Author Topic: Avast v6 issues  (Read 18802 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast v6 issues
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »
A full memory dump captured at the moment of the freeze (e.g. via the Ctrl+ScrollLock key combination, as described here: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71) would be very helpful to resolve this issue.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

radunn

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 11:36:39 PM »
What firewall is recommended?
In my personal opinion:

Comodo
Online Armour
Outpost Firewall Free
Thank you.  I notice these are all free but apparently cooperate with Avast! ?.... good!  The replies seemed to have focused away from the topic of the firewall being the possible culprit.  Again thanks

radunn

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 11:46:43 PM »
A full memory dump captured at the moment of the freeze (e.g. via the Ctrl+ScrollLock key combination, as described here: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71) would be very helpful to resolve this issue.

Thanks
Vlk
Thanks for refocusing back to the origin.  I will print out this information, reinstall v6 and follow through as instructed.  Do you recommend changing firewalls at this time?

How do I upload the file?  I accessed the ftp but do not see where to upload it from.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:56:09 PM by radunn »

radunn

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

How do I upload file to ftp server?  Thanks

ArielX

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »
 I joined to mention that I'm also having serious lockup issues with the new Avast 6. It downloaded automatically yesterday, and when I rebooted my computer it froze up at the startup: nothing loaded, no firewall, no AV, no Spybot, my three essential startups. I could open Firefox, or anything; I would get a message after a few seconds that I might not have administrative privileges to do this asction--but I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR! So I uninstalled Avast 6, reinstalled it again, didn't need to reboot apparently--this time, no problems (I guess since I didn't have to reboot, for whatever reason). The day went by just fine. But then this morning, I turned on my computer, and the SAME THING HAPPENED. I've had to uninstall the damn thing AGAIN in order for anything to get working, and I had to do it by going into Safe Mode. Also, the Task Manager wouldn't open for me; apparently I didn't have "Administrative Privileges", again. I really hope this gets taken care of very, very soon, cuz I've been using Avast for years, literally, and I don't want to have to turn elsewhere for my AV needs.

So I've got Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (no SP 1 yet), boot up with Spybot Search & Destroy, Online Armor firewall. Plenty of RAM, plenty of HD space, plenty of everything.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 05:04:50 PM by ArielX »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »
I joined to mention that I'm also having serious lockup issues with the new Avast 6. It downloaded automatically yesterday, and when I rebooted my computer it froze up at the startup: nothing loaded, no firewall, no AV, no Spybot, my three essential startups. I could open Firefox, or anything; I would get a message after a few seconds that I might not have administrative privileges to do this asction--but I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR! So I uninstalled Avast 6, reinstalled it again, didn't need to reboot apparently--this time, no problems (I guess since I didn't have to reboot, for whatever reason). The day went by just fine. But then this morning, I turned on my computer, and the SAME THING HAPPENED. I've had to uninstall the damn thing AGAIN in order for anything to get working, and I had to do it by going into Safe Mode. Also, the Task Manager wouldn't open for me; apparently I didn't have "Administrative Privileges", again. I really hope this gets taken care of very, very soon, cuz I've been using Avast for years, literally, and I don't want to have to turn elsewhere for my AV needs.

So I've got Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (no SP 1 yet), boot up with Spybot Search & Destroy, Online Armor firewall. Plenty of RAM, plenty of HD space, plenty of everything.
Did you check to see if all instances of avast were allowed in online armor, you will have to exclude the two programs from each other as well.
Spybot is not a recommended program these day's, especially if your using tea timer which will have to be deactivated to run with avast.

radunn

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »

Welcome to the club; stick around!  That's exactly what happens... after initial installation (no reboot), it works fine.  Rebooting seems to activate the freezes, minimal startup items (system tray) etc.  Some replied that Zone Alarm might be the source but I see you use OA-FW and still have the issue with v6.

I started using Avast recently because AVG-2011 refuses to install; randomly reboots my pc before the installation completes.  To resolve the Avast issue I was told to acquire a memory dump (i'll post the procedure below) then upload the results via Avast's ftp server. (I'm awaiting instructions on 'how' to upload).  

How to invoke memory dump creation?

When asked to create a memory dump (usually because of hanged avast! program), please follow these instructions.

