Author Topic: mail washer and avast latest  (Read 2942 times)

jack_90125

mail washer and avast latest
« on: February 26, 2011, 12:59:16 AM »
Y have latest avast rekease and mailwasher 6.54. with mailshield on can get  no mail nor with the browser. with mail shield unchecked scan incoming then it works.
any idea?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: mail washer and avast latest
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:22:59 AM »
As you can see from my signature I use MailWasher Pro (MWP) and no problem with avast and it, but your problem is more than just that. The latest MWP version is 2011 1.0.50 and avast has worked with previous versions.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it reconnect to the internet and try to collect your email, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Do the email accounts require SSL ?
- avast! 6.x: SSL Problems The Mail Shield may not scan some e-mails - see http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458.

The mail shield also covers MWP:
- Personally as a mailwasher pro user I have avast IgnoreProcess for MailWasherPro.exe. Since MailWasher doesn't download the complete email to do its analysis, it only downloads the headers, a small part of the body, it doesn't download images or attachments and it views what is downloaded in text only. Based on this I personally don't feel that any negligible risk worth scanning duplication, but the choice is yours.

By editing the EmailShield.ini file, [EmailScanner] section using notepad. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\EmailShield.ini Or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avast Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (depending on how you installed avast 6).

[EmailScanner]
IgnoreProcess=MailWasherPro.exe (confirm this is the correct executable)add this line if you don't already have an IgnoreProcess line.

Save the changes to EmailShield.ini and exit, the avast self-defence module will ask are you sure about the changes, etc. answer Yes.

The above file location is for XP so you might need to find it on Vista, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sded

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:23:57 AM »
What OS and version of Avast! are you using?  I just checked that Mailwasher Pro 6.5.4 retrieves mail as usual for me with mailshield set up as usual.  Are you scanning SSL or unencrypted mail?  Does Mailshield work OK with your email client, which is ?

jack_90125

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 01:55:38 AM »
6.0.1 avast. do not like new version of mailwasher.
just got done doing a clean install of avast. still does not work unless scan incoming is off.
comodo firewall and yes it has access.
also using seamonkey for email and same problem.
did the win 7 x64 sp1 so it may be related as it worked earlier with the betas of avast. tho did the upgrade to avast 6.1 via the program after the service pack and that seems to be when it started.
I see there isd now a place to put email address in avast and no matter what I use and none with ssl or ssl or ? it does not work. if I remove the email address it still does not work.
just odd and I seem to get those with out fail.
thanks

jack_90125

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 02:26:50 AM »
uninstalled again and re installed avast and now it works.
go figure

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 02:29:12 AM »
Everyone loves a good computer mystery (NOT) ;D

Anyway good that it is working now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security