Author Topic: Problem with Avast and Thunderbird  (Read 5196 times)

Young_River

Problem with Avast and Thunderbird
« on: September 11, 2004, 08:05:11 AM »
Hello,
I've a problem setting Avast in order to make it work with Thunberdird
I've been told that Thunderbird is supported by the Mail Wizard, nevertheless when I use the Mail Wizard it doesn't find any Thunderbird account even though I've three account with Thunderbird
Can you please help me ?

Thanks
Daniel

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Problem with Avast and Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 03:12:58 PM »
Hi Daniel, welcome to the forums.

visit the User's FAQ thread, it will give you a lot of useful advice.

Run the Mail Protection Wizard, make sure that Thunderbird is closed before running the Mail Protection Wizard. Also re-read the avast help file - Setting up the Mail Protection.

A search of these forums for Thunderbird will no doubt return many hit as this has been a previously discussed topic.

HTH David

Edit: Oops - You will have to set up Thunderbird manually, I was thinking Mozilla Mail - Manual setup is in the user faq and avast help file though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 03:39:02 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 03:26:43 PM »
I've been told that Thunderbird is supported by the Mail Wizard...

Daniel, I don't think so. I have some suggestions:

1. Try to read the help file about manual configuration the email protection or
    See 'FAQ' link on my signature and browse a little.

2. Search a little in the board for Thunderbird.

3. Wait for the next version (4.5) at the beggining of October when Thunderbird support will be available  ;)
The best things in life are free.

TG

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 07:27:41 PM »
    I have used Thunderbird with Avast and it works pretty well.. You need to manually modify the ini file in Avast directory and also in thunderbird add the entry for 127.0.0.1 for mail server and in username pass as follow - username#servername
     Good luck it works pretty well hope you will manage to configure.

Young_River

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 03:49:42 AM »
Thanks to everyone !
I've resolved my problem and Avast is working okay with Thunderbird
Since this may be of help for other Thunderbird users I'll tell what I've done to configure Avast

In Thunderbid I went to "View setting for ths account"
Then "server settings"
I changed my "server name" "pop.mail.comr" to 127.0.0.1
In the "user name" bar I added to my user name "young_river" the character # and the name of my pop server = young_river#pop.maill.com
I then went to the menu  Outgoing Server (SMTP)
There I changed my "server name" "smtp.mail.com" to 127.0.0.1
Then in the "user name" bar I added to my user name the character # and the name of my smtp server = young_river#smtp.mail.com

That's all
Thanks again

Daniel

parish

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 08:08:04 PM »
Unfortunately, that doesn't WFM as my ISP's SMTP server doesn't use/require authentication so I just put 127.0.0.1 for the server name and #<smtp_server_name> in the username field but now T-bird prompts me for a password for "user" #<smtp_server_name> and won't accept a null value (just clicking OK).

Anyone know how to get round this?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »
If your ISP SMTP server doesn't require authentication then just untick the My server requires authentication box.

You still require your username and the avast redirect settings (see image), username#mail.ispname.net, etc. in the Incoming Mail settings.

HTH David
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 08:39:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Negeltu

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 01:43:32 AM »
Hmm...  The avast mail wizard detected and configured my Thunderbird accounts.  The only problem I had was my outgoing smtp wasn't being scanned.  I fixed this by a little setting in the avast .ini file.  Had to do with my SMTP server not requiring a password...which it didn't.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 01:59:12 PM »
Had to do with my SMTP server not requiring a password... which it didn't.

Yeah, this occurs very often...
I use three different smtp servers and none of them has the same smtp authentication.
For one just #smtpname is enough. For other, I need user#smtpname. Some of them I need to let the password blank, for others, I need to fill it  :-\
The best things in life are free.