Author Topic: WebRep erratic/now dead, and other snags with version 6.0  (Read 8356 times)

webhybrid

WebRep erratic/now dead, and other snags with version 6.0
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »
[[Vista 32-bit/Firefox 4.0 beta 11]] At first I updated from v.5-something to v.6.0 (free) using the built-in updater in v.5. All seemed fine until I discovered the old Avast 5 link remained in my list of software in the Start Panel - and that link launched v.6. In the interest of leaving well enough alone, I didn't fuss with it.

But about one day later I noticed the WebRep toolbar icon had gone gray - oh no, my long-awaited favorite new feature! I tried disabling it in Firefox Add-ons, thinking I could re-enable it in an effort to jumpstart it again. But it vanished altogether from the list of Add-ons.

So I used the Avast 6 installer to "change" my install. That made no difference WebRep-wise, so I uninstalled the original v.6 (which seemed a little messed up anyway) and reinstalled using a downloaded standalone setup package. This did put WebRep back into the Firefox Add-ons, with the expected toolbar icon. Nonetheless the toolbar icon remained grayed out.

Then I googled the problem and found a few threads on this forum indicating the WebRep server had been down. Even though one entry - dated yesterday - indicates the server problem had been resolved, it doesn't seem to be, here in northern California anyway. Haven't seen a sign of life in that toolbar icon.

Other than the semi-messed-up first install and these WebRep problems, Avast 6 looks excellent to me (as did v4 and v.5). Can't wait for 6.1.

Jonas_FR

Re: WebRep erratic/now dead, and other snags with version 6.0
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:18:49 PM »
WebRep is grayed for me too (in France).

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:47:01 PM »
It's the server for more info see  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=71936.msg600857#msg600857
Just give them some time. Patience is a virtue.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:57:51 PM »
Wouldn't be too hard a task to put a sticky topic here on top "WebRep Server down" as long as the problem prevails, would it?

Everybody is confused (as you can see by the number of posts to this WebRep thing), so a sticky post would probably help a little.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

webhybrid

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
It's the server for more info see  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=71936.msg600857#msg600857

Not really accurate. At the bottom of the above-cited thread it says (dated yesterday) "The server has been upgraded and is back up now." Which apparently isn't the case.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »

Not really accurate. At the bottom of the above-cited thread it says (dated yesterday) "The server has been upgraded and is back up now." Which apparently isn't the case.
It was when I posted the above. And according to other threads it still is.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 07:11:56 AM »
Avast is working on a repair for this issue: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72297.0.

Erebus

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »
I have not yet updated to V6 because I figured there'd be a few bugs. Can anyone tell me please what this WebRep thing is (that doesnt seem to be working)and can it be opted out of with the new version given that it seems to be causing a lot of issues. Otherwise I may wait until a less buggy version is released. Thanks in advance. :)

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »
Can anyone tell me please what this WebRep thing is (that doesnt seem to be working)and can it be opted out of with the new version given that it seems to be causing a lot of issues.

Yes of course, it's not forced on you in any way. And frankly, the only issue I've seen reported is that it's either not installed, not working or doesn't support %mybrowser% yet  - I wouldn't exactly say it's causing a lot of issues.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:37:06 AM by doktornotor »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 09:01:55 AM »
I have not yet updated to V6 because I figured there'd be a few bugs. Can anyone tell me please what this WebRep thing is (that doesnt seem to be working)and can it be opted out of with the new version given that it seems to be causing a lot of issues. Otherwise I may wait until a less buggy version is released. Thanks in advance. :)

It's not really causing issues. It is just not working at the moment, but it does not result in errors or Avast working the wrong way.
You may install it and it will start working automatically as soon as the server problem is fixed.
It is not a problem at all.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Erebus

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies, but my question still remains: what is WebRep and why would I need it? ;)

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 09:36:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies, but my question still remains: what is WebRep and why would I need it? ;)

Google works wonders these days...  ;)

Erebus

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 09:38:49 AM »
Google works wonders these days...  ;)

Fair enough, but I thought that given this was the avast! forum and it's part of avast! I would ask here. My mistake I guess. (I'll stick with my current version.) :(

doktornotor

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 09:41:51 AM »
There's nothing wrong about asking here - my point was that it's usually a whole lot faster to Google it than wait for someone to answer this kind of question.

Erebus

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »
In the time it took you to give me that somewhat redundant feedback you may have been able to answer my query instead. Anyway, point taken. I won't bother coming here for info again.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:52:23 AM by Erebus »