Author Topic: WMP 11 black to red after upgrade from Avast 5 to 6  (Read 76627 times)

Libero

Re: WMP 11 black to red after upgrade from Avast 5 to 6
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »
I tried this http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73110.0 new v6 build on a XP SP3 virtual machine. WMP11 worked only in red. When I started Windows with Diagnostic Startup, WMP11 worked normally. After I re-enabled Avast, color of WMP11 changed to red.
This means that not Avast setup makes ie. faulty entries in Registry but running of Avast (AvastSvc.exe) blocks WMP11's color settings/color chooser mechanism.

tli

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »
Encountering same problem, with WMP 11 becoming red, after Avast Free update from version 5 to 6, on a laptop and two desktops running WinXPx86-SP3.  However, all seems normal on a Win7Ux64-SP1 desktop with WMP 12 after the Avast update.  Tried the couple of suggested 'fixes' in this thread but unsuccessful in reverting back to the original black.

xtinguish

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »
Red colour of media player is definitely a problem caused by Avast 6 as reverting to Avast 5 puts media player back to normal with access to all colour controls. Note: this only seems to affect Windows XP Home with SP3.

pepe2

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »
Same problem here. Updated from v5 to v6 on my XP SP3 machine and got the red WMP instead of the default black one. Can't change it back. Disabling Avast has no effect and the MS Fix it just gives me an error after installation and doesn't run at all.
Please fix this issue. It's really annoying.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 08:22:07 PM »
I know this is no fix for this problem...
...but some of you might consider using VLC instead of WMP... ;)
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

xtinguish

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 12:27:52 AM »
It's not just the fact that the colour changes to red, but it also locks some of the user controls as well and the Microsoft fixit reports a broken library but does not always fix the problem. The new beta also does not address this problem and there are now quite a few serious flaws with Avast 6 which do not make it a stable release.  If these are not sorted out soon, a lot more users who are losing faith in Avast 6 will be forced to go back to Avast 5.

YoKenny

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 12:41:35 AM »
Same problem here. Updated from v5 to v6 on my XP SP3 machine and got the red WMP instead of the default black one. Can't change it back. Disabling Avast has no effect and the MS Fix it just gives me an error after installation and doesn't run at all.
It depends on your XP theme.

Right click the Desktop then Properties then try Windows Classic theme.

VanguardLH

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »
Avast 6 (free)
Windows XP Pro SP-3
Windows Media Player 11

I'm also lending another vote against Avast 6 because of it screwing up Windows Media Player (WMP).  I encountered small problems in the use of my host (and not just with WMP) which I did not attribute to Avast.  When I noticed the red frame color in WMP then I started to investigate.  I learned of the Color Chooser (never used it before) but it is disabled.  Moving the top slider (color) makes no change.  The drag bar isn't present in the bottom slider (gamma) until I click there but moving it also effects no change.  Clicking on Reset does nothing.  Try to click on the Presets to cycle through them does nothing. 

Disabling all shields in Avast does not correct the problem.  Rebooting into Windows' Safe Mode won't help because WMP won't load in safe mode.  I uninstalled Avast 6 and the problem goes away.  I then reinstalled with a minimal set of shields (File, Web, Network, and Script - and no others) in a custom install trying to reduce Avast's footprint but the red frame problem reappeared after the install completed.

Think about it.  Avast is interferring with a color selection in an application.  That's hardly anything dealing with malicious behavior.  I've seen anomalies in other programs that didn't make sense until I realized they showed up after the upgrade to v6 of Avast.  With Avast interferring with apps regarding behavior that has nothing to do with malicious behavior or even dangerous behavior, I just don't trust Avast anymore.  I've been using this product for years but the changes they made in 5.1.889 and now in 6 just don't warrant its use on my hosts anymore.

xtinguish

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2011, 10:54:45 AM »
Tried Windows Classic Theme and media player problem still exists. I can temporarily get round the problem by going to skin chooser and selecting revert skin and then apply skin. Shut down media player, then reopen it and colour is back to normal and all controls work again. Unfortunately, as soon as you next close wmp the problem is back again until you perform the above process yet again. Now noticing other problems with Avast 6 so am uninstalling it as have lost all confidence in whether or not it is actually protecting my system.

pepe2

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »
It depends on your XP theme.

Right click the Desktop then Properties then try Windows Classic theme.

Thanks for trying to help, but no that doesn't help. WMP is still and remains red.

pepe2

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 06:08:54 PM »
Can the Avast devs reproduce this behavior and possibly patch it?

xtinguish

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »
Doesn't seem to be any response from Avast devs so presumably it's either live with the problem or uninstal Avast 6.

YoKenny

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 12:19:41 AM »
*push*
It sure would help if you updated your PROFILE with pertinent system information.

Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

Oracle

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 11:05:29 PM »
The red frame of WMP is not a critical issue by itself. However, it's an indication that something in Avast 6 is not working properly and may cause other programs and features to malfunction.

It appears that the problem affects systems with Win XP SP3, running on older AMD processors. Is everyone with this problem using an ATi video card?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 02:57:20 AM »
The red frame of WMP is not a critical issue by itself. However, it's an indication that something in Avast 6 is not working properly and may cause other programs and features to malfunction.

It appears that the problem affects systems with Win XP SP3, running on older AMD processors. Is everyone with this problem using an ATi video card?

I have XP SP3 and an older AMD proc, but I have an nVidia Quadro FX vid card (3000 I think).  So, might be more because of AMD and XP SP3.  Anyone running a cracked version of XP?  I am, and I'm not condoning it, but I purchased XP and the CD got scratched and I lost the key as well.  So, I run a cracked version now even though I could download a retail version with my technet plus subscription at any time.  Anyway, I paid for it so I don't care.  I can run up to 10 installs of any MS product if I want.  Just saying that it might have something to do with this WMP color prob.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum