Author Topic: WMP 11 black to red after upgrade from Avast 5 to 6  (Read 77014 times)

2nd base

Re: WMP 11 black to red after upgrade from Avast 5 to 6
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2011, 07:13:10 AM »
It's the scripting engine. Cripes, I said that months ago. There's nothing wrong with WMP, per se. It was perfectly fine before avast started conforming to the activity and practice of Google's questionable methods.
With more folks moving to windows 7 and IE9 which has anti tracking unlike the sneaky Chrome browser ( which exists only because of Microsoft's move back on ie7 up until now w/ ie9, btw), I don't see that folks will have to worry about it much longer if they're smart.
The problem exists for those who have taken other precautions against marketing strategies that vary. avast is certainly quickly becoming a fanboy type software that even comes complete with a like button last I heard.
I cannot believe that avast swears they don't know what the issue is when it's clear that it's a product of their new found ideology.
I've removed the software from almost a hundred computers already and will continue to recommend that action to those who move onto windows 7 along with IE9. Which blows away chrome based on principle alone, btw.

Not really my opinion. I've used avast! since waaayyyy back and a virus has never once infected my computer. Never. The system always ran perfectly too. I see computers that still run well also and those folks are quite happy to be able to use the internet smoothly.

Opinion noted.  Move on to 3rd base, then home plate, through the dugout, then kindly exit the stadium.  Enjoy MSE. :D

LorenzoC

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
@pk:
"would it be possible to connect to your system? E.g. do a private remote session (e.g. LogMeIn, TeamViewer, VNC, ...)"

I can't because I should reconfigure the network but I could provide "zipped" copies of directories/files if you tell me what you need.

Offline avragorn

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
@pk:
"would it be possible to connect to your system? E.g. do a private remote session (e.g. LogMeIn, TeamViewer, VNC, ...)"

I can't because I should reconfigure the network but I could provide "zipped" copies of directories/files if you tell me what you need.

Same as me, if you need zipped folders, ... feel free to ask.
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2011, 01:52:55 PM »
I'm afraid ZIPped folders are mostly useless for us.

xxiinophobia

« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
I recently had this very issue after upgrading to Avast 6, but I just got it resolved.

Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, US English version
Windows Media Player 11.0.5721.5280
Avast 6.0.1091

Resolution

Download the MicroSoft FixIt tool Mats_Run.WinMediaPlayer.exe per amladen's post on Page 1:

Hey,

I fixed it! :) Go to http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic/ and click "Run now" to automatically repair Windows Media Player!

I hope it will work for you, also!

Right-Click Avast 6's system tray icon, select avast! shields control and then Disable for 10 minutes

If you've tried to run the FixIt tool previously and it failed to start, try disabling the avast shields first.

Run the FixIt tool

It will ask you if you want an automatic fix, or a manual type where you select the fixes to apply. I did manual, but ended up running all the fixes anyway.

When FixIt completes, click Finish to close it, then run WMP to confirm its condition

If WMP is back to its normal color (and you may want to confirm the Color Changer works again), you can right-click avast! systray icon, select avast! shields control, and then Enable all shields.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:31:08 PM by xxiinophobia »

LorenzoC

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
Thanks for the hints.
I already knew FixIt could patch WMP.
But IMO if uninstalling AVAST Script Shield reverts WMP to its normal condition, then there is nothing that needs to be "repaired" in WMP. And at this point I find a bit difficult to believe people at AVAST have no idea of what the issue may be.

On a side note: the above system is US English...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:10:12 PM by LorenzoC »

xxiinophobia

« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Looking at my post again, I failed to emphasize what my main point was:

It is possible to re-enable and continue to use Script Shield after applying the MS patch without WMP turning red. After I did the above, I turned all the shields back on and ran WMP again and it was still its normal color.

However (and this didn't occur to me until well after), I did not think to restart the computer and run WMP to make sure the changes stick after a reboot. I'm at work right now so I'll try to remember to do this when I get home.

LorenzoC

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2011, 07:44:46 PM »
I would start from looking at how WMP changes and stores its UI settings.
In fact, not only it gets "red" but the whole tool for changing color and/or to reset to default is not working.
Now, I would understand if the Script Shield blocks something and alerts.
A "false positive".
But it stays silent, yet apparently it forbids WMP to read/write in some place.

Also interesting would be to know what checks FixIt performs and what corrections it makes.
You said you disabled Script Shield, that should NOT change anything.
So my first guess is FixIt somehow sees the default WMP UI settings are wrong/disabled/not acessible and stores them somewhere else. Or changes permission.
I don't know, to guess one should know how the Script Shield operates and/or what changes are made upon install and rolled back upon uninstall.

xtinguish

« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
Windows fixit did not work for me and media player stayed red so I had to uninstall script shield. Fixit also did not work with script shield uninstalled, presumably because there was nothing wrong with media player until script shield was running.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:54:49 PM by xtinguish »

LorenzoC

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
@xtinguish
Did you try FixIt with Script Shield enabled or disabled?

Anyway, I insist if unistalling Script Shield fixes the issue, then there isn't anything wrong in WMP. Apparently it is just a problem with writing/reading the UI seetings.

Offline avragorn

« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2011, 08:14:43 PM »
Windows FIXIT doesn't work on my computer, when I launch the program, it says "this program is not for your computer" ... :(
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

hayc59

« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
I have been following this thread a little
bit and was wondering why not just
dump Windows Media Player and grab
something like...I dont know more robust
prettier...more features like AIMP v3.00?
http://aimp.ru/index.php

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »
Well that isn't a solution to the problem (for those who wish to retain WMP, not me), but an avoidance of the issue, which solves nothing.

What I can't get my head around is the reluctance to take advantage of one of the developers request to remote connect to try and gain the information that may help all those who are experiencing the problem.

As has been said they haven't been able to replicate the problem, despite the varied test systems that they have and the fact that this isn't effecting every user.

Inconsistent problems like this really are very difficult to pin down as the system and application permutations must be massive. Whilst uninstalling the script shield is a workaround to the problem and indicates some sort of conflict with the script shield, what it doesn't do is to identify the other element in the conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LorenzoC

« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »
@hayc59
Dude, it is like I throw a stone in your car's windshield then some genius comes and says "I was wandering why not just dump that XYZ car and grab something more robust and prettier".

@DavidR
"What I can't get my head around is the reluctance to take advantage of one of the developers request"
It seems tonight there is a contest here.
First of all, there isn't any "advantage" to take.
Then 99% people don't know what you are speaking of when you say "remote session" or "VNC".
Finally those few who know it must be connected to the Internet in a way that allows that sort of things, which is not my case unless I put some relatively massive effort.
And from my personal point of view there are much easier options like living with the partially disabled WMP, uninstalling the script shield, trying the FixIt patching or even dump AVAST all together.

Yes, it is all my fault.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:54:22 PM by LorenzoC »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
1. If there is no advantage and you are happy to live with it, why bother to post. The advantage for me is obvious, to help avast find the source of the problem which they can't replicate. If this helps to pin down the problem and resolve it then it helps you and any other avast users with the problem.

2. To have one of the avast developers do a private remote connection to your computer (not a personal house call). In theory you can do this on any connection, but any broadband would be preferable.

3. I don't know what this massive effort is that you are talking about, bit from my knowledge of it, you would have to download an install a program like LogMeIn. Who ever agrees to do it would no doubt be given help in setting it up, by all accounts it isn't too complex.

4. No one is saying it is your fault.
You are just one who has asked for it to be resolved, yet no one is queuing up to assist PK gather the information, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72405.msg633917#msg633917.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security