:03 PM »
Did you try sending them to avast for checking?

As people said above, there is no 100% protection
Also avast provides email, phone, and forum support to free aswell as paying customers, nortan is somewhat unfriendly to the paying customer anless you are a big company.

Another thing, when Nortan fails to detect 1 - 2 virus(es), are you going to change you anti-virus again and waste more money?

--lee
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 08:38:38 PM by lee16 »

conazus

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2004, 09:24:30 PM »

You didn't tell us the whole story, but from what you told it looks like the main reason of the infection is the users behaviour.

can you say  "PEBKAC"  ?     ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2004, 09:41:28 PM »
TG, there is no excuses for this lack of detection...
Can you send cool.exe and ntsysmgr.exe files for Alwil to analysis (virus at avast.com)?

Anyway, we can discuss your avast configurations...
For instance, you said, right clicking the files and scanning them. Well, you should know the differences between the Home version and the Quick scanner of avast, for instance. It's not an excuse. Just differences between programms.  :-\
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2004, 10:37:52 PM »
TG wrote:
3. Updating windowsXP is a joke! My update manager keeps downloading and patching the system all the time! But again what if you had to format again? If you do then you have to start over again patching the system.  Good thing was I had a good firewall that alerted me!

There is very good solution for that problem. It's called AutoStreamer and you can download it from here:

http://mhtools.knoware.nl/raptor/autostreamer/AutoStreamer.zip

Interesting thing is Slipstreaming of Windows XP (no matter is it Home Edition or Pro or even Corporate edition) and SP2. It's unbelievable easy for use, just follow instructions on screen. When you slipstream it into one ISO file, you can burn it on CD and after that you have your copy of Windows XP (Home or Pro edition) + SP2 included. As soon as you finish installing your Windows from that CD (assuming that you're going to perform clean-install after format sometimes in the future, as you mentioned above), SP2 is already installed. No need to wait untill it's downloaded and installed every single time you want to install Windows again...  IMHO, unbelievable simple... however - best tool ever !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 10:40:25 PM by Craftec »