Author Topic: after update virusengine my license disapears  (Read 6470 times)

BORA2500ETX

Re: after update virusengine my license disapears
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 11:59:52 AM »
Yeah, I know what you're thinking: Trend Micro causes avast to crash.
But the fact is, before I re-installed windows, Avast hadn't a single problem with the old deleted antivirus.
And you're right: it hasn't anything to do with inserting the license, is't more like: Avast want's to check for an update, then the update can't download and THEN I get the message with 'couldn't update', trial period not activated etc.

Well, when I saw that problem again yesterday, I tried to activate the trial license, but I got a popup saying it wasn't possible (dunno anymore what it said exactly), with my license file the same problem.

Tried the last thing too, but doesn't help. :) Well, I'll update you guys if I find the solution to my problem, it's maybe useful for other people in the future... :P

ady4um

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 12:12:47 PM »
It sounds "like" the license files you are trying are not compatible with the Avast edition and version you have installed (independently of the downloading problem).

In addition, is your computer clock giving you the correct date/time?

For the license issue, you may want to try again the removal utility for Avast and then installing Avast Free with a clean new setup just downloaded (Avast Free latest stable version). Then please reboot before testing it.

The reason I suggest this is because the Free (NOT trial) edition for Avast would be enough to check any related problem and the download issue for Avast updates, and the firewall component is not there (so less components and interactions to test). Once this configuration works and all the issues are solved, then you could uninstall the Free edition and install yours with your original license.

BORA2500ETX

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
Will try that, I got a license file for Avast internet security and that's the one I installed. :)
Clock is giving right time (dunno if it's completely correct, but I think so) Anyway, my clock is synchronized with time.windows.com. :P

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »
Will try that, I got a license file for Avast internet security and that's the one I installed. :)

What do you mean with "I got" a license. Are you sure it is a valid legal one? That may be part of your license problem.

Clock is giving right time (dunno if it's completely correct, but I think so) Anyway, my clock is synchronized with time.windows.com. :P

The exact time is not so important in this context, but the date is important for your license.

BORA2500ETX

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
I bought that license yeah, if that's what you mean... And I'm 100% sure it's a valig legal one. It worked for about 2 moths until I was cleaning up my computer and when I then tried to update my virus database, avast refused to do so and if I looked to my license file then, there was this problem (screenshot is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29409272/Avast%20problem.png (same problem has returned))
As you can see, it's not possible to activate the trial nor to insert my license again. :)

And my date is correct.

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »
I can't seem to understand the "real" problem (I mean, behind the behaviour).

If you install the *correct* edition of Avast, using a new download from the official site, and downloading the latest stable trial of the exact edition you purchased, you should be able to use it even without license for several days (30 days should be more than enough to find the problem).

So some step is not being performed correctly.

Either:

A_ the removal procedure with the removal utility for Avast (running under Windows Safe Mode, for ALL previous versions and editions of Avast you EVER had); or,

B_ the download procedure, selecting the correct edition, or the transfer is bad; or,

C_ the installation procedure is incorrect, or you are trying to solve the license/update issue without rebooting; or

D_ some other problem, like in your Windows for example; or

E_ some other security tool is conflicting, whether it is still installed or was installed in the past and some remnant is "bothering".

Even if there is some other problem (like a bug in Avast, just to give an example), the behaviour wouldn't be the one described.

So, please try cleaning up the potential "mess", re-downloading the correct file and reinstalling on a clean system. Then reboot and configure Avast. Don't use your license yet.

Test it without license, even for several days. As soon as you have a problem, report back, maybe attaching your setup.log too.

If all turns to work correctly during several days, only *then* try the paid license and report back.

If Avast would work correctly before the license, but wouldn't after applying the paid license, then maybe the file is corrupted. In such case, more (yet simple) instructions can be provided and followed. Report back and we'll see how to proceed according to your report.

