Author Topic: Script Shield is not working?  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Script Shield is not working?
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:13:31 AM »
Hello When i updated to IE9 the script shield died. it hasn't been scanning nothing as i surf the web. I did a repair that didn't work. I did a reinstall of avast and that didn't work..  What is going on with it?
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Re: Script Shield is not working?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:40:19 AM »
Is there any way i can make the Script Shield work again? ???
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »
I noticed that also.

Script Shield is not working on Free Version.

Also that under real time shields log has no result.
Ex: File system, mail shield.. etc.

Is the Shield log will only have a result if it detects something?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:37:17 AM by chubalz »
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

MAG

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
The script shield doesn't work with IE9 RC it appears.

It is working overall though for non-browser scripts - try opening windows media player for instance.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 04:02:49 PM »
Working fine for me and Windows Media Player is working fine as well.

MAG

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »
Is the script shield activity shown in your snip from IE9 activity (under real time shields avast tells you what program ran the last script scanned)?

The only script shield activity I see is from non-browser scripts - such as those run by WMP.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:40:35 PM by mag »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:43:33 PM »
Mine only shows some activity if i open media player, no activity with ie9.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:48:17 PM »
Is the script shield activity shown in your snip from IE9 activity (under real time shields avast tells you what program ran the last script scanned)?

The only script shield activity I see is from non-browser scripts - such as those run by WMP.

Unfortunately there are no expert settings in the script shield so there is no way to access something like the Report generation settings and you could then have it record OK files (for troubleshooting as the file would get very large), etc. so you would see what it was scanning in the actual C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report\ScriptShield.txt report file.

Currently it is as much use as a chocolate ashtray reporting only when it started and stopped, of course if it actually detected something I believe that would be recorded. But that doesn't show if your browser is actually supported and scripts being scanned. On that note, you don't say what your browser is ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MAG

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:00:57 PM »

Unfortunately there are no expert settings in the script shield so there is no way to access something like the Report generation settings and you could then have it record OK files (for troubleshooting as the file would get very large), etc. so you would see what it was scanning in the actual C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report\ScriptShield.txt report file.

Currently it is as much use as a chocolate ashtray reporting only when it started and stopped, of course if it actually detected something I believe that would be recorded. But that doesn't show if your browser is actually supported and scripts being scanned. On that note, you don't say what your browser is ?

If you look at the script shield in the GUI it tells you what program ran the last script scanned - see attached snip.

I was trying to establish whether Kenny has ever seen this program reported as being IE9.

I have never seen any script shield activity on my 64 bit system that I could attribute to any browser (FF, Chrome, or IE (32 bit or 64 bit). There is some script shield activity associated with other programs, such as WMP

The only browser I expected it to work for was IE 32 bit. Since it doesn't I am trying to figure out if that is because I am running IE9 RC 32 bit rather than IE8 32 bit, or if in fact script shield just doesn't run on any browser in 64 bit operating systems at present.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:02:45 PM by mag »

street_lethal

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »

It is working overall though for non-browser scripts - try opening windows media player for instance.

I opened media player and the script shield worked for the first time for me. I use Firefox w/Noscript 100% of the time which is why I haven't seen it do anything since I installed Avast 6. It doesn't support Firefox from what I understand.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
@ mag
Yes, but unless you always leave the avast UI open at that page and sit watching that last scanned file you don't have a lot to check back on.

For the most part it will be scanning hard disk based scripts; since the script shield of old only monitored three browsers IE, Mozilla (not firefox) & Netscape; IE being the only one in popular current use. Though there are moves afoot to include Firefox and presumably Chrome in time.

That is why it would be nice to be able to check in a log rather than spend hours screen watching to see if it is monitoring your browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
I was trying to establish whether Kenny has ever seen this program reported as being IE9.
That was IE9 on Windows 7.

This is with IE8 on my XP Pro system.