1. Open regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters and add a new DWORD value called "CrashOnCtrlScroll" (no quotation marks). Make its value 1 (one).
   2. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery settings, and make sure the machine is set to generate COMPLETE memory dump (in the Write Debugging Information section).
   3. Reboot the machine.
   4. When the computer restarts wait for the problem to occur.
   5. When the problem is simulated (i.e. the machine is "dead"), do the following: while holding down the _right_ CTRL key, press the SCROLL-LOCK key twice. This should cause the machine to "blue-screen", and start generating the dump.
   6. If the machine doesn't restart on its own (when the dump writing is complete), restart it.
   7. ZIP the file \windows\memory.dmp (try to name it uniquely) and upload it to the following ftp site: ftp.avast.com/incoming (note you don't have read access to the site, only write).

sded

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »
The upload server is ftp.avast.com/incoming.  If you don't already have an ftp program, FileZilla is very popular.  Just give it a name Avast! can recognize and post the name here.  And be patient while it transfers.  ;)

DennyM

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 02:49:08 AM »
Vlk:

It took two tries but a memory dump file can be found on ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Look for DennyM...

I reinstalled 6 using avast 5's update program feature and after getting the hang I uninstalled in safe mode and reinstalled 5.

Thanks,
Denny

DennyM

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 09:10:15 PM »
After reading http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73110.0 I did the upgrade to 6.0.1021 earlier today and my XP system has been running fine so far.

Thanks!

Ronp

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »
I also have had issues very similar to radunn and DennyM with my computer. Recently, I had changed the settings in Avast to automatically update the program and to shutdown the computer after scanning. This morning, (after Avast had scanned and turned off the computer last night), I started the computer. Similar to other users, my computer was practically useless. I could open the task manager but if I tried to open another program, the computer completely "locked up", "froze" and I had to force a power off.

I entered safe mode and modified the registry to get the memory dump which I will send in shortly. I then deleted Avast (which had updated itself to 6.0.1000) and installed 5.1.864 as radunn had done. I then updated Avast and all is operating as expected.

From what I understand of reading this forum, some of the code in the newer versions of Avast (6.0.1000) is not compatible with the Zonealarm firewall. I have used the Zonealarm firewall for many years and am very happy with it. I haven't updated the Avast program yet beyond 5.1.864 until the problem/incompatibility can be resolved.

I have installed Windows XP SP3, Zonealarm free firewall 7.0.483.000, and Spyware Terminator.

DennyM

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 04:01:56 AM »
Ronp:

Since I installed 6.0.1021 on March 8th I've had no further problems and I am running Zonealarm.   Subsequent to that 6.0.1035 was made available and has been running fine as well.  You can get it at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74149.0.

hey_girl77

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 07:37:41 AM »
I am also having problems with v6.  I've been using avast for over a year.  While doing a routinely update the program suggested that I update to a newer version.  After doing so I went to reboot my laptop and I was stuck in a continuous reboot loop.  My laptop would not even load XP.  I went into safe mode and removed avast.  After doing so my computer finally loaded XP.  I have XP Professional v.2002.  I don't have any of the programs mentioned in this tread.  This problem only happens on my laptop, my desktop had no problem with v6.  Anyone have any suggestions?

aspyder

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 09:12:08 PM »
Avast 6.0.1000 free
I had no problems with v5. and have been with Avast since v4. I know better than to do early updates BUT went from v5 to 6 anyway. My past beliefs about early updates have been confirmed. Wanting to play a game on the computer, Dr. Pills (non-Internet) Avast recommended in the Sandbox mode. I told it regular load. The ‘hourglass’ comes up shortly than goes out. No game. Try to reboot BUT can not shut down normally, can not ctrl-alt-delete and get Task manager. Other WinXP standard games won't start either. After reboot all seems to work until I try to start the game even in ‘sandbox mode', same results. If I disable Avast 6 the game starts and plays normally. When is the next update or what do I do until then? Where do I get a safe copy of the latest v5?

WinXP SP3 Home

aspyder

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 01:40:26 AM »
After 48 hours I guess no one knows/cares.

I no longer do either.

A computer is a tool, not a life and life is too short to worry about this silly computer crap and it's issues.

Uninstall, reinstall something else like AVG.

At worst Format C:

Thanks