BORA2500ETX

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 05:12:54 PM »
First of all, I know what I'm doing, it's not like I just try program versions, can't uninstall programs etc,

But, to give you a little bit more information:
  • Removal procedure is fine I think, I always uninstall, then clean my files and registry for bad entries and traces left behind. It gives no difference if I do that with the tools from Avast, or my own way, both work and I used them both in the past.
  • Download procedure: downloading Avast Internet Security trial on website, or in the mail from my order, both work, CAN update, DO say my license is okay. Until some time, then avast can't update anymore.
  • Installation is always the same with me: deleting other antivirus, cleaning etc, rebooting, installing avast, rebooting, inserting license.
  • A problem with windows was also one of my first ideas, but since I couldn't get it working and I indeed had some problems with windows, I did a clean installation yesterday, then my avast worked again and then suddenly (after a couple times of rebooting, installing chrome, some studying and watching youtube) I got the same problem. At that point, my license did work, for let's say 5 or 6 hours, and I was able to update the virus engine without any problem.
  • Security tool: Trend was installed with my laptop on arrival, but I removed it about 3 moths ago, installed avast, and it worked like a charm. The problems started last week while I was cleaning up some unused programs, games, etc.
    After my clean windows installation this weekend, I deleted Trend right away and cleaned up all the remnants, rebooted etc and installed Avast. Then (like I said a little bit higher in my post) Avast did work for some time. This makes me think it has nothing to do with an old security tool or antivirus? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Apart from that, I can give you a complete list of what I did since the problems started if you want and anyway, thanks for all the advice!

Will try your last idea now.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »
After reinstalling windows when you go to run the asus driver cd you should choose advanced or custom and untick all the things you dont want installed eg(nuance, trendmicro ) saves having to uninstall it, apply all windows updates then reinstall avast.
What program are you cleaning your system with as you might be wrongfully deleting files or registry keys.

ady4um

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »
OK, a couple of comments from your last report (but please first finish the previous test / steps, that could be enough to find the solution).

About using the original removal utilities (for Avast and for TrendMicro respectively), I would tend to think that the developers of those original security tools should know better than the users about what exactly needs to be removed. So IMO, it is not the same to run those removal utilities (developed by the developers of the security tools they remove) using the original instructions, than, for example, running CCleaner or Revo Uninstaller.

Moreover, for removing Avast for example, I *know* there are remnants that CCleaner might find even after running the specific removal utility, but I also know that those remnants are created by Windows, not by Avast, so they are not going to conflict with any other security tool I may want to install. I would suspect that something similar happens with other specific removal utilities for security tools.

The second aspect I would like to mention is that of "uninstalling features / programs / whatever" from Windows because you don't use it. Since you are troubleshooting, and you are still thinking about a complete re-installation of Windows (or at least, that was my impression), I would do it the other way around. I mean, after the re-installation of Windows, reboot and apply Windows Updates again and again with reboots in between, including the validation of your installation.

Once all Windows updates are applied and Windows is validated, reboot once more, uninstall TrendMicro under windows Safe Mode and follow the appropriate instructions so to run the removal utility for your specific version of TrendMicro. It is important to read their instructions in their website.

Besides TrendMicro, leave untouched the other tools / programs / features. Don't uninstall them. In ultimate case, you can uninstall them after the problem is finally solved.

Now, one aspect that I mentioned before is the potential corruption of your license. Since you say it starts working at first glance, and only then something happens, I would tend to think that the license is correct. But still, you should check for other types of corruption. One is hardware: you HDD where you install Windows and Avast.

The other is the filesystem itself. By uninstalling some features of windows, "something" might be happening. For example, even after 13 years, MS refuses to "completely" separate Windows (Explorer) from Internet Explorer. So the same could be happening with the network drivers or some other basic part of your OS / connection that turns into Avast updates failing.

Here the firewall rules and general configuration might have some part in this issue, together with some network drivers. BTW, since you are re-installing Windows (this weekend or anew), update the driver too.

And I am not forgetting the license itself. You could ask for a new license (with the same date), if anything else won't solve the problem. Since you said the license is not having problem at first glance, this doesn't seem to be the solution either, but we never know until we try.