Author Topic: Avast v6 issues  (Read 18736 times)

radunn

Avast v6 issues
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »
Avast 6, after installing and rebooting the computer 2 or more times causes my system to lock up.  Several Start Up items no longer load along side of the clock; rendering the pc totally useless and I cannot even Shutdown/Restart properly; I have to press Reset.  This problem began after upgrading to six via the the Program Update; so I decided to download/install the full version (same problems).

I did Google research discovering SF.BIN to be an issue. I checked TaskMgr amd (sure enough) 2 entries of SF.BIN were listed; both consuming identical resources.  It takes about 2/3 reboots for this problem to occur.  I unistalled v6 with removal tool in Safe Mode; reinstalling v5.1.864; there are no issues whatsoever. 

Any ideas as to what's going on?  In advance thanks

sded

Re: Avast v6 issues
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:26:45 PM »
Need a little more information.  What OS and version (Free or?) of Avast! 6 are you using?  What is your firewall?  What other security software are/were you using before Avast! 5 and how did you uninstall it?  The SF.bin is the code emulation part of the avast and is downloaded or updated on virus definitions updates .  You may need to exclude Avast! from being monitored by your firewall or other security software because it keeps being recreated, but this may also indicate residue of previous security software has not been completely removed.

radunn

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:35:54 PM »
Need a little more information.  What OS and version (Free or?) of Avast! 6 are you using?  What is your firewall?  What other security software are/were you using before Avast! 5 and how did you uninstall it?  The SF.bin is the code emulation part of the avast and is downloaded or updated on virus definitions updates .  You may need to exclude Avast! from being monitored by your firewall or other security software because it keeps being recreated, but this may also indicate residue of previous security software has not been completely removed.

AV version (Avast Free)
Firewall: Zone Alarm Pro v8.0
Other security software (ran manually - currently installed);  SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes.  I uninstalled Avast 5 with Revo Uninstaller

sded

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
Was there another AV, perhaps preinstalled, prior to Avast! 5?  There have been some reports of problems with some versions of Zone Alarm, but one of the ZAP users will need to address that.

radunn

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 05:03:16 PM »
Was there another AV, perhaps preinstalled, prior to Avast! 5?  There have been some reports of problems with some versions of Zone Alarm, but one of the ZAP users will need to address that.

Prior to Avast! 5, AVG free 2010 was installed (worked fine).  Tried going to recent AVG 2011.  It was a disaster; it will not fully install; causes randoms system reboots before it's installed.  I just removed SpyBot

nightprowler

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »
I also have issues with avast 6 install , After installing version 6 my computer was completely locked up and the only program that would run was avast , zonealarm quit running , ctrl alt delete would not even work. uninstalled avast 6 and everything went back to normal , windows xp service pack 3  

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »
Prior to Avast! 5, AVG free 2010 was installed (worked fine).  Tried going to recent AVG 2011.  It was a disaster; it will not fully install; causes randoms system reboots before it's installed.

You should really make sure AVG is fully uninstalled. Lots of uninstaller tools here:

http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »

Prior to Avast! 5, AVG free 2010 was installed (worked fine).  Tried going to recent AVG 2011.  It was a disaster; it will not fully install; causes randoms system reboots before it's installed.  I just removed SpyBot
Here is avg's removal tool http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools.
Avg may have damaged avast so you might need to do a clean install of avast if a repair doesn't work.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
I also have issues with avast 6 install , After installing version 6 my computer was completely locked up and the only program that would run was avast , zonealarm quit running , ctrl alt delete would not even work. uninstalled avast 6 and everything went back to normal , windows xp service pack 3  
I believe there have been several problems with avast and zone alarm, try private firewall or online armor or outpost for better firewalls.

DennyM

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
I'm seeing the same issue on an XP SP3 system and it has ZoneAlarm 9.2.102.000 on it.  I also have two systems running Windows 7 SP1 (one 32 bit and one 64 bit) also running ZoneAlarm 9.2.102.000 with no problems.  I have uninstalled avast! 6 on the XP machine and reinstalled 5 and all is back to normal.

radunn

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »
I'm seeing the same issue on an XP SP3 system and it has ZoneAlarm 9.2.102.000 on it.  I also have two systems running Windows 7 SP1 (one 32 bit and one 64 bit) also running ZoneAlarm 9.2.102.000 with no problems.  I have uninstalled avast! 6 on the XP machine and reinstalled 5 and all is back to normal.

Interesting.. so all of your startup items don't load and system hangs/freezes, forcing a restart by pressing Reset? 

I'm continuing this post stating that I ran the AVG removal tool.  Avast! 5 is currently installed and I'm looking at Online Armor FW (free), as ZA might be the source of problem.  Should I remove Avast 5; retry 6?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:23:21 PM by radunn »

DennyM

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
I first installed 6 by doing a program update.  When my system rebooted I saw my desktop and icons but only the hardware removal and volume control icons in the systray.  The system just sat there and would do nothing (i.e. clicking on the start button did nothing and doing Alt-Ctrl-Del would not bring up the task manager).  I forced a power down and after seeing the problem a second time brought the system up in Safe Mode to uninstall avast! 6.  The system came back normally (without anti-virus of course).  I thought something may have gone wrong in the update to 6 so I downloaded the full install of 6 and when the system restarted I was in the same situation.  I again uninstalled 6 in safe mode and reinstalled 5 and have been running fine since.

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
I'm seeing the same issue on an XP SP3 system and it has ZoneAlarm 9.2.102.000 on it.  I also have two systems running Windows 7 SP1 (one 32 bit and one 64 bit) also running ZoneAlarm 9.2.102.000 with no problems.  I have uninstalled avast! 6 on the XP machine and reinstalled 5 and all is back to normal.

Interesting.. so all of your startup items don't load and system hangs/freezes, forcing a restart by pressing Reset? 

I'm continuing this post stating that I ran the AVG removal tool.  Avast! 5 is currently installed and I'm looking at Online Armor FW (free), as ZA might be the source of problem.  Should I remove Avast 5; retry 6?
Give up on ZoneAlarm and go for avast! V6.0.1000
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=71639.0

radunn

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 11:12:32 PM »

Give up on ZoneAlarm and go for avast! V6.0.1000
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=71639.0

What firewall is recommended?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »
The best things in life are free.