Author Topic: WMP 11 black to red after upgrade from Avast 5 to 6  (Read 76623 times)

tli

Re: WMP 11 black to red after upgrade from Avast 5 to 6
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:16 AM »

It appears that the problem affects systems with Win XP SP3, running on older AMD processors. Is everyone with this problem using an ATi video card?

All my affected machines are Intel CPU based; while only one uses ATI video and the rest are non-ATI.

tli

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 04:09:53 AM »
...  Anyone running a cracked version of XP?  ...

Nope, all legit copies of WinXP on the affected machines.

xtinguish

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 12:19:19 PM »
Same here. Legit Win XP Home SP3. Avast 5 fine, but Avast 6 causes probs with Media Player colour (red) and controls. Reverting to Avast 5 immediately returns Media Player to normal operation.

pepe2

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »
System Specs: Athlon XP 2600+ with Geforce 7600GT and a legit copy of WinXP SP3.
Hope, this issue gets resolved soon.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 05:07:35 AM »
Try this: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74149.0
asyn

meh, don't care enough to try.  Just like you suggested, (or at least I think it was you) just use VLC instead.  'Nuff said.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

LorenzoC

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »
I am having the same issue on my WinXP Home SP3.
WIndows Media Player is red and I cannot change the color setting.

I've tried to unistall Windows Media Player and re-install it (plus 4 critical updates that came with it) but the problem remains. Upon uninstalling v.11 , the system made a rollback to Windows Media Player 9 and color setting worked correctly with it.

xtinguish

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »
Best idea is to go back to Avast 5 until the numerous problems with Avast 6 have been resolved. It was exactly the same when Avast 5 was released and it was some time before a stable release became available.  We are always going to have this sort of thing with new releases and it's much better to wait awhile rather than risk system problems unless you are a tech of course.

RegHacker

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2011, 12:25:01 AM »
The red frame of WMP is not a critical issue by itself. However, it's an indication that something in Avast 6 is not working properly and may cause other programs and features to malfunction.

It appears that the problem affects systems with Win XP SP3, running on older AMD processors. Is everyone with this problem using an ATi video card?

I have XP SP3 and an older AMD proc, but I have an nVidia Quadro FX vid card (3000 I think).  So, might be more because of AMD and XP SP3.  Anyone running a cracked version of XP?  I am, and I'm not condoning it, but I purchased XP and the CD got scratched and I lost the key as well.  So, I run a cracked version now even though I could download a retail version with my technet plus subscription at any time.  Anyway, I paid for it so I don't care.  I can run up to 10 installs of any MS product if I want.  Just saying that it might have something to do with this WMP color prob.
OK, I know of a serious problem with AV6 vs. AV5 pertaining to the security settings in the registry.

When I installed AV6 on my AMD XP Pro SP2+all patches so far with an ASUS Graphics card that uses ATI in their drivers, the following 3 things happened:
1. Media player's background went all the way over to the red shade color.
2. I could not search in the explorer windows.  The pane came up blank.
3. I could no longer see .png files in my browser.
I WAS RUNNING AS A REGULAR USER, NOT THE ADMIN (Like Vista wants you to run).
I Uninstalled Avast 6 and reinstalled 5 and problems 1 and 2 went away, but I still had problem 3 for my regular user accounts.

So I tried some registry fixes that try to update some of the keys and I found this:
"The user (or group) has to have permission to read the Registry Key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Mime\Database\Content Type"

I noticed that the registry security settings on some entries were set so that there was no Everyone setting anymore.  That means that when users (not admins) try to access the registry to determine things such as the proper handler class for .png images or MAYBE for the color of the media player's background, they can not open the registry entry anymore to determine the previously saved values.

So, I selected the key, pulled down edit...security and gave read writes to that user and the .png problem went away.

I have not determined if this is the problem with the red backgound yet because I am back to avast 5 and need to use my machine, not debug it, but if someone from Avast cares to experiment, this may lead to a fix for the problem.

I can imagine that Avast 6 tightens up security in the registry and may have gone a bit too far for certain systems.

Offline avragorn

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2011, 10:15:06 AM »
Hello,

I have the same problem, did you find any solution please ?

I can't use FixIt, it says that it doesn't work on my computer, even if I have windows XP SP3, legal copy (installed when I bought the computer to Fujitsu Siemens).

As all other people, I uninstalled AVAST with AWSCLEAR and I installed the new AVAST version. I uninstalled AVAST after seeing Windows Media Player in red, and Windows Media Player went back with its normal colour, then I installed AVAST again, Windows Media Player became red again. So there is something in the program :( I have the latest version (6.0.1044).

I hope there will be a solution  :)

Thank you very much in anticipation,

- avra -
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:19:03 AM by avragorn »
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Dch48

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2011, 05:48:38 AM »
Does this only happen with XP Home? Or has it also been seen with XP Pro? I'm running Pro and have had no problems.

YoKenny

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
Does this only happen with XP Home? Or has it also been seen with XP Pro? I'm running Pro and have had no problems.
No problem on my XP Pro system.  :)

Offline avragorn

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2011, 02:01:11 PM »

I have XP Home SP3.

As I already wrote in the thread about the new build of AVAST 6, I installed this new build this morning (since wednesday I had Kaspersky that is really too heavy - before you ask I write that I uninstalled it  ;D) and the problem still happens.

I am not the only AVAST user having this issue.

So I installed the latest build of AVAST 5, there is no issues, WMP11 perfectly works !

Thank you very much :)

My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

YoKenny

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2011, 02:13:59 PM »
Please Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information  then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your aol.com email address.

I believe having a red WMP11 is due to the Windows Display Properties:
http://www.marthas-web.com/display.htm

Especially the Themes:
http://www.marthas-web.com/_imagefiles/themestabimage.htm

Offline avragorn

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2011, 04:55:10 PM »
Please Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information  then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your aol.com email address.

I believe having a red WMP11 is due to the Windows Display Properties:
http://www.marthas-web.com/display.htm

Especially the Themes:
http://www.marthas-web.com/_imagefiles/themestabimage.htm

Thank you, I changed my profile :)

And ... about red WMP 11 ... why it is normal with AVAST 5, and KASPERSKY I tried a few days ? As I wrote I installed again AVAST 5 because of that. There is something in AVAST 6 that makes WMP 11 becoming red ... did someone show his rear to my WMP 11 that became red because of shame ?  ;D No, seriously there is something in AVAST 6 that makes changes in windows XP home edition. I only found the WMP 11 issue but maybe are there some other issues :(