Author Topic: WMP 11 black to red after upgrade from Avast 5 to 6  (Read 76621 times)

YoKenny

Re: WMP 11 black to red after upgrade from Avast 5 to 6
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »
I had reported this issue during beta testing here on the forums but you know the drill. The old  "It works on my computer" speak.......
I use Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 and it has no problem.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/windows-media-player-12

bhersha

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 08:09:54 PM »
i've got exactly the same problem that WAB and amladen since upgrading avast version from 5 to 6, wmp11 changed from black to red and no way to change it :'( this cant be a coincidence...

will there be soon a solution or upgrade from avast to correct that? pleaaaaaaaase

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

XP Pro SP3, AMD Athlon XP2400+, 1.5GB.

I’ve got exactly the same problem that gizmo43 and amladen have since upgrading avast version from 5 to 6, wmp11 changed from black to red and no way to change it back. I tried the "fix" link to MSN only to have the repair program error out so no luck there. I have two xp pro boxes with one affected and one not -- got figure-- I'm open to any other solutions that may have been found.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

xtinguish

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 01:45:40 PM »
Temporary remedy is to go to  skin chooser and change skins (I chose revert skin) and apply skin. Exit and close media player, then start media player again which will open in original colour and all options to change colour etc. work ok again. Unfortunately, You will have to do this every time you open media player.

bhersha

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 02:39:06 AM »
"Tech" your link kinda lost me as to what you trying to convey as it didn't seem to relate to my on going issue with WMP 11 and Avast. "xtinguish" thanks for the input. I definitely have went that route a few time too but it gets real old fast having to jump though all those hoops to get to what should be a standard (or was a standard feature in WMP 11).I will say on behalf of Avast, I have used there software from the beginning and personally think it really good. I just wish they would fix this on going issue.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 02:54:40 AM »
"Tech" your link kinda lost me as to what you trying to convey as it didn't seem to relate to my on going issue with WMP 11 and Avast.
No, it's not. Sorry. Just trying to point out a screenshot problem.
I can't reproduce the problem in my computer, but I have version 12.

bhersha

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 03:02:35 AM »
OK cool, I'm pretty new to using forums so forgive me if I get confused. It's easy to get lost here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 03:26:10 AM »
OK cool, I'm pretty new to using forums so forgive me if I get confused. It's easy to get lost here.
Never mind. You can learn.
Welcome to forums.
Sorry if I can't help more.

Oracle

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »
Exact same issue here - WMP 11 turned red after installation of Avast 6 (free version).

Microsoft FixIt tool reports broken library and appears to resolve the issue.

System specs:
XP Pro SP3,
AMD Athlon XP2400+,
1 GB RAM,
Video ATI HD2600 AGP on AMD Catalyst 11.2

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Libero

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »
Hello!

I would like to share my experiences:

I had the same problem (Win Xp Pro SP3 Hungarian, AMD Athlon 2500+, 2GB RAM):

1. After I updated Avast to v6 from v5, WMP11's color went to red.
2. I unistalled Avast (v6), then I made a clean install to Avast 6. After that, WMP11 didn't work at all!
3. I Uninstalled Avast 6 again. I installed Avast 5. WMP11 works perfectly now.

I'll give a try for the new v6 build, when I get home today.

bhersha

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 02:52:43 AM »
Microsoft FixIt tool reports broken library and appears to resolve the issue.

"Oracle" Can you post a hyperlink to "Microsoft FixIt tool". I'm willing to give it a go and see if I can get the same results. "Asyn" thanks for the link. If I can't get the hyperlink then I may just go the route of installing the Pre-release version of avast[6.0.1021].

Oracle

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
"Oracle" Can you post a hyperlink to "Microsoft FixIt tool"...
It's already present in this topic.
Here you are: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic/
Click "Run now".

bhersha

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 02:33:55 AM »
It's already present in this topic.
Here you are: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic/
Click "Run now".

Oh,OK that's cool,I thought maybe it was a different site.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 04:46:53 AM »
I'd just like to say that I "think" I have the same problem.

I just realized today that my WMP was red on my desktop system.  It's not on my laptop or my wife's laptop though.  All version 6 of avast.

I had thought that I just changed the color and forgot that I did it (I don't use that computer very often).

I'm not really worried about it though, I could care less what color the media player is.  I listen to music with Winamp or via the web, and if I'm watching a video, it's usually full screen.

So, for any other Evangelists that say "It works fine for me", this isn't just user error.

However, I do think that my desktop was the only one that I didn't do a clean install of Avast on, I'm pretty sure I just did an upgrade from 5.x to 6.  That might have something to do with it.

Actually, I don't even see how Avast has anything to do with this, but I guess since people are saying that it changed after their avast upgrade that it's highly suspect.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum