Author Topic: WebRep broken pictures?  (Read 14605 times)

fidmas

Re: WebRep broken pictures?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »
If k.u.r.t finds b.htm (copy of his file) created on my box, behaves funny on his, that'll confirm it.  Pictures embeded, as resources, in a dll may have to be distributed as real .png, .gif, .jpg files or linked to on some site, to keep Windows happy.  I haven't tried FF yet, but even if it works, we can't have a FF only WebRep.

We're still ignoring the security settings problem too.

k.u.r.t

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »
You got the right file mate. I have validated it against the W3C validator (0 Errors, 0 Warnings). So I presume this is a bug of IE. Interestingly enough I also use IE8 here on my end and it renders just fine...

Something is very strange here.  I renamed your ORIGINAL file to a.htm and it still fails.  I then opened it in Notepad and saved it as b.htm.  That works fine!  Try my b.htm and see if it fails on your system.  Oh yes, .txt -> .htm as before.
Both of your files show fine here. I am tempted to think that this might have something to do with your browser's cache rather than NTFS or what not. My point is that the content does get displayed if we use a DIV and it's background attribute to display the picture. Also I have been made aware of the fact that under certain circumstances IE cannot display images which do not have its weight and height defined explicitely (which is the case in the current HTML for the popup window). Try purging your cache and let's see whether that helps.

fidmas

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 02:48:41 PM »
Both of your files show fine here. I am tempted to think that this might have something to do with your browser's cache rather than NTFS or what not. My point is that the content does get displayed if we use a DIV and it's background attribute to display the picture. Also I have been made aware of the fact that under certain circumstances IE cannot display images which do not have its weight and height defined explicitly (which is the case in the current HTML for the popup window). Try purging your cache and let's see whether that helps.

I always suspect cache and run CCleaner to clear cache and cookies between tests,  When you saved my b.txt, did you "Right-Click > Save Target as..."?  If you Left-Clicked it, let IE display it, and then "File > Save as...", NTFS would mark it as created on your machine and prove nothing.

I'm also aware of the IE8 explicit dimension problem, but the fact remains that when I remove the NTFS Stream info from your file, it displays perfectly.

I'm not arguing.  Just puzzled.

I'm attaching b.txt (htm) again, because I, for one, am getting confused scrolling back up this thread.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:51:26 PM by fidmas »

Onix

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:21:00 PM by Onix »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »
Sorry, if you want, i'll create a new topic.

Please do so. :)
Thanks,
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

k.u.r.t

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 03:24:39 PM »
OK mate,
I don't see much point investigating the cause any further when we in fact have a solution that we can use. Please try the attached file and let me know if that works for you so that I can add it to the next program update. Cheers.

fidmas

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »
OK mate,
I don't see much point investigating the cause any further when we in fact have a solution that we can use. Please try the attached file and let me know if that works for you so that I can add it to the next program update. Cheers.

Works like a charm.  Good work!

Now, any thoughts on the "Mixed Content" problem?  That's the only thing left, I know of, that's keeping me from enabling the WebRep feature.

Cool job. :-)

/Bob
--

k.u.r.t

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »
Thank you for your help! Regarding the second issue: I have tried it on IE8/Win7. When I set mixed content to "Enable" and then go to https://encrypted.google.com and serach for something it does not display any alerts. Will keep you posted if our QA team manage to reproduce this on one of their test boxes.

fidmas

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
Nothing's ever simple. :-(  If I enable the addon, and go to that site, I have to click [No] twice at the attached popup.

fidmas

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »
Just FYI: I tried enabling "Display Mixed Content" in the Group Policy Editor too.  Same results.

fidmas

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 12:52:52 AM »
I don't know much about Fiddler from https://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/ but just using it to watch assesss to https://encrypted.google.com shows quite clearly where the mixed content is coming from.  See attachment.  Still doesn't explain why IE didn't ignore it though when I set [Enable].

Maybe some one can make more sense of it.

k.u.r.t

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »
Obviously we need to retrieve the webrep info somehow and we do it over an http channel. However we were not able to reproduce the behaviour you describe. On all systems that we tested the message stopped showing as soon as we changed the settings from prompt to enable. As this is an IE issue you should consult it with Microsoft. We cannot be of much help anyway.

fidmas

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »
you should consult it with Microsoft.

:-)  You gotta be kidding.  Talk to MS? /-)  The FF addon seems to work OK.  I just disabled it in IE.  My neighbow will be updating to avast6 soon.  We'll see how their IE likes it.

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 11:36:35 PM »
You gotta be kidding.  Talk to MS? /-) 
+1
Impossible...
The best things in life are free.

fidmas

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 11:11:40 PM »
However we were not able to reproduce the behaviour you describe. On all systems that we tested the message stopped showing as soon as we changed the settings from prompt to enable.

No need to answer this, but I just created a VPC with a fresh IE8 and Avast8.  Same behaviour.  Strange.