Author Topic: WebRep Has Just Lit Up!  (Read 22774 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: WebRep Has Just Lit Up!
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
Yeah. It was up some hours ago. Now it's down. They seem to be working on it.

It's still working here.
Could be related to the location...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
When it is working... :P I see the selected icon on the colour I picked...

When I remove the exception for the cookie, the icon disappears, when I add it again, it comes back.

Again great for avast.com, but for sites that don't have an avast third party cookie, how is it possible for avast to track your activity, what would be called spyware (tracking cookie) in any other arena.

As you see from my image showing no avast cookie in ebay, see my so called vote for ebay.co.uk.
Do you not think it strange that I didn't select shopping ???
Do you not think it strange that I voted for Social/Hobby, News/Blog, IT/Download, because I didn't vote for those categories ???

I the webrep is meant to be smart enough to know where I have voted (incorrectly as it seems in these cases), you would think it would be smart enough not to throw up a screen with Cast Your Vote plastered over the top.

I appreciate that it is early days for the webrep, but I have to have confidence in its accuracy, which currently I do not.

In order to have any degree of confidence in it I have to know how it works and that means how to vote and how to tell if you have voted and that that vote is recorder accurately.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sded

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
Currently I am still getting the rating shown above when I use FF, no rating when I use IE-I guess that means it is down?  I tagged a site with categories no one else would use to make sure I could see my votes there, but obviously can't tell anything in general.  And If I vote again don't know whether it is ignored, added, or changes my previous vote?

hayc59

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2011, 07:30:11 PM »
Maybe when we vote its like a pool and its collective
rather than personal and shows a poll kinda vote?
Oh heck I dont know...just an idea

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »

Better don't smoke as much as your avatar. ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

hayc59

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »

Better don't smoke as much as your avatar. ;D

:-X :-X

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »
Currently I am still getting the rating shown above when I use FF, no rating when I use IE-I guess that means it is down?  I tagged a site with categories no one else would use to make sure I could see my votes there, but obviously can't tell anything in general.  And If I vote again don't know whether it is ignored, added, or changes my previous vote?

Which again what I'm banging on about if we don't know how it works, how can we possibly monitor it for accuracy in recording our votes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »
Which again what I'm banging on about if we don't know how it works, how can we possibly monitor it for accuracy in recording our votes.

The plain answer is: We can't. :-\

sded

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
I still haven't figured out what a user is supposed to do with the results or how one uses it to decide whether a site is malicious (as opposed to annoying (not liked better than yellow?) ) or not.  And how bad is yellow?  And why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings?  ;)  What is really lacking is an Operations Concept for the collection and evaluation of the data by Avast! and the subsequent utility to the user.  But we are still waiting to see what the Virus Lab will add.  Unable to evaluate it at this point, so no reason just to poke at it yet.  No basis to say "good enough"

Hally

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2011, 07:56:09 PM »
Hi David  :)

Yes but here I am still banging my head against this brick wall (and it is beginning to hurt) how are you able to tell that you have voted on a site ?

You would see the icons highlighted you voted for on the right side..!!
asyn

I was waiting for this as I already have an image prepared, see the image of my so called vote for avast.

You can be assured I didn't vote for shopping and didn't just vote for that and corporate, so there is something screwed up about this.

Web Rep gone Bonkers for me too  ???

Noticing the same oddities as you!
At One Point...
Wikipedia showed I'd rated it for a whole load of stuff that I Hadn't.
In fact... Hadn't even made a vote for Wikipedia up to then.
Went back a few minutes later and it was OK and I was able to make my vote.
But I've noticed it happening on other sites now.
And sometimes sites saying No Votes ... When I know they had votes earlier  ::)

Hally

hayc59

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »
Well..Well...maybe as I thought, WebRep maybe just a cool looking toy
that has 'no' relevance at all..what say you all?

Jack 1000

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »
I still haven't figured out what a user is supposed to do with the results or how one uses it to decide whether a site is malicious (as opposed to annoying (not liked better than yellow?) ) or not.  And how bad is yellow?  And why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings?  ;)  What is really lacking is an Operations Concept for the collection and evaluation of the data by Avast! and the subsequent utility to the user.  But we are still waiting to see what the Virus Lab will add.  Unable to evaluate it at this point, so no reason just to poke at it yet.  No basis to say "good enough"

I hear what you are saying.  It seems that Web Rep is just a statistical profile sample.  However, right now, there is no quality control over how different each of the colored ratings are.  And if Web Rep doesn't block bad sites, it's almost useless.  It must be noted in Avast's defense, that the database is extremely new and is going to take time to develop.

And what exactly will the virus lab add in terms of data or voting to Web-Rep?  Right now, I see this add-on as more of a gimmick than useful.  But again, it is early in development.

Jack

medway01

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2011, 08:30:22 PM »
Web reps working in firefox and IE for me, at least I know for sure it wasnt a dodgy install or some plugin I use in firefox stopping it working.
I noticed some of the ratings have gone so I guess I'm going to have to visit all those 'adult' sites and re-rate them again  ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2011, 08:32:57 PM »
...I guess I'm going to have to visit all those 'adult' sites and re-rate them again  ;D

It's a hard life... ;D

Hally

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »
Hi :)

Think If You Go To Fast For It...
Sometimes Web Rep is showing the rating for the last Website you rated rather than the website you're on.
Perhaps it's still to do with the server problem  ???
Maybe Web Rep still needs a bit more... Servers, RAM, Power, Umph, Whatever!  ::)

Hally
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:19:07 PM by Hally »