Author Topic: Webrep and sandboxie in Firefox  (Read 7037 times)

Offline -Genesis-

Webrep and sandboxie in Firefox
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:09:02 AM »
Anyone having problem running both in Firefox?
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Mo0nwalker

Re: Webrep and sandboxie in Firefox
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 02:19:39 AM »
Is it recomended to have both Webrep and Sandboxie? Arent they pretty much the same? Doesn`t Avast 6 free have its own Sandbox?

Just curious.

Webrep works fine but I don`t have sandboxie, so wouldn`t know about that  :-\

doktornotor

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:23:42 AM »
Is it recomended to have both Webrep and Sandboxie? Arent they pretty much the same?

No, they are completely different. WebRep = website reputation rating (like WOT, SiteAdvisor or whatever), has nothing to do with sandboxing. (Avast Free has just autosandbox which cannot be compared w/ Sandboxie at all featurewise.)

Mo0nwalker

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 02:27:19 AM »
So getting Sandboxie should be good then?

Does that mean it will conflict, or that I will have to turn off Avast! autosandbox?

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:31:07 AM »
Autosandbox in avast will only run if a suspicious program detected by avast.

Sandboxie is completely virtual by enable firefox to be fully virtualized in sandboxie settings.

Btw. I even disable the add ons but the FF is crashing.

Added.

Based on my experience i have encounter with avast autosandbox.

It will only activated if a program is suspicious.

On default Firefox is already excluded in filesystem shield which is autosandbox rely on it... I say this because one of the game im playing is detected as suspicious and autosandbox always poping up.

I did try excluding on autosandbox setting but it still detecting suspicious.

What i did is excluding the game on filesystem shield and no more suspicious detected.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:41:28 AM by chubalz »
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

mokkaman

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:03:50 AM »
if u want more security u can use google chrome which has built in sandbox else u can try sandboxie free if avast sandbox doesnt work for u.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 03:22:23 AM »
Im using sandboxie.

I have chrome and run also by sandboxie.

Note: Chrome is not conflicting with sandboxie even it has a built in sandbox.

Im pretty sure its Webrep is the cause because Chrome is not crashing which is automatically run by sandboxie which avast has no webrep yet to chrome.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:35:23 AM by chubalz »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 04:08:29 AM »
if u want more security u can use google chrome which has built in sandbox else u can try sandboxie free if avast sandbox doesnt work for u.

Google Chrome doesn't have a true sandbox, basically it isolates the tabs so that should one tab crash it doesn't bring down other tabs/the browser.

So it isn't a sandbox in the true sense of the word in isolating the program from the system, so isn't really any additional security measure.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:49:13 AM »
Google Chrome doesn't have a true sandbox, basically it isolates the tabs so that should one tab crash it doesn't bring down other tabs/the browser.
So it isn't a sandbox in the true sense of the word in isolating the program from the system, so isn't really any additional security measure.

This is incorrect information. Security is the key aim of Chrome sandbox, as discussed e.g. here:

A new approach to browser security: the Google Chrome Sandbox
Rolling out a sandbox for Adobe Flash Player
Playing in the Chrome Sandbox
The Chrome Sandbox Part 1 of 3: Overview <-- highly recommend this one)
The Chrome Sandbox Part 2 of 3: The IPC Framework
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:00:21 AM by doktornotor »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »
Well from your first link.
What are the limitations?

As we said earlier, the sandbox itself is not a new security model; it relies on Windows to achieve its security. Therefore, it is impossible for us to prevent against a flaw in the OS security model itself. In addition, some legacy file systems, like FAT32, used on certain computers and USB keys don't support security descriptors. Files on these devices can't be protected by the sandbox. Finally, some third party vendors mistakenly configure files, registry keys and other objects in a way that bypasses the access check, giving everyone on the machine full access on them. Unfortunately, it's impossible for the sandbox to protect most of these misconfigured resources.

So whilst it is better than I have been led to believe, it I would say doesn't achieve what I would consider the definition of a sandbox and that it to completely isolate it from the system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »
We've had this debate before, AFAICT. You seem to have some persistent misconceptions about Chrome sandbox (such as the one documented by "basically it isolates the tabs so that should one tab crash it doesn't bring down other tabs/the browser" - this claim is manifestly false). Once again, read this article to get a basic grip of the Chrome sandbox concept. Has nothing to do with tabs, obviously.

mokkaman

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 01:58:19 AM »
in the browser hack contest (pwn2own) held every year, chrome has never been hacked for the past four years. also google offers 20 dollars to anyone who finds security flaw in chrome.thus whether it provides actual sandbox or tabbed sandbox, its the best security for a browser till date

http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/26
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/71784.html