Author Topic: where the ignorance can go?  (Read 5226 times)

vecchio

where the ignorance can go?
« on: February 26, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
HI
I'm Brazilian as you can see
I am checking Avast reputations and coments in the main Brazilian download site www.baixaki.com.br about new v6(wonderfull in my particular opinion)

So, to my bad surprise, i see someone not recomend avast because it dont clean TRACKING COOKIES)

So it seems for this people, a av which not delete tracking cookies is not good?

Come on, its a joke, its really an absurd

From my little knowledge, an av program is not made to clean cookies an yes to clean hard virus infections

I am just writing this to advise people here to pay attention when and where read comments

Tracking cookies?LOL!

aVAST IS THE BEST OF THE BEST

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: where the ignorance can go?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
More than that... Adding the option to clean innocuous cookies won't make avast better.
The user can always clean the browser when it finishes or use CCleaner after all.
The best things in life are free.

vecchio

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:16:33 PM »
Even more than that
Mainly all the browsers today have options to clean the history
So why should avast take care about cookies?LOL!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:30:46 PM »
Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

vecchio

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:41:22 PM »
Thanks dave i am sure cookies is a small thing and thats why i am saying the user should not be worried if avast clean cookies or not
Thanks

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
For those using Firefox through FF4.0B11 which is the latest they can install the addon "Better Privacy".  It has a whole bunch of options with respect to handling cookies.

If you run FF in "Private Browsing" mode website cookies installed when visiting the website will not be retained once you exit the website.

I don't use "Privacy Browsing" but instead use the addon "Better Privacy" because I like to retain my browsing history.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/private%20browsing

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 09:59:45 PM »
Thanks dave i am sure cookies is a small thing and thats why i am saying the user should not be worried if avast clean cookies or not
Thanks

That is why I gave the link so you could post it to show just who irrelevant cookies are. Tracking cookies just sounds very serious and for the most part they are 3rd party cookies.

Any browser worth its salt will have the setting not to accept 3rd party cookies (those not originating from the site you are visiting) and that will almost alleviate them at a stroke. Most will also have settings to either delete all cookies when you close the browser.

Cookie Monster for firefox is another add-on to help control cookies as by default it will allow session cookies and only allow permanent (restricted by a date) for sites that you allow. All session cookies are removed when you close your browser.

So as you can see cookies are an irrelevance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:00:07 PM »
Thanks

???
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

vecchio

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »
Thanks

???

Where is the problem? just saying again cookies are an irrelevant issue

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
Where is the problem? just saying again cookies are an irrelevant issue

NP, my mistake.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0