Author Topic: Avast blocks internet after installing Win 7 SP1  (Read 15670 times)

Teaius

Avast blocks internet after installing Win 7 SP1
« on: February 27, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »
Just after installing Win7 SP1 from Windows Update Avast blocks internet access from any browser and also blocks my email client.

If I disable the Avast! web shield and email shield the browsers and email client work again. If I activate the web shield and email shield those programs continue working.

Please, check this issue because is annoying to do this every startup.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast blocks internet after installing Win 7 SP1
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:14:53 PM »
What other security software are you running with avast,eg firewall and have you allowed all instances of avast in your firewall if your using something other than the windows one which doesn't need exclusions for avast.

Teaius

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
I am running PC Tools firewall. Everything was working before SP1 with all instances allowed to work.

Anyway I uninstalled avast from control pane, and after that in order to be completly sure avast was uninstalled I also run the uninistall utility. Then I reinstalled avast again and gave all permissions to the instances when asked by PC Tools firewal. The problem remains, I have to disable/enable web and email shields after every startup in order to habe both internet and mail working.

swblackdawg

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 01:43:02 PM »
Hi, yes I have exactly the same software and same problem as yourself  and blackest (in the  general forum) but on three different computers (two desktops running 32 bit and 1 laptop running 64 bit) all with fresh installs of the software.  All 3 pcs were able to communicate fine until I installed the SP1 update, prior to the update they all had Avast and PC tools etc working alongside each other OK.  All other internet communication works fine unless it requires the browser to work.  If I de-install SP1 everything works again but obviously this is far from ideal.  Also until I do the workaround my hard drive light is on permanently and the computers are mega slow.  A workaround I found was to stop the web shield temporarily, fire up IE8 and after it has loaded the home page immediately turn on the web shield again.  The browser will continue to work correctly even if closed and restarted.  The problem will recur again once I reboot the computer and I have to go through it all again.  By the way the problem still occurs if I disable the PC Tools firewall although I haven't yet uninstalled it.  I am no computer expert but reading through the help screens removing Port 80 permanently wilst browsiing may be very dangerous as if I have understood the help info this means that Avast will not be checking your web traffic.  I have tried resetting IE8, disabling all add-ins but this doesn't work.  I am hoping the avast team can look at this as it seems to me this maybe a generic SP1 upgrade conflict with Avast.   

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:21:28 PM »
There have been a few issues lately with pctools firewall since avast moved to version 6 around the same time as SP1 became available, as far as i know its a problem with pctools so i would suggest to uninstall it and see how you go, other good free firewalls are privatefirewall and online armor, outpost is also good but i think that there is some problems at the moment on 64 bit systems.

Teaius

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:26:24 PM »
I've uninstalled PC Tools firewall and after reboot I had no problem accessing internet with my browsers and also no problem with email client.

Then, whose is the fault? Win 7 SP1, avast, or PCTools?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »
See http://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=10453.  There are problems with WIN7 SP1.  The one quoted below may be causing your problems.

- Firewalls: Third party firewalls may find that some of the low level hooks they use have changed.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »
I've uninstalled PC Tools firewall and after reboot I had no problem accessing internet with my browsers and also no problem with email client.

Then, whose is the fault? Win 7 SP1, avast, or PCTools?

Some of the firewalls just have to do a bit of catching up, i dare say that there will be quite a few programs that will be putting out new releases to fix the issue's they have with SP1.

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 04:49:40 PM »
Some of the firewalls just have to do a bit of catching up, i dare say that there will be quite a few programs that will be putting out new releases to fix the issue's they have with SP1.

PCT Firewall is in semi-abandoned state and wouldn't rely on it long term at all. Definitely huge problems w/ W7 SP1 as a quick look at their support forums confirms. Better have a look at one of the many available free alternatives.

Teaius

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »
Do you know any good free replacement for PCTools?

