Author Topic: Windows 98, Win98, shutdown shut down problem  (Read 5315 times)

LoungeLezard

Windows 98, Win98, shutdown shut down problem
« on: September 12, 2004, 10:01:27 AM »
After having installed and begun to use Avast 4 Home, I faced a shut down problem.
My computer (with windows 98 operating system - os) never finished to close down properly. I repeated this incident several time. So every time I boot my PC, Scan disk executes itself.

I have no idea about what to do. Did someone experimented the same problem ?

Thanks for any help.

LoungeLezard

bassbag

Re:Windows 98, Win98, shutdown shut down problem
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 12:42:29 PM »
Type msconfig in start>run and under general tab>advanced make sure disable fast shutdown is ticked.Another problem that can occur (does with my w98se) is a sound file that executes on windows shutdown for example can cause the system to hang.Go intosettings> control panel>sounds>and disable any sounds you may have that sound off when closing windows.I have found from experience that its best to disable sounds in avast to on my 98se system.If you are running 98 secon edition ,also google for shutdown issues as there is a patch that can help.Bear in mind 98/se is notorious for shutdown issues and doesnt always close processes that are still working.A visual cpu monitor can help as you can see whther theres something still working (using cpu cycles)in the background before shutting down.I would recommend procee explorer (free) from here..
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
You can set it to show cpu usage in system tray , and also to see what seems to be hogging the cpu.
me

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 02:35:30 PM »
Microsoft has released a patch for this a very long time ago.

LoungeLezard

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 09:47:15 AM »
Thanks for your contributions. Just to say, I run Windows 98 fist edition (and not SE).
I uninstalled Avast and I ran Windows update after the problem I signaled occured. Everything went back to order.

I installed again avast and ... I reproduced the same problem (invalid shut down).

I uninstalled Avast a second time and I am there today (13/09/2004).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »
If I'm not wrong, the first version of Windows 98 (not SE) has a lot of bugs for shutting down and stand-by operations...
Even Windows 98 does not manage power supply with easy.
Right now, I think it will be 'difficult' to solve a Microsoft trouble of shutting down but, who knows  ::)
The best things in life are free.