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 07:37:30 PM »
Online Armor Free
Privatefirewall
Outpost Security Suite Free
Comodo Internet Security

Be careful with the last two to NOT install any of the antivirus components!

street_lethal

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 03:14:01 AM »
It's PC Tools Firewall causing the issue.

Anyway, here's a comment from the PC Tools forum about it from who I think is one of their developers. I mentioned it on their forums and this is part of his response.

"Unfortunately, with the final release of SP1 several network components were changed. It seems, most important are the changes in windows filtering platform migrating from Win7 SP0 to SP1.PCTFW+ team will provide the solution asap."

I wouldn't hold my breath for a speedy update from them, their updates for their firewall have been very slow since 2009. They had one update since 2009 and that was version 7.... which now doesn't work with SP1.

I'm currently using Online Armor Free with Avast 6 on Win 7 x64 SP1 and have had no issues to date. I have HIPS and the web shield disabled in OA, i'm using just the firewall, I didn't want any conflicts with Avast. Online Armor installs it's own driver which is why I suspect it doesn't have an issue with the windows filtering platform update in SP1.

By the way, I also had issues with Privatefirewall and Comodo with Avast 6 and Win 7 SP1, just to give you a heads up.  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:22:40 AM by street_lethal »

ronnycopeh

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 03:58:27 AM »
Had no problem at all with comodo after updating to windows 7 sp1

NTxLS

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 04:15:29 AM »
Greetings from one that is not a Geek-a-zoid or even a computer repairerer.

Just to inform you this is NOT an advertisement, I too am running Win7 64bit on a Dell Inspiron 531s but using Windows Firewall default settings as I have not attempted to make any changes, seems to work just fine without me messing with it.  Now on Avast!6 but not using the WebRep or SandBoxie.  Most all settings are default except for the PUPs.  Have not attempted the SP1 install for Win7 just yet, from the reports I have read it is just the same-o-same of all updates to now.  I am awaiting some better reports on this SP1 before I do my install.

Have found it best for us novices to wait a little bit and see if there are any kinks and if Microsoft will work them out ASAP.  Of all the AV softwares and various other scanners and removers I have found Avast! 5 and 6 seem to work just fine with several other spyware, malware, what other names are used and if you feel comfortable with the pair of shoes you have keep them, the same goes for the software you are using.  If it works don't fix it or mess it up.
That is my $0.01.5 worth,

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 05:59:25 AM »
Greetings from one that is not a Geek-a-zoid or even a computer repairerer.

Just to inform you this is NOT an advertisement, I too am running Win7 64bit on a Dell Inspiron 531s but using Windows Firewall default settings as I have not attempted to make any changes, seems to work just fine without me messing with it.  Now on Avast!6 but not using the WebRep or SandBoxie.  Most all settings are default except for the PUPs.  Have not attempted the SP1 install for Win7 just yet, from the reports I have read it is just the same-o-same of all updates to now.  I am awaiting some better reports on this SP1 before I do my install.

Have found it best for us novices to wait a little bit and see if there are any kinks and if Microsoft will work them out ASAP.  Of all the AV softwares and various other scanners and removers I have found Avast! 5 and 6 seem to work just fine with several other spyware, malware, what other names are used and if you feel comfortable with the pair of shoes you have keep them, the same goes for the software you are using.  If it works don't fix it or mess it up.
That is my $0.01.5 worth,

When you're right, you're right, but service packs aren't to be compared with a nice pair of shoes.

While you can wait a few weeks or a month before applying them (even that is a stretch) it's best to get updates installed as soon as possible.  If you have some other software that doesn't work because of it, it's probably because they're either A) Lazy or B)Poorly coded.

Either way, you should remove or not use THAT software, but windows updates should not be ignored.

I hear people complain all the time that this update broke this, or that update broke that, but the simple fact is that the update patched something that was broken, and the software that is now broken because of said update, was flawed to begin with.

If you want to have a secure and stable computer, it's in your best interest to keep up with patches.  'Nuff said